Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 10:58 AM

6 posts, read 45,302 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to change careers in the next few years and I'm looking for some guidance. I'd like to enter the landscape/gardening field. I have over 10 years experience as a home landscaper/gardener but no formal training. I do have a college degree but in an unrelated field. I'd like to get into a certificate program and go from there. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 11:32 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,104,176 times
Moderator cut: inappropriate Low pay.

NCSU may have some programs if you want to be a business owner.

Last edited by autumngal; 06-03-2008 at 07:49 PM..

Old 01-13-2008, 11:35 AM

932 posts, read 1,267,103 times
ditto to what Saturn said...

You could go into landscape design/ architecture though, especially if you are interested in obtaining a degree.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 8 days ago)

43,086 posts, read 76,661,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranman View Post
I'm looking to change careers in the next few years and I'm looking for some guidance. I'd like to enter the landscape/gardening field. I have over 10 years experience as a home landscaper/gardener but no formal training. I do have a college degree but in an unrelated field. I'd like to get into a certificate program and go from there. Any suggestions?
Start with the end in mind:
Learn to create and deliver quality and innovation in design, installation, and maintenance, coupled with excellent customer service.
There will be a place for you in the market.
Sell that creative ability and don't concentrate on others' low labor costs.

Learn the economics of the business, but don't ever go into any business with price as your first point of competition. There will always be someone dumb enough to be willing to undercut you on price, no matter the cost to them or the customer.
"He'll mow for $22/trip? Well! I'll do it for $20." There's a blue ribbon recipe for poverty.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:36 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,104,176 times
Yes, but many customers don't think beyond price.

That's why some property owners can be burned if employees get hurt and employer has neglected to get workmen's comp coverage.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 8 days ago)

43,086 posts, read 76,661,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Yes, but many customers don't think beyond price.

That's why some property owners can be burned if employees get hurt and employer has neglected to get workmen's comp coverage.
That's why no smart or successful businessperson wants every customer. Some customers can't do business unless the other party is damaged.
I believe in "Win-Win, or no deal."

The OP has a concept, and appears to have a great deal of interest.
Guidance and advice to promote failure is readily available, all around any entrepreneur.
Success-oriented perspective also has reasonable credibility.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:50 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,126,532 times
If you are willing to volunteer your services for a while, you could do the "Master Gardener" program. They train as long as you commit to volunteering (I think it's 40 hours the first year and 20 in subsequent years). That could enable you to get to know the market, enhance your credibility, and help you figure out what to do next.

Extension Master Gardener

(Edited to add: as I read their site a little more, they aren't keen on having it used for commercial purposes. However, it still could be educational. Also, here's a link to NCSU's Landscape Design program: HS Landscape (http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/hort_sci/landscape/lndmain.html - broken link) . Check out the Raulston Arboretum, too.)

Old 01-13-2008, 05:25 PM

6 posts, read 45,302 times
Thanks everyone. Anyone know of certificate programs????

Old 01-13-2008, 05:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,213,450 times
Stranman,

I do not know of any specific certificate programs, but here are some interesting links that may give some good info about that: (FYI, I am not endorsing these websites, just offering them for your investigation):

NC Nursery & Landscape Association, Inc.

North Carolina Cooperative Extension: Commercial Horticulture, Nursery, & Turf

UNC-TV ONLINE: In The Garden:

NC State Nursery Crops Science Website

Also, do you listen to the Weekend Gardener radio show on News Radio 680 AM WPTF? It comes on every weekend from 8-10am. It is hosted by Mike Raley and they answer listener phone calls. They also have garden speialists and arborists call in from time to time. I think you should give them a call next weekend and ask them the question you have posted here. They have a lot of experience and might be able to point you in the right direction.

I liked Jlurks idea about the Master Gardener Program. I saw a booth at the Wake Forest Farmer's Market this past summer that had a garden master who was giving out advice to us amatures. Maybe you should stop by the farmer's market this spring and try talking to him if he is there.

Have you visisted some of the great nurseries here in Raleigh? Perhaps you could get a part time job there on the weekends to get quench your gardening bug and get your foot in the door for starting your own biz. Perhaps there is a good place up in Wake Forest to work as well. Here are the ones in Raleigh that I know about

Logans | One Stop Garden Shop

Atlantic Avenue Orchid & Garden Center - Garden Supplies, Gifts, Orchids, and Plants

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 01-13-2008 at 06:03 PM..

Old 06-03-2008, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,286 times
At the age of 34, I am also currently exploring a career switch into LA. This " thought" has led me to an extensive "research project" since it would be a big step for me. I hold an B.A. Technical Management and am interested in the 3-year MLA program offered by City College of NYC. Still waiting for the school's confirmation whether they are indeed an ASLA accredited program provider, please allow me to ask you two questions that I haven't been able to answer yet:

Assuming I would get into such program and successfully graduate, would it be difficult for me at the age of late 30 to find an apprenticeship? In other words, do employers prefer NOT to hire "adult trainees" or do you think it is more about good self-marketing, good education, etc?

Another question covering the "teamwork aspect in LA":
Do you often find an hierarchic among engineers, LAs, and architects in large projects or even power plays? I do understand that it is good to have constructive conflicts in teams... Sorry for coming across a little too critical. Hopefully you understand my intend -
Coming out of the Corporate World, I'd like to get a realistic picture about the world of LA and what to expect
before making any further moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary