Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:35 PM

11 posts, read 39,240 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going to be moving from California in a few months for my job and I've been doing tons of research (and forum reading). The things we're looking for in a new neighborhood are:
- young families (we're 30ish with a 2 yr old)
- a place we can walk at night and see lots of the neighbors
- good park access for the kiddo and SAHM
- someplace we can grab take out food without driving 20mins

We're both golfers, so started our search for that in Chapel Hill, but found the following drawbacks and was wondering other's opinions:
- Governor's Club - older community, not kid friendly, tons of mixed reviews on Chatham Schools, "not really" Chapel Hill from what people on these boards say
- Preserve at Jordan Lake - schools again, plus the commute might be a challenge for me
- Chapel Hill CC - not really a community so couldn't find consolidated reviews
- Meadowmont - a wee bit pricey, no golf
- Larkspur - no golf, not a ton of info
- Brier Creek - too close to the airport, not Chapel Hill, but convenient for work
- Chapel Ridge - probably too much of a commute for me

Right now we're really focusing on Chapel Hill, so that's where I'm seeking advice. I've got a backlog of questions later for the Cary and Durham areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times
Southern Village?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:19 PM

147 posts, read 471,453 times
You can't think about it in California terms. The triangle is a very different place, at least for now. Developers are trying to turn it into L.A. though.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the pointer. Looks like a pretty tough community to find a place in, based on demand. I see a lot of mention of public transportation. Are bus routes pretty popular in Chapel Hill?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 PM

147 posts, read 471,453 times
There are buses in Chapel Hill. Remember, it is a college town with 28,000 students. Almost everything there has to do with the university in some way. Thus, there are buses around that bring people into town to the university. There are parking lots that ring Chapel Hill with buses to bring people in. I'm not sure someone looking to live in a gated golfing community would be hip to the buses, but you never know. It's not like NY or SF with everyone riding the subway, of course. It's a college town of 50,000 people or so.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:56 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
I would take Golf out the the equation and try and find a house within 5 minutes of UNC golf course.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:30 AM

144 posts, read 520,262 times
I would agree. If you take being in a golf community out of your search, you will be more likely to get most of your other criteria in.

A couple of comments since I live and work here.
- Governor's Club - older community, not kid friendly, tons of mixed reviews on Chatham Schools, "not really" Chapel Hill from what people on these boards say - Additional fees for golf, tennis, club house are very high
- Preserve at Jordan Lake - schools again, plus the commute might be a challenge for me - Where are you commuting to? Very kid friendly community and golf fee is dirt cheap.
- Chapel Hill CC - not really a community so couldn't find consolidated reviews Meadowmont - a wee bit pricey, no golf
- Larkspur - no golf, not a ton of info
- Brier Creek - too close to the airport, not Chapel Hill, but convenient for work
- Chapel Ridge - probably too much of a commute for me - Sister community to The Preserve at Jordan Lake but newer. Again, where are you commuting to.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,414 times
Meadowmont and The Oaks, while not "golf course communities" are virtually within walking distance of both the UNC Finley course and the Chapel Hill Country Club.

We recently moved from California to Meadowmont because we wanted the same kind of walking community you described. It has sidewalks on both sides of the streets, smaller lots with houses closer to the street, front porches, and lots of people out jogging, walking dogs, strollers, etc. You can walk to the grocery store, shops, dry cleaners, bank, etc., and there is an excellent neighborhood elementary school the kids can walk to.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the replies folks. My office will be around RDU, so perhaps the Preserve is do-able (40 mins?). Meadowmont and the Oaks are close enough to UNC Finley and CHCC, so I'll definitely look closely when I'm in town in 3 weeks!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:12 PM

38 posts, read 123,826 times
If you dont' mind a 10 minute drive to the Chapel Hill Country Club or Finley, I'd also look into Southern Village. The free bus line goes right throught it. There's a huge new community park being built there. It has its own elementary school, and the middle school is also walking distance. (Heck, even the new Carrboro High is walking distance if the kids like a good walk.) Southern Village has a wonderful green that hosts summer movies and a farmers market, theatre and musical acts. There is a movie theatre, great restaurants, a Weaver Street Market (organic grocer), pediatric dentist and pediatrician, gelato shop and more. There is a pool & tennis club, and walking trails throughout. It is incredible kid friendly with several playgrounds interspersed throughout the neighborhood. Commute to RTP is about 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary