Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 04:12 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it sounds like somehow WCPSS hasn't been made aware of an address change. That is what you describe.

Family moves across town, but Junior stays in that school for either the remainder of the school year, or their career at that school. Yes, under current rules that is allowed. However, when it comes time to change to middle or high school, that child is only supposed to attend based on their now-address.
It sounds to me like the OP may not have all the details about another family's personal school situation, which is likely a transfer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 05:30 PM

306 posts, read 719,986 times
Current WCPSS policy (emphasis on current) is that a student can "stay where they start" if a parent provides transportation. The student is assigned their base school (based on current address) for middle and high, and there are opportunities to request a transfer to another school. This (current) policy is a result of many years of change--we had "choice" a few years ago, (which really wasn't a choice), and we had the former policy of "you move, you have to go to that new base school" just to name the more recent policies.

Of course, this is if the address change is known. Many times it isn't until mail is returned to a school that the school is aware of the student moving.

There are no more feeder paths (currently). Each school may have a "majority" of students go to the same set of schools (Wakefield comes to mind), but many kids go to other schools upon the transition to middle and high.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:37 AM

245 posts, read 809,393 times
We have followed a similar pathway with our family, and I have to tell you, Ligon is worth the drive! It is no longer an option for families from my area (western Cary, Carnage is our AG magnet) but luckily my kids are grandfathered in thanks to their sister. I have heard positive things about Carnage, but I haven't even considered it. We will lose our Ligon bus this year but I have been so pleased with the school I will get used to driving daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: