Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRN View Post
... what types of food poisoning can cause symptoms in 30 min in a developed country?
Scombroid poisoning. Quote from Scombroid food poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Symptoms

Symptoms are described below. They occur within 10–30 minutes of ingesting the fish and generally are self-limited. People with asthma are more vulnerable to respiratory problems such as wheezing or bronchospasms. However, symptoms may show over two hours after consumption of a spoiled dish. They usually last for about 10 to 14 hours, and rarely exceed one to two days.
The first signs of poisoning suggest an allergic reaction with the following symptoms:
  • facial flushing/sweating
  • burning-peppery taste sensations in the mouth and throat
  • dizziness
  • nausea
  • headache
  • tachycardia
  • cold-like symptoms
Additional symptoms

The above symptoms can advance to:
  • facial rash
  • torso or body rash: The rash associated with scombroid poisoning is a form of urticaria, but most commonly does not include wheals (patchy areas of skin-swelling also known as hives) that may be seen in true allergies.[3]
  • edema (this is generalized if it occurs at all)
  • short-term diarrhea
  • abdominal cramps
Severe

In the worst cases, the poisoning may cause:
  • blurred vision
  • respiratory distress
  • swelling of the tongue
In rare cases, the poisoning may result in death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 10:34 AM

84 posts, read 128,467 times
Thank you for the education!

Old 03-16-2015, 06:24 PM

328 posts, read 767,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
If it was food poisoning, it wasn't from what you ate at RR. It takes a minimum of 8 hours for food poisoning to effect you. Think about what you might have had in the 8-24 hours before.

Staph aureus can cause illness after an hour of eating it. It is definitely possible someone had an open cut or wiped their nose and contaminated the lettuce, bun, fries, etc. Edit: I see other people have beat me to the Staph comment.

That being said, I just now saw this thread and I ate at the Brier Creek Red Robin last Tuesday. I have a degree in Environmental Health and I normally look at sanitation grades in every restaurant I go to, but I have been to this RR several times over the past year, and there was no wait when I got there last week, so I didn't even think about it. I won't be back, that's for sure (much to the dismay of my husband who never worries about that stuff). Thank goodness we didn't get sick. Edit: Please, Goddess, no, since it hasn't been ten days yet. *crosses fingers*

Last edited by redandorangeskittles; 03-16-2015 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: read comments by others

Old 03-17-2015, 03:32 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
I was surprised to discover the other day that Red Robin is a publicly traded company. Sounds like they're skimping on management training to squeeze a few more pennies out of their quarterly results.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I was surprised to discover the other day that Red Robin is a publicly traded company. Sounds like they're skimping on management training to squeeze a few more pennies out of their quarterly results.
Transient work environment. Hard to say what the cause was.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:29 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandorangeskittles View Post
Staph aureus can cause illness after an hour of eating it. It is definitely possible someone had an open cut or wiped their nose and contaminated the lettuce, bun, fries, etc. Edit: I see other people have beat me to the Staph comment.

That being said, I just now saw this thread and I ate at the Brier Creek Red Robin last Tuesday. I have a degree in Environmental Health and I normally look at sanitation grades in every restaurant I go to, but I have been to this RR several times over the past year, and there was no wait when I got there last week, so I didn't even think about it. I won't be back, that's for sure (much to the dismay of my husband who never worries about that stuff). Thank goodness we didn't get sick. Edit: Please, Goddess, no, since it hasn't been ten days yet. *crosses fingers*
This is kind of my point. You can have a 99.5, only loosing points for not wearing gloves, or even a 100 if they wiped their nose once. Yet as you have stated, it is still possible to get poisoning and the grade does NOTHING to protect you. The grading system is beyond bogus.

And for all those that are quoting about things that can hit you within an hour: OP said immediately. It's not possible to get food poisoning "immediately", and very unlikely to get it in less than an hour. It is a fact that if there were any sort of systemic food bourne illness, that others would have gotten sick, and it would have been tracked, and the public notified. If it was a one-off (like open cut or runny nose), then the food grading really wouldn't have had much impact. (I read the report earlier, I am not sure, but I don't think they cited them for lack of gloves or nose-wiping, or similar things that might cause this.)

FWIW: I have learned a lot reading this thread, and I do stand corrected on my 8-hour stance. I also stand behind my statement that if the OP was anywhere close to "immediately effected", it was not due to RR Food Poisoning.

(And I have ignored several other similar comments without responding. I couldn't take it any longer.)

Old 03-17-2015, 07:54 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
The grading system is beyond bogus.
I wouldn't go that far. The grading system is definitely not perfect, and can't protect you from everything, but it does give you some idea of the restaurant's cleanliness. I think it would be impossible for any food service business, or the government to guarantee your safety 100%.
I was waiting in line recently at the HT deli, and it was obvious the guy cutting the meat had a cold. Did management know? I doubt it. I was lucky to witness this before I placed an order and moved on.

Last edited by Not_liking_FL; 03-17-2015 at 08:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary