Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:56 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,085 times

Advertisements

Yes - Take your PB catalog and go to High Point!

10 years ago, I fell in love with an upholstered chair & ottoman in PB. The price was kind of high and DH said no way. I took the PB catalog to Furnitureland South and one of the associates guided me through the showroom to show me the (almost) identical chair at a much lower price. Manufacturer (can't remember the name) made this item for PB.

I have also found items and "rooms" in magazines that I've done this with, as well. FLS, Boyles and Hickory FM are excellent furniture destinations.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,992 times
Default STEFANO chairs

Hi,
I saw your post about the chairs and seems like you don't like them. I have a set of 6 and would like to have more. Would you be interested in selling yours?
Thank you,
Tzur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongirl View Post
I agree with the previous posters who said to try furnitureland south & Mitchell Gold. I purchased beautiful Hooker furniture through Boyles. I also found a piece from Nicolas and Stone through a warehouse in Greensboro. You can get great quality somewhere else. I love pottery barn and have purchased many items to furnish my kids bedrooms. I also am in love with a console table. However, I did read an article in Smart Money magazine-that compared PB, Williams Sonoma, & Crate n barrel. Pretty much the quality was terrible for PB...however it appealed to a mass market all due to their expensive marketing advertisements (i.e. glossy catalogs).
Back in 2004, we purchased the Stefano Chairs, which happened to be in the article - The Stefano chair was the WORST made chair ever....however, I was sucked in when I saw it in the catalog and spent 1600 to have 6 chairs

Today, you notice their catalogs contain photos of how the construction of the item is, and more efforts seemed to be focused on their "QUALITY" furniture.....

The article also went in the wood quality...etc. All not that great. hope this helps

Old 01-21-2010, 02:42 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,106,871 times
I love PB (own lots of things from there) but when we moved here we bought our furniture from Whitley's in Zebulon. It's huge. You can spend the whole day there. Love that place.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 PM

114 posts, read 246,881 times
I owned a furniture business for 15 yrs....I would never buy from Pottery Barn. Poorly made chinese furniture!!! I used to sell a children's bedroom set that PB also carried, one day I noticed it was no longer solid wood but the panels were MDF.....the reason, PB wanted the manufacturer to lessen the cost so the could increase margins.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:55 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
funny this old thread rose from the dead today. we're getting our new PB dresser delivered in a few hours. it's our first time buying furniture from them. i'm still trying to swallow the cost! on top of their high prices, they charge a hefty fee both for shipment and for delivery (yes, they consider them seperate).

we like the look of a lot of their stuff, but we have had some luck finding look-a-likes at much more reasonable prices. for example, take this wine buffet:

Montego Wine Buffet & Hutch | Pottery Barn

they sell one at Sam's Club that looks JUST like it (minus the hutch) for $399! the only difference is the hardware and the design of the feet. the quality is exactly the same as well. we joined Sam's Club just to buy this thing, but even with the membership cost we (obviously) came out ahead. i can't find it on Sam's Club's site right now, but they typically don't have everything on their site that's offered in-store and vice versa. This is at the Morrisville location for anyone curious.

point is, if you look hard enough, you can find PB-like stuff pretty easy for a lot less cash. in the case of this dresser, though, we looked for over a year and came up short, so we finally just bit the bullet.

also, for those that do end up buying their stuff, here's a little trick i found out. you can buy '10% off' coupons from folks on ebay pretty cheap. yeah, it's pathetic to buy a coupon, but at the cost of their furniture, 10% is worth it. i looked online for promo codes, but could never find any.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 01-22-2010 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-22-2010, 04:17 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I also purchased an entire bedroom suite from PB because I WANTED IT! I searched for something that I could convince myself that was as nice and I kept coming back to that same bedroom suite.

So...I waited.

Last year, PB had a "special" where they gave you 10% off furniture AND if you opened up a PB credit card, they gave you $10 for each $100 you purchased. I got enough back to get the night stand for free!

I love love love that bed and I am so glad that I got it. If it isn't SOLID WOOD, it must be made of rock because it took 3 guys to move it!

I got rid of the credit card but they still send me "special coupons". Just recently they sent me a $25 free card if I spent $50.

Vicki

Vicki

Old 01-22-2010, 07:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
my experience has shown that particle board is much heavier than solid wood so you can't always go by weight.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
OK, so the dresser got here with no issues whatsoever, but I have an odd question for those that had stuff delivered by Pottery Barn. Is it common for the delivery guys to come with a gift? They gave my wife a single rose. It's no big deal; we just thought it was kinda odd.

Mike

Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 AM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times
I really like pottery barn and have bought furniture there. It is overpriced a lot of the time... you just have to do your homework. I have gotten good deals on some nice stylish pieces, but there are some really bad deals too. Just do some research! But I do like the store.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 AM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times
PS: the "rose" thing with delivery people sounds very odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary