Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:42 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithkeep View Post
You see any difference as compared with last year?
Seems worse.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:22 AM

750 posts, read 853,913 times
Hi this is our first spring in Raleigh and my husband thinks he's had a cold on and off for 2 weeks :-) is he probably having allergy symptoms ? Also my 4 year old has a few cold symptoms but I thought since there doesn't seem to be a lot of leaf growth in most of our trees that it wasn't pollen related. So you're telling me this could all be due to pollen right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,303 times
Yes, most likely due to pollen. Tree pollen is very high right now.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:40 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
Pine pollen is more of an irritant than an allergen. Pines produce a large pollen grain which has a waxy coat on it. The yellow pollen that you see on your car each spring is pine. Although highly visible, the waxy coating makes the pollen much less allergenic than many others, although it may cause respiratory symptoms by a irritant, non-allergic effect. According to this website, loblolly pine pollen is not an allergen Loblolly Pine (Pinus taeda) Species Details and Allergy Info
This website states pine pollen is too large to cause allergies. You can blame the oaks, hickories, ashes, and elms for that problem. But the sheer quantity of the pine pollen creates its own issues (duh). Loblolly Pine | Piedmont Gardener

According to the U of Florida, the relation between trees, people, pollen, weather, and allergenicity is complex. Plant allergy researcher Thomas Ogren provided a simple way to characterize the differences in potential allergenic effects among trees growing in close proximity to people by creating the Ogren Plant-Allergy Scale or OPALS (Ogren 2000). The OPALS scale helps homeowners and landscapers determine the allergenicity of plants. Trees are assigned a rating of 1 to 10 to measure their allergenicity, or potential to cause problems for allergic people. Most allergenic effects of plants were taken into consideration in the OPALS rating: reaction to contact with leaves and sap, reactions to odor, and effects of inhaled pollen. Plants assigned a 1 on the scale are least likely to cause allergenic reactions in most people, whereas trees assigned a 10 should be regarded as highly allergenic. Pines have an OPAL rating of 4.

Isn't Google amazing?

Old 03-17-2015, 09:20 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Hi this is our first spring in Raleigh and my husband thinks he's had a cold on and off for 2 weeks :-) is he probably having allergy symptoms ? Also my 4 year old has a few cold symptoms but I thought since there doesn't seem to be a lot of leaf growth in most of our trees that it wasn't pollen related. So you're telling me this could all be due to pollen right now?
Yes, my wife and I never experienced allergy related symptoms until we moved to this area. Feels like a cold, feel run down, eyes itch, light headache. We both only experience this during spring.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:46 AM

76 posts, read 220,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
Definitely feeling it today taking Claritin but have a bad headache and sneezing. Here we go again.
Yep, started taking Zyrtec and will for the next 4 - 6 weeks.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:17 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Zyrtec is proven to be quite effective against spring time allergies. I should have gotten stock in it when I had the chance. smh. Flonase is available over the counter too now so that may help.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:07 AM

76 posts, read 220,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Zyrtec is proven to be quite effective against spring time allergies. I should have gotten stock in it when I had the chance. smh. Flonase is available over the counter too now so that may help.
You can get a year's worth on Amazon for $15... can't beat that. Same for the Claritan

Every 2 years I have to switch back and forth between Claritan (Loratadine), and Zyrtec (Cetirizine). You can build a resistance to seasonal allergy meds if you take them often, so you may want to switch back and forth every few years... just an FYI. Also, can use Allegra (fexofenadine)... just seems to be a few bucks more for them.

It's that time of the year again

Old 03-18-2015, 09:12 AM

171 posts, read 319,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett4ever View Post
You can get a year's worth on Amazon for $15... can't beat that. Same for the Claritan

Every 2 years I have to switch back and forth between Claritan (Loratadine), and Zyrtec (Cetirizine). You can build a resistance to seasonal allergy meds if you take them often, so you may want to switch back and forth every few years... just an FYI. Also, can use Allegra (fexofenadine)... just seems to be a few bucks more for them.

It's that time of the year again
Hmmm...I wonder if that's why my Zyrtec doesn't seem to be doing a thing for me this year. I may have to try Claritin or Allegra. Thanks for the info .

Old 03-18-2015, 11:44 AM

128 posts, read 242,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Here is a link to forsyth county that does a really accurate pollen count. Some other cities have it done by a doctor's offices where I am not sure they check it daily. https://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/EAP/pollen.aspx

From my experience, cedar pollen is bad in early March and then Oak and Pine pollen revs next month. It does give a lot of people cold symptoms. A good antihistamine like allegra or zyrtec helps. I also like the neilmed sinus wash that you can pick up at the drug store and mix distilled water with their salt packets.

Last edited by EricNC; 03-18-2015 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary