Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 03:30 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,839 times

Advertisements

I just got a notice that I have until Monday at 5:00 to remove my child from our 1st choice magnet. After visiting Kingswood (which we got into) for the second time, (didn't love it the first time around) I'm less sure about my first choice, Combs, although I LOVED it when I was there. Since that time I'm feeling like Montessori might work better for my child because he does better when given choices about what to work on.

IIRC, Combs uses a student driven style of education where the students have the opportunity to give input into their lesson plans. I like the "choice within limits" style of Montessori, but I also realize that Kingswood is a newly minted Montessori school with the model only implemented this year in K-2 and moving into the 3-5 classrooms next year. I'm wondering if the Combs model will give me the same things I like about Montessori...a little bit of student freedom and input into their education.

I would love to hear any input about these two schools that will help me decide if we should drop off the list or not. The Principal at Combs said we have a pretty good chance of getting in based on our waitlist number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 10:38 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Kingswood is our base (we have a 1st grader) and we tried to get him into Combs as a kindergartner, but weren't selected. We were impressed with what we saw of Combs, but it's hard to say too much just based on a couple visits.

We've been thrilled with Kingswood...staff there is excellent, although there are some challenges to student performance including socioeconomics, the transient nature of the population (historically one-third of student body turns over every year, but with new Montessori magnet in the mix that should stabilize a bit), and plenty of ESL students.

The Montessori program seems to be working pretty well, although I'm not sure it's the best fit for our kid...he does better with structure, but he's learning and enjoying himself. At least early in the year, they were still easing into the Montessori aspects...feel like some of the parents who came over from Poe felt like it was Montessori enough. Not sure how they're feeling at this point in the year.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Kingswood is our base (we have a 1st grader) and we tried to get him into Combs as a kindergartner, but weren't selected. We were impressed with what we saw of Combs, but it's hard to say too much just based on a couple visits.

We've been thrilled with Kingswood...staff there is excellent, although there are some challenges to student performance including socioeconomics, the transient nature of the population (historically one-third of student body turns over every year, but with new Montessori magnet in the mix that should stabilize a bit), and plenty of ESL students.

The Montessori program seems to be working pretty well, although I'm not sure it's the best fit for our kid...he does better with structure, but he's learning and enjoying himself. At least early in the year, they were still easing into the Montessori aspects...feel like some of the parents who came over from Poe felt like it was Montessori enough. Not sure how they're feeling at this point in the year.
Thanks for the feedback. That's very helpful. Man I wish I didn't have to make a decision on this one. Want to keep my options open!

Would to hear feedback about Combs.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:00 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Gah...I need to amend the last part of my post for a typo.

Quote:
...feel like some of the parents who came over from Poe felt like it wasn't Montessori enough.
Big difference in meaning!

Old 03-20-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Gah...I need to amend the last part of my post for a typo.

Big difference in meaning!

Old 03-21-2015, 05:30 PM

28 posts, read 44,642 times
I know several Combs parents. They are all very happy with the school. The principal and the teachers are excellent. Lots of electives. Combs is also supposed to be the best magnet school in US. I also have a friend whose kid was in Kingswood. She said many of the electives were not available due to lack of interests. Given the choice, I'd choose Combs over Kingswood. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:49 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,563 times
I don't personally know much, but I can tell you that the year I taught in Wake they were going to follow the Combs model because it was such a great school. I know the school is mentioned in a book we had to read about the 7 habits of highly effective learners.
As a former educator who never taught in a Montessori school, I can say that from MY experience, more transient populations seem to do better with more structure, which Montessori is not. If a majority of the students are there from before it was Montessori, I would personally be concerned given the student body. I taught all of my years in low socioeconomic schools and have found time and again that these kids are often lacking structure at home and need it at school. So, if their parents didnt place them there for a montessori program, I'd be concerned how they were doing with the learning environment.
From what I heard over and over about Combs, I'd chose that school in a minute. The 7 habits approach to learning is a very positive, student-centered philosophy that appears to bring results, partially due to student ownership of their education and choices. .

Old 03-21-2015, 06:39 PM

273 posts, read 562,545 times
We toured Kingswood last year and ended up choosing Combs. Combs has a great reputation and is a solid school. They just won Best Magnet in the country. Only school to do it twice, if i recall. Some great electives and a education for our daughter so far.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I don't personally know much, but I can tell you that the year I taught in Wake they were going to follow the Combs model because it was such a great school. I know the school is mentioned in a book we had to read about the 7 habits of highly effective learners.
As a former educator who never taught in a Montessori school, I can say that from MY experience, more transient populations seem to do better with more structure, which Montessori is not. If a majority of the students are there from before it was Montessori, I would personally be concerned given the student body. I taught all of my years in low socioeconomic schools and have found time and again that these kids are often lacking structure at home and need it at school. So, if their parents didnt place them there for a montessori program, I'd be concerned how they were doing with the learning environment.
From what I heard over and over about Combs, I'd chose that school in a minute. The 7 habits approach to learning is a very positive, student-centered philosophy that appears to bring results, partially due to student ownership of their education and choices. .
This is really the most important aspect of the education for me. I have always found that kids learn better and are more engaged when they are making choices about there education.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm leaving him on the waiting list at Combs. :-)

Old 03-22-2015, 02:00 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,563 times
Fingers crossed for you (and him)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary