Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,061 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My husband and I are seriously considering a move to North Carolina from Colorado Springs. I figured I would post here to get some advice. Long story short, we (ahem, I) hate Colorado Springs. Too cold, too dry, too boring, too landlocked, too....well you get the point. We're Los Angeles natives who miss the coast, but are excited to try something new and put down roots with our two young kids (2 & 4 years old) and Basset Hound/Golden Retriever mix (Yeah. Look up Dug the Dog from the movie Up and that's what our fur baby looks like) (age unknown).

North Carolina just keeps popping up in random conversations and Google searches as somewhere affordable, awesome, and less than 16 hours from the beach. We've zoned in on Raleigh for a number of reasons, but mostly because it seems like the perfect mix of big city, with surrounding small picturesque towns, tons of stuff to do, and a good place for my hubby to get a job in IT/ Networking/ Computer Science once he graduates with his Bachelor's in June. As for me, I love getting super involved in the local community with a focus on child and family services and am hoping to find something that helps grow and nurture this passion.

We will be visiting the area from March 24th-31st (2015) and would love the inside scoop on neighborhoods, jobs, awesome places to check out, parks, and anything else that might be informative.

A little more about us: We are in our late 20s/early 30s. He enjoys motorcycles, video games, and tattoos. I enjoy classic movies, music, theater, and event planning. Our kids love dinosaurs, dress-up, and being outdoors. Our dog likes to sleep.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 04:44 PM

494 posts, read 814,325 times
If you read through the threads, lots of the information you want has answered recently. The North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences has a dinosaur exhibit at the moment that I am sure your kids will enjoy. Special Exhibits | North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences

Old 03-04-2015, 04:57 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,351,630 times
Start with this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-photo.html

After that, read through or do a search of the many similar threads that exist, such as:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ny-advice.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...apex-area.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...hill-cary.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ion-areas.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ll-thread.html

After that, come back and ask specific questions. You'll get lots of answers and help.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,061 times
Thanks for the links to other threads!

Besides Craigslist, Indeed and Career Builder, are there any local job search websites, staffing companies, etc.? While we are in town later this month we'd like to do plenty of research on jobs, as that is going to be a huge factor in determining our move. Any insider advice on landing a job at some of the larger tech companies?

Also, what is the average pay range for a nanny or home child care provider? That is the type of work I do out here, but the pay rate for child care is much lower in CO than when I worked in CA. Does anyone know where I could find information for that?

On the previous threads, people recommend many cities outside of Raleigh (Cary, Holly Springs, Apex, etc.) but what about specific neighborhoods/cross streets that would be good for a young family in those areas? We want to be near really good schools and in a friendly neighborhood with other families and kids. Here in Colorado, we are the only family with young kids on our entire street and in 3 years we haven't really gotten to know our neighbors because everyone keeps to themselves. I grew up playing outside with my neighbor friends and would love my kids to have that too. Perhaps recommendations for a local rentals website or references for a good Realtor we could meet with while we're in town to ask these questions?

Old 03-06-2015, 02:48 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Remember that home care in your home may violate zoning or HOA covenants. Also, homeowner's or renter's insurance does not cover home businesses. Any accident may take all you own and push you into bankruptcy.

Your budget will mandate where you live.

Prices and rents are jumping here because of the influx of transplants, many with high incomes. It is not as affordable as a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary