Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:49 AM

28 posts, read 56,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
The new adapters have to be activated within 21 days of receipt. Mine was a simple automated call...

On plain cable connected to TV, never got CH 44 for Impractical Jokers, etc.
Now with the DTA, I now get it!...
I had similar but different results. How is that for a contradictory answer?

Installed the adapter, called the number and 1 hour later still only had a message on my screen that I needed to call and activate. Called the number again and was told adapter was activated if not working ask for a representative. I did so and was immediately connected to nothing. Called back and finally got to a rep who was able to activate the adapter. Looked good. Well, not quite...

Like the poster quoted above, I never was able to watch channel 66 before the adpater (VH-1 Classic, if I remember correctly), now that channel comes in. However, during the transition to DTA, I have now lost channels 53 and 60. No MTV and no Food Network. Both channels display a message that my service has been interrupted. I really do not relish another long tech call where all they basically do is have me reboot the stupid adapter over and over again. Obviously I have service and a strong enough signal for every other channel to work.

Also, the adapter is hooked up to an old CRT TV... not a new flat panel LCD. Every channel now is forced to letterbox on my 4:3 screen. The menu has the option to change the picture to "stretch" or "zoom", but choosing either option does nothing! I have also noticed the picture is discernibly lower in quality. All in all, a big "lose" for me on the transition. Now I need to consider adding a digital box to the additional TV (more money per month for TWC), or come up with some other solution. Thanks to the TWC app being available on Roku, I may just buy a Roku and use the app to create a "pseudo" cable box for the TV and ditch both the DTA and avoid renting yet another full sized digital box. None of the above are ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 12:12 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I'm thinking of going the route of a Mohu Leaf + Mohu Channels + Sling TV and dumping TWC TV.
Sling is a bit glitchy for me so far, but they just added some more channels so can't complain too much. I'm sure they'll get it straightened out.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:42 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of going the route of a Mohu Leaf + Mohu Channels + Sling TV and dumping TWC TV.
Me too as I just googled and found out Sling includes AMC (I am not waiting for my Walking Dead episodes). The only reason I haven't cut the cord is because I don't want to have to wait a year to watch things and have to avoid spoilers, but I see that thinking is pretty outdated

Old 03-27-2015, 12:53 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
To save space & $, I suspect many will return their cable box and get one of these if they don't buy any premium channels.
Hmmm......that's a good idea. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2015, 02:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
To save space & $, I suspect many will return their cable box and get one of these if they don't buy any premium channels.
As long as you don't mind losing features such as Guide, On Demand, Look Back, DVR, etc.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:18 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Sling is a bit glitchy for me so far, but they just added some more channels so can't complain too much. I'm sure they'll get it straightened out.
Interesting. My Sling has been rock solid on my Roku 3... a bit buggier on my (slower) Roku 2 and Roku stick. But: still glad I switched, and I have legitimately not missed TWC television at all since making the change.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
As long as you don't mind losing features such as Guide, On Demand, Look Back, DVR, etc.

Nope. Not a care in the world for me. In fact I am even more excited to know even more money will come off the bill since I will also stopped being charged for the guide.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:37 AM

448 posts, read 851,787 times
We currently have Dish but they have raised their prices so I have been debating about what we will be going to next. Two hold ups for me are the fact that we only have on HD-TV the others are the old big CRTVS and we use DVR ALL the time. Cannot decide what I want to do. Considered Time Warner but after reading this, it would add the price difference to DISH even more.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:04 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,808 times
I have digital cable with one set top box and internet from TWC. Have a second old LCD TV connected directly to the wall.

When I read the letter from TWC, it says "Adapters are free of charge to customers through Jun 30 2016. Beginning July 1 2016 adapter will be billed at 2.75 per month)".

Old 04-10-2015, 01:19 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
Instead or a DTA, this works and costs about $40 to buy:

Using my Roku 3500 wifi streaming stick right now, using TWC app to watch FS1 just after using On Demand to watch a past show on NBC. Glitch-free. My TWC Internet is their lowest-priced option. Using 5Ghz wifi.

Includes the usual Guide just like the TWC smartphone app.

The above puts TWC on any TV in the house, not near a cable jack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary