Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 09:42 AM

27 posts, read 31,000 times

Advertisements

Never done this before... Never had anything but natural gas. How much can I expect to pay to have natural gas connected to my home (and to have the propane removed). I understand natural gas to be much less expensive, but I'm wondering if the connect/switching costs will be more than we can bite off right now. Waiting on a call back from the gas company, but they said it will probably be tomorrow before someone contacts me :/

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 10:15 AM

663 posts, read 1,619,258 times
Interesting. So what to homes in the area typically have? Mine is a late 2006 built home and PSNC is the gas provider.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:30 PM

4,164 posts, read 4,876,880 times
It really depends on the location of a suitable gas main relative to your property as to whether PSNC can provide service to your home. If your current gas appliances are set up for natural gas then the burner jets will need to be converted to use propane, and that is assuming conversion kits are even available for them.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:11 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,355,335 times
I did this a few years ago., but can't remember the exact costs. You will need to convert any gas appliances from propane to natural gas, replace the hot water heater if it uses gas, and having the propane tank removed from your property. For appliances, think fire places, range tops, and HVACs. The conversion is pretty simple, and involves swapping the propane regulator with one made for natural gas (I believe the part was the regulator). The hot water heater we had was propane-specific and had to be replaced (we opted for a tankless hot water heater). You will also want your propane company to dig up and remove the propane tank. This can be anywhere from free to several hundred dollars, depending on the company you are dealing with. The propane company will pump out the propane from the tank and reimburse you - in my case, $0.25 a gallon less than what I paid when I purchased the propane, dig up the tank and haul it off, and do a poor job of filling the hole with dirt.

I've been quite happy with the cost savings from switching to natural gas, and would do it without reservation if I was in a home with propane and natural gas was an option.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:21 AM

632 posts, read 1,844,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I did this a few years ago., but can't remember the exact costs.
Do you think you recouped your conversion costs in the first couple of years? Our subdivision is slated to have gas line available to it by next winter (hopefully!) if enough households will convert. Some only seem concerned that they have to pay to convert and don't understand that propane is more expensive than NG and that they'd soon come out ahead if they go NG.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary