Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 PM

609 posts, read 505,392 times

Advertisements

Credit Union all the way, if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 02:04 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,149,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I'm with SECU and I like that part of it but they're way behind tech-wise.
Maybe so, but way ahead in service and courtesy.

You can even get a free pass up to two days a year on overdrafts.

Best CD rates and low borrowing/credit card rates.

Glitzy tech doesn't make up for lousy, uncaring employees and ripoff fees.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:51 AM

43,252 posts, read 77,010,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I'd suggest looking into BB&T. I've been living here for over two years and they've worked with us on multiple accounts, home equity line of credit, and safe deposit box. They've always been friendly, fast, and efficient.
Agreed.
We've been with BBT for years, business and personal, and have always been satisfied with services and personnel. Fees are very reasonable.
Mrs. handles bill pay online, and I go to the bank to use ATM for pocket money, deposit hard checks, and inquire about other services.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:16 AM

715 posts, read 887,937 times
Support a local bank...BB&T/First Citizens. All the bank is for is Direct Deposit and online bill pay maybe a few checks.. You are giving any bank a nice interest free loan if you keep savings there....

Old 02-27-2015, 06:50 AM

814 posts, read 2,005,863 times
Another very very happy First Citizen's customer here. Was at Bank of America and got so fed up with their lack of service. I can tell tons of stories where First Citizen's have gone out of their way to help us. Interestingly, it was their mortgage people who we used first and were so impressed with their service that we moved all our accounts over there.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:31 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,748,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Maybe so, but way ahead in service and courtesy.

You can even get a free pass up to two days a year on overdrafts.

Best CD rates and low borrowing/credit card rates.

Glitzy tech doesn't make up for lousy, uncaring employees and ripoff fees.

That's true, but if one can join USAA you can have the best of both worlds.

And SECU rates are good, certainly much better than a traditional bank, but they are far from the best available.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:12 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,570,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Pretty sure you can't set up an account without going in person. Homeland Security and all that.
Interestingly enough, that's not true. You can setup bank accounts online with many institutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
Support a local bank...BB&T/First Citizens. All the bank is for is Direct Deposit and online bill pay maybe a few checks.. You are giving any bank a nice interest free loan if you keep savings there....
Why support a local bank? The people who work at the local Bank of America branches also live in the area, just like the people who work in BB&T or First Citizens. And really, in the end, why would I care which owner/stock holder profited from my fees?

I'm in the financial services business and know quite a bit about the inner workings of banks and credit unions of all shapes and sizes. For customer service and fee friendly places you cannot, repeat, cannot beat a credit union. There's a trade-off because they are typically very local and use off-the-shelf technology but if that's not an issue, they are always going to be the best option.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:18 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,074,921 times
If you want a local bank try First Bank in Apex

Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 AM

660 posts, read 1,005,595 times
Default Not Really! :-)

F.Y.I. - this is completely untrue. There are multiple banks, like GoBank, that are completely online and don't even have branches. I've been happy with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Pretty sure you can't set up an account without going in person. Homeland Security and all that.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:24 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,921,888 times
I also just set up an account at Bank of North Carolina remotely. I did not have to go in person to a branch at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary