Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 AM

20 posts, read 26,288 times

Advertisements

Between CH, Cary, and Durham do any middle and high schools have a stand out performing arts department My daughter is in show choir here in MA. I've been perusing the school websites but would prefer knowledge from this forum about which schools are known for performing arts.

I see there are magnet schools in Durham….with the lottery system, my word, I don't see how I can count on that for my daughter to attend. But I also don't know anything about the School of Arts in Durham.

Our first trip (!) to the area is in three weeks. We will want to choose where we live based on the middle/high schools. One child will thrive in a large school, the other is more artsy and shy. My children are in 7th grade now.

Thanks y'all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:56 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Most of the regular schools in Wake County all usually have band, drama, chorus etc but schools with more of a focus on performing arts will be a magnets like Ligon, Martin Broughton and Enloe. A quick google search of WCPSS and show choir showed Holly Grove Middle, Broughton, Leesville, Wakefield. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Long Leaf Charter in Raleigh is also an arts focused charter high school.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:53 AM

20 posts, read 26,288 times
Thank you for the reply -- I had not looked at WCPSS at all - or Raleigh. I'll do that now!

Old 03-04-2015, 11:59 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Durham School of the Arts immediately came to mind, which you are aware of, but I don't know how one can be guaranteed a spot. I would check their web site for more info.

I do a lot of amateur theatre in Durham and tons of the young people in shows with me went there; I also hear amazing things about YPPC, the Young People's Performing Company based at the Durham Arts Council. There are student performing groups in Raleigh, too, but the YPPC seems like more of a "family" where once you've been a part of it, you're always "one of them".

This is independent of school, of course--they are a nights/weekends group but wherever your children go, you may want to know about this group if theatre is the kind of Arts you are interested in. There are also some great youth orchestras in Wake county.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:09 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Your daughter might be interested in this:

Community Chorus Project

Summer Recording Workshop sings "Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M. - YouTube

Old 03-04-2015, 01:27 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Most of the regular schools in Wake County all usually have band, drama, chorus etc but schools with more of a focus on performing arts will be a magnets like Ligon, Martin Broughton and Enloe. A quick google search of WCPSS and show choir showed Holly Grove Middle, Broughton, Leesville, Wakefield. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Long Leaf Charter in Raleigh is also an arts focused charter high school.
Lamishra is correct -- if you want to ensure a variety of performing arts classes at a WCPSS school, you should focus on the magnet schools. IME, electives seem to vary at the "regular" schools. For instance, my dd's middle school does not offer drama or chorus. But she can take dance or pottery.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:59 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,265 times
Durham School of the Arts is completely lottery based. You can never be assured of a spot there, even if you apply every year, 6-12. Lottery results came out this past Friday for next academic year - my child had several friends who got in, and many more who didn't. It's by all means a great place, but unfortunately not one you can count on attending.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:43 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,064 times
Both of my kids are Enloe grads. My daughter was in chorus/drama and my son was in band. Typically their feeder schools are Carnage & Martin. They're all in the magnet program.

I have a friend whose daughter is at Long Leaf and loves it.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:46 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,951 times
Can not recommend Longleaf School of the Arts in downtown Raleigh enough! It is a 2 year old charter school with an incredible staff. My daughter goes there and loves it. Being a visual art minded kid, it fits her so well since so much of the curriculum (Math, Social Studies, Spanish, etc) include some form of art in the curriculum. But I also will let you know the classwork is quite hard. Many of the classes are AP and can involve a lot of homework some nights. Some parents (and students) are not prepared for that.

As a comparison, my son goes to Athens and one major difference I have seen between the schools is the students themselves. At Longleaf the students all seem to pull for one another. Don't get me wrong, Athens is a great school for my son, but there is a difference in how students treat one another between the schools. School size may have something to do with that as well. But the atmosphere there is highly conducive to creativity, imagination, and the arts.

Last Saturday the school performed a Caberet fund raiser and it was incredible. It really showed the various talents at the school from visual arts, performing arts, chorus and dance. The students organized and created the entire 2 hour performance themselves. From the tshirts, the brochures, the posters, the performances, the sound stage, the routines... all student driven. Many lessons about teamwork and organization for them. Outside of the school many of the kids and teachers participate at the Raleigh Little Theater and other theaters as well. Teachers and students alike are incredibly gifted.

Unfortunately the lottery is closed now for the upcoming year (Feb 28th). But parents and potential students have many opportunities to get a look at the school. They have shadowing days where your child can follow another student for a day. Also just last month offered hour long tours of the school for parents during the day. You get to see the kids interacting with the kids and get a real taste of the school day.

I would also recommend investigating their upcoming summer camps programs. I think there are more then 15 camps being offered. That would be another way to get to know the teachers and the school.

Check them out. Longleaf School of the Arts | College Preparatory Charter High School with a focus on the Fine Arts

Old 03-05-2015, 08:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icesobad View Post
Between CH, Cary, and Durham do any middle and high schools have a stand out performing arts department l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icesobad View Post
Thank you for the reply -- I had not looked at WCPSS at all - or Raleigh. I'll do that now!
If you were looking at Cary, you were looking at WCPSS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary