Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:47 AM

850 posts, read 3,619,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRob View Post
Make sure you get it in writing about the pool. I believe there is someone in my subdivision, Plantation Pointe, that was told it was allowed, and now the HOA is fining them for putting one in.
It is SUPER important that one gets their hands on any subdivision Covenants BEFORE signing any contract - for exactly this reason. Most seem to be fairly lenient but there are def rules and regulations that may restrict your favorite activity.

For us, we didn't sign anything until our realtor got us the Covenants.

Lauren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 07:09 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,968,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by targetmom68 View Post
I'm interested in the Clayton area as well and saw a house for sale in Cobblestone. How is this neighborhood for kids?
Put it this way..on Halloween night, we had well over 200+ kids come to our door! It was GREAT! It reminded me of an old fashioned Halloween. Alot of the houses got decorated too (same with around Christmas time, I swear we were all competing! so it was alot of fun for the kids! My daughter is 9 years old and loves it. There are always kids outside playing although it seems lately to be mostly boys up by us. Its a very family oriented neighborhood and in the summer, some of us were talking about hosting a neighborhood picnic of some sort!

There is a pool in the community shared by both Anderson and KB Homes, you will see it on the left hand side when you first drive in. There is also a tennis court too! We like the open grassy section which is fun to go throw a ball around. They also have picnic tables too and I *think* a grill (I could be wrong).

Were you looking at Anderson or KB? We live in an Anderson home and LOVE IT! They were right, you do save alot of money especially on your electric bill. Its great!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 AM

169 posts, read 418,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Put it this way..on Halloween night, we had well over 200+ kids come to our door! It was GREAT! It reminded me of an old fashioned Halloween. Alot of the houses got decorated too (same with around Christmas time, I swear we were all competing! so it was alot of fun for the kids! My daughter is 9 years old and loves it. There are always kids outside playing although it seems lately to be mostly boys up by us. Its a very family oriented neighborhood and in the summer, some of us were talking about hosting a neighborhood picnic of some sort!

There is a pool in the community shared by both Anderson and KB Homes, you will see it on the left hand side when you first drive in. There is also a tennis court too! We like the open grassy section which is fun to go throw a ball around. They also have picnic tables too and I *think* a grill (I could be wrong).

Were you looking at Anderson or KB? We live in an Anderson home and LOVE IT! They were right, you do save alot of money especially on your electric bill. Its great!
I didn't want to say it in that "I hate Clayton thread" someone started, but I will say it here. The above posters talk about Halloween is just one of many reasons why I am happy to be living in Clayton. Clayton can be a bit more country for me than I would like at times, but it's all worth it for the attitude of people around here. I grew up trick or treating door to door, without my parents, there was no need. Where most of the rest of the US has long forgotten door to door trick or treating, rather going to malls and gatherings for the safety. We had tons of kids here in Clayton, in our subdivision. I watch the news for Raleigh/Durham and it is murder after murder, and wake county bussing this, wake county fighting it's residents for year round school, etc etc. I know the news is always worse, but it really makes me not want to live there. I'm sure this will offend someone, and I'm sorry, I'm sure it's not as bad as I see it.

I know this is somewhat off topic, but I am just trying to say that, I think most anywhere in Clayton is probably a good place for kids. Check out the neighborhoods when you come, look for the telltale signs, and finding kid friendly neighborhoods will be the least of your worries.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:47 AM

We were really surprised at the amount of kids we did get! When I lived in Raleigh, not ONE KID came to our door. We were eating candy for weeks! We did plan ahead just in case and bought a few bags of our favorite candy in case we had extras this past year, lol. We did not have one single piece left! Thats the Halloweens I remember too as a kid, seeing kids running around in costumes all over the sidewalks and passing a few on the way up to the door. It was great to kind of relive that experience here in Clayton and see kids now having that much fun as I did when I was younger.

Clayton is definately family oriented! I think downtown Clayton always has something going on during the summer. The beach is about an hour & a half away, Raleigh is a 20 minute drive in, we got the outlet center about 15 minutes away..its a great location.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 AM

36 posts, read 132,068 times
making the decision to head to Clayton is getting easier and easier

Old 01-22-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetmom68 View Post
making the decision to head to Clayton is getting easier and easier
Glad we can help! Seriously, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! (And this goes for anyone who read this, I know Clayton is a big search on here!)

Old 01-22-2008, 11:12 AM

439 posts, read 1,743,277 times
Okay, I'm drooling with anticipation here. This is the type of area that I want to live in. I'm really looking forward to checking out the area in a couple months.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post
Okay, I'm drooling with anticipation here. This is the type of area that I want to live in. I'm really looking forward to checking out the area in a couple months.
Its really nice! Make sure you take a list of places you want to check out. There are sooooo many different subdivisions in Clayton, each one has something different to offer. If you kind of give us a general idea of what you are looking for, we can steer you in the right direction or at least give you some suggestions on places to try!

Old 01-22-2008, 12:50 PM

439 posts, read 1,743,277 times
Default thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Its really nice! Make sure you take a list of places you want to check out. There are sooooo many different subdivisions in Clayton, each one has something different to offer. If you kind of give us a general idea of what you are looking for, we can steer you in the right direction or at least give you some suggestions on places to try!
Let's see here. Definitely family friendly (have a 7 year old daughter), pet friendly (we have 3 dogs), don't want to be on top of my neighbor property wise, decently close to a grocery store but don't have to be super close to everything else (the area we wanted to live in around here finally had some grocery stores coming up in the area, but it was a good 20 minutes, almost 30 to anything else--I'm ok with that) and maybe around the 150k-160k price range. Oh, and good schools too. Is it possible to do all this?

We're not quite sure where we'll end up working yet. My husband was originally going to start exploring some around the Wilson area. But now he's recently been told that he could find a good shop much closer to Clayton (he's a machinist). I'll probably end up in Raleigh since I don't see too many offices in the Clayton area--feel free to educate me otherwise.

Does that give you anything to work with?

Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post
Let's see here. Definitely family friendly (have a 7 year old daughter), pet friendly (we have 3 dogs), don't want to be on top of my neighbor property wise, decently close to a grocery store but don't have to be super close to everything else (the area we wanted to live in around here finally had some grocery stores coming up in the area, but it was a good 20 minutes, almost 30 to anything else--I'm ok with that) and maybe around the 150k-160k price range. Oh, and good schools too. Is it possible to do all this?

We're not quite sure where we'll end up working yet. My husband was originally going to start exploring some around the Wilson area. But now he's recently been told that he could find a good shop much closer to Clayton (he's a machinist). I'll probably end up in Raleigh since I don't see too many offices in the Clayton area--feel free to educate me otherwise.

Does that give you anything to work with?
That works!
Family friendly is pretty much any neighborhood in Clayton. Some HOA's have a limit on dogs, I would check into that first when looking around. If you want some "space" between houses, I dont recommend KB homes (which is within your price range). They are pretty closeknit with not alot of yard space (which works for people who dont want that). On hwy 70, there is a Lowe's Food and a Food Lion, both very close to residential neighborhoods. I believe there is also a Harris Teeter popping up too around the Flowers area (hopefully Lauren will chime in here soon with her two cents!) You really cant go wrong with any of the schools here, they are all EXCELLENT! I think with your price range, you might want to check out some of the realtor websites. I was looking for a friend of mine just the other day for an older home in that range and was surprised how many I found! She's really excited, she's moving here from Michigan. Grocery stores, Walmart, shopping, etc all will be within 3-15 minutes from anywhere you live in Clayton. They did a good job laying out stores close to neighborhoods!

Now, is your husband actually looking for a shop? They have some spaces available in downtown Clayton, he might want to look into that. Plenty of offices in Clayton, Raleigh and Smithfield, so you should have no problem finding a job!

Does that help? Feel free to ask more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary