Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 02:22 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times

Advertisements

I think I might do the same thing...we have exactly the same problem. Does anyone know if I can use pine straw as a cover while it is germinating instead of wheat straw? We have an awful lot in the back yard. I could just rake it up, throw down the seed and spread it back over. Is that a crazy idea? Would it smother the seedlings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 02:36 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Pine is very acidic. If you do use pine straw also smother with lime IMO. You can purchase lime very cheaply from home centers.

The best way to get fescue to be strong is a nice thick layer of good top soil. You'll want at least 4" if not more. Most builders bring in an inch or so or even worse just use sod, and that leaves fescue attempting to struggle through our ridiculously hard clay soil. The roots won't go down very deep and the summer heat (if it ever gets here) will burn it quickly. No variety of fescue will survive 90* temps with little water in direct sun for 8 hours a day.

You can always put down Bermuda seed (common) and fescue at the same time. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:18 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
This is all really helpful. I do need to get some sod too - that's a good point. The spot where my dog lands after launching herself from my deck will never sustain seedlings (stairs? What are stairs?)

Old 03-03-2015, 06:23 PM

5,150 posts, read 3,758,340 times
The builder put a Bermuda sod lawn down for me last year when I moved in. I am very happy about the way it took but I have a distinct feeling that I will only get to see what is a nice lawn the color of green for half the year.

Go for fescue it will be green for 8 months a year easy if you take care of it.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
The builder put a Bermuda sod lawn down for me last year when I moved in. I am very happy about the way it took but I have a distinct feeling that I will only get to see what is a nice lawn the color of green for half the year.

Go for fescue it will be green for 8 months a year easy if you take care of it.
Bermuda can and is over seeded in the fall with perennial rye. Don't use annual rye, yes it's cheap but looks horrendous.

This way you can have a green lawn most of the year.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:34 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
I put down fescue sod last fall and can tell you it is a lot of work to do properly (if you are doing it yourself). You need good uncompacted topsoil (several inches deep), the proper soil ph and adequate sun. It looked really good in the fall. Ask me in a few months or the middle of summer if it was worth it!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:39 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,408 times
There are now types of Zoysia you can grow from seed, but doing it with sod is still far easier. After three failed attempts to grow fescue, I finally gave in and got some Zoysia sod in last spring. It loves the hot weather of summer, unlike fescue which is on life support the whole time. If you have your heart set on fescue, it's normally planted in the fall as it's a cool-season grass. If your yard is already prepared, you can put down annual ryegrass to get you through summer.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:09 AM

5,150 posts, read 3,758,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Bermuda can and is over seeded in the fall with perennial rye. Don't use annual rye, yes it's cheap but looks horrendous.

This way you can have a green lawn most of the year.
Thanks I will check that out.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:41 PM

97 posts, read 125,948 times
Fescue requires a bit too much maintenance, in my opinion.

I'll probably replace the fescue with zoysia sometime soon. Zoysia requires less upkeep since it takes time to grow. It will turn brown in the winter, so it may not be every homeowner's cup of tea.

http://www.supersod.com/brochures/Tu...tion_Chart.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary