Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 02:54 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,225 times

Advertisements

I live in Clayton, looking for a salon for my first ever Brazilian Blowout or Keratin Treatment (after a consultation by an expert). Have you found any places you LOVE and TRUST?
I checked older threads. I saw salons on Yelp/G+ with great reviews that aren't mentioned on those threads--so I'm hoping to start an updated thread on this topic.

(I've numbered this to help in reading, and commenting. Hope it helps!)
  1. I don't want my first smoothing treatment to get fried...I'm nervous, need some help, please. Should I pay a lot for a smoothing treatment at one of the best places around, and find a less expensive place for color touch ups & cuts? If so, do you have any suggestions for either?

2. I'm leaning towards the BB because then I don't have to keep my hair pristine/straight for 2-3 days like I would after a Keratin Treatment.

3. I'll travel for a good stylist who doesn't charge an arm and a leg, and listens, and is honest. I appreciate it when a stylist says a particular cut won't look good on me, and explains why.

4. I don't need bells & whistles (i.e., a bar [I don't drink]). If part of the price includes the cost of alcohol, it's not worth it for me, UNLESS the place is A++. A bar in a salon IS new to me, so let me know if I'm all wrong about salon bars.

5. When the time comes, I hope I won't have to pay $100 for a root color & blow dry once a month. Even $80 seems a bit high. Is this normal pricing here, or is that only usual for inside 440? (I'm not interested in Great Clips or similar franchises). What about outside Raleigh (northern Raleigh, like Brier Creek), or Apex, Fuquay Varina, Cary?

I went to Primp Salon & Bar at Crabtree Mall for a root touch up (they also have a place in Raleigh downtown, fair to good reviews as a salon). I was a walk-in, they were busy, I ended up getting my hair blow dried by 2 different people. Overall they were professional, friendly, just very busy.
  • 6. I paid $60 for that touch up, and didn't get charged for the blowout because I got shuttled between stylists, so it could have totaled about $85--that seems kind of high? Or no?
  • 7. The owner suggested a Keratin Treatment first, see how I like that, and then come back a week later and get a BB if I want. That was confusing. Both treatments are supposed to make the hair healthier, so why suggest both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 11:29 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
I have no information about BB but I recently started going to Rockandie Salon in downtown Clayton and I love it. Kendra does my hair and though not permanent she can make my naturally curly hair stick straight for a few days. Best cut I've had in years and she is great with funky hair colors. I'm boring right now but know others that she does. Reasonable prices. Shampoo,cut,dry and style $45. Highlights $100. So not great clips nor Alter Ego prices. I actually used to go and pay $60+ there and I'm much more satisfied with the price and experience in Clayton.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the info about the haircut. It's appreciated!

Old 03-19-2015, 01:31 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
I also like that it's not a salon that pressures you to buy their products. My last stylist spent more time trying to convince me I needed this and that product then how I actually wanted my hair cut.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:41 PM

Thanks! Now, all I need is a place someone trusts for a safe Brazilian Blowout...hope someone comments about that

Old 07-09-2015, 01:49 PM

Still looking for a good, affordable stylist who isn't afraid to tell me if a hairstyle I like won't look good on me. Also interested in organic products.

I did get a hair straightening treatment, called a Kenra treatment. It's pretty cool, all the frizz is gone, I still have slight waves in my hair, but no frizz!

Old 07-10-2015, 03:27 PM

128 posts, read 217,419 times
I am also in Clayton and wondering where you had your smoothing treatment done and how much did it cost thank you so muchy

Old 07-12-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposa10 View Post
I am also in Clayton and wondering where you had your smoothing treatment done and how much did it cost thank you so muchy
Sent you a PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary