Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,091 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My husband and I will be moving to the neighborhood near the end of May (coming from Apex). I have a few questions related to school and swim teams.

1. My 11 year old will start middle school in the fall. It's my understanding that this neighborhood was originally assigned to Davis Drive middle but with the recent changes is now assigned to Salem Middle. I'm wondering if most kids in the neighborhood attend Davis or Salem? My goal is to try (who knows what will actually happen) to get her in the same school as the majority of kids in the neighborhood. This usually makes it easier for her to make friends. Since schools have different schedules and calendars, different schools can make it difficult.

2. My oldest is also a year round swimmer for MOR. I know there's no pool in the neighborhood and that's fine. What's typical for the area? Do families join a swim club for the summer - like Scottish Hills? I know they are near and have a summer swim team.

3. If anyone swims with MOR or knows of someone near that area swimming with MOR, I'll be looking to join a new carpool once we move.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Scottish Hills Swim and Rec
YMCA is very popular.
River Rock Swim Club is about 4 miles up Cary Parkway.

I think you will find that most kids are assigned to Salem MS.
DDMS is capped anyway.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:24 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I think that area is pretty evenly split between DDMS and Salem. People who were expecting to attend DDMS are applying for transfers back. As Mike said, DDMS is capped for next year so you're out of luck there - you had to have lived in the base zone before they capped it to get in.

Nice area. Enjoy!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:24 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Davis Drive Middle is capped next year so I would not have high hopes of transferring into it even if the majority of the neighborhood is going there. Just my 2 cents but I would rather not be in an overcrowded school even if it is considered highly desirable.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:30 PM

You can't transfer to a school once it's capped. That's the point of the cap.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:32 PM

Salem MS is hardly a downgrade, IMO.

Good school and desirable.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Salem MS is hardly a downgrade, IMO.

Good school and desirable.
I agree. Just a difference between traditional and YR.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree. Just a difference between traditional and YR.
And capped vs. uncapped.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,091 times
I appreciate the feedback. I don't really have a preference for either middle school -- just want to make sure she's attending the school as the other kids in the neighborhood. I didn't realize Davis Drive is capped, so that narrows down the options. Most of the middle schools rank about the same so there's not a huge difference. I like the idea of not being at a capped school. She's currently at Apex Elementary and while it's not capped, her class size is 33 kids. The teachers don't have enough time to devout time to all the children. And as long as that area is not redistricted again (we'll see!), then she'll be at Green Hope for high school, which is a great option.

Thanks again. We are looking forward to our move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary