Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:06 PM

248 posts, read 494,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I disagree with your depreciation numbers, and anyone who takes their car to the dealer for service has more money than sense.
You can disagree with documented car value facts all you want. And many people who buy their car new pay little or nothing for service for the first few years.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:26 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokijoo View Post
You can disagree with documented car value facts all you want. And many people who buy their car new pay little or nothing for service for the first few years.
There's nothing written in stone to declare your numbers absolute truth. I've seen others that are different.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Right! Some cars come with free service for 4 years.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:09 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
I'm happy when I make the best financial decision, not when I make decisions based on ego and emotion.
If money were not an issue, I doubt you'd go out and buy a 5 year old car!

Don't be jealous! Work hard and you can have whatever you want!

Old 03-23-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
There's nothing written in stone to declare your numbers absolute truth. I've seen others that are different.
Car values are easily researched. If you want them carved in stone, look for engraver recommendations.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Cute. Jealousy isn't the issue. I can certainly afford to drive anything I want, just have different priorities. I have everything I want, actually.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Car values are easily researched. If you want them carved in stone, look for engraver recommendations.
Who's talking about values? I'm talking about rate of depreciation. Yours aren't accurate.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Who's talking about values? I'm talking about rate of depreciation. Yours aren't accurate.
And what do you think depreciation is? Diminished VALUE of the car. The fact that someone had to explain that one to you disqualifies you from further discussion with me.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
And what do you think depreciation is? Diminished VALUE of the car. The fact that someone had to explain that one to you disqualifies you from further discussion with me.
LOL, you are a piece of work. Obviously insecure, but definitely a piece of work. First year depreciation is more like 25%, btw.

Have a great day!

Old 03-24-2015, 08:26 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
When I sold cars, the wealthiest customers bought used. 3 yrs, under 40K miles was their usual goal, paying in cash. I assume if they could stroke a check for $32K, then $40K wasn't much of a stretch for them. The "millionare driving a used camry" is a real thing.

Quote:
Don't be patronizing. Just because he chooses not to take the heaviest part of the vehicle's depreciation doesn't mean that he can't have a new one. Anyone with a mediocre credit score and verifiable income can buy a brand new car. I've seen people welded into cars on seven year terms loans with no (or negative) equity up front. Hey, the bank said they could afford it, so it must be ok! Did they work hard? Maybe, maybe not, but now they worked hard for the bank. And, if they decide to sell the car, they will be upside down for years.

Look, there is nothing wrong with buying a brand new car. The full warranty, not inheriting someone else's problems, knowing 100% the accident history, not worrying about the smells and blemishes, are all very valid reasons for buying a new car. But there is no denying that it does come at the cost of owning the car during the steepest depreciation of its life, and that is the price you pay. For some people, it is a small part of an overall financial philosophy in which they minimize their exposure to necessities that go down in value, especially if they see the car as nothing more than an appliance to transport them.

Finally, to the OP...Good luck finding the rental. I will say that renting it for a day or two is far smarter than welding yourself into the traditional $30K Millionaire 3 series or C class lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary