Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 02:19 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times

Advertisements

May 5, 2015 they are going all-digital, so now I have to weigh price difference between their $2.75 a month adapter and a cable box.

Or, maybe buy a great little amplified antenna and receive higher quality over-the-air signals?
(Locally, Ollie's has some great antenna deals)

Gotta go read twc.com/digitaladapter

Medicaid people get a better deal for 5 years.

My letter received in the mail was very similar to this one:
http://www.ci.el-monte.ca.us/LinkCli...TE%3D&tabid=40

related:
TWC readies to encrypt cable TV data - The Killeen Daily Herald: Business

Last edited by K4GPB; 03-20-2015 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 02:25 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
... maybe buy a great little amplified antenna and receiver higher quality over the air signals?
Depends on what you watch.

I watch very little TV, and over-the-air channels suit my needs. I have a digital antenna inside the roof. {No climbing ladders for me!} It gives a fine picture.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:50 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
May 5, 2015 they are going all-digital, so now I have to weigh price difference between their $2.75 a month adapter and a cable box.
Thanks for posting. I won't get a letter because I'm not a cable subscriber, but I've still been able to get basic channels by connecting directly to the wall. Time to invest in a good antenna.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 10,189 times
I am TWC subscriber and have small TV's in four rooms. Requiring a digital adapter at $2.75 for each set represents a pretty stiff increase in monthly fees. Further, it appears that each digital adapter requires its own electrical outlet - in addition to the outlet needed to run the tv! Seems like a lot of wires and clutter.

Is this move to mandatory digital adapters covered by any regulatory oversight? Who would I contact to lodge a protest? (I've already complained to TWC).

Old 03-20-2015, 03:53 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Thanks for posting. I won't get a letter because I'm not a cable subscriber, but I've still been able to get basic channels by connecting directly to the wall. Time to invest in a good antenna.
  • Don't be swayed by higher price = means better antenna.
  • Check reviews of same on Amazon.
  • Like HDMI cables, they are often marked way up and sold where TVs are sold as a high-profit add-on.
  • Don't be swayed by "digital" antenna; they receive all types of signals and modulations.

Helpful: best hdtv antennas ? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Old 03-21-2015, 08:11 AM

650 posts, read 929,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2006 View Post
I am TWC subscriber and have small TV's in four rooms. Requiring a digital adapter at $2.75 for each set represents a pretty stiff increase in monthly fees. Further, it appears that each digital adapter requires its own electrical outlet - in addition to the outlet needed to run the tv! Seems like a lot of wires and clutter.

Is this move to mandatory digital adapters covered by any regulatory oversight? Who would I contact to lodge a protest? (I've already complained to TWC).
I have always rented my modem but this may be a changing point. In the past any problem and blame it on them.

Cost for rent vs. purchase: http://wallethub.com/internet-modem-calculator/

Old 03-21-2015, 09:35 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
so now I have to weigh price difference between their $2.75 a month adapter and a cable box.
I posted this earlier, but for some reason it did not show up.

You can buy Cisco 170HD DTAs on eBay. I had one of mine die and TWC replaced it with a 270. I'm not sure what the difference is. They look the same.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:26 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernc42 View Post
I have always rented my modem but this may be a changing point. In the past any problem and blame it on them.

Cost for rent vs. purchase: Internet Modem Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I posted this earlier, but for some reason it did not show up.

You can buy Cisco 170HD DTAs on eBay. I had one of mine die and TWC replaced it with a 270. I'm not sure what the difference is. They look the same.
I bought my own modem so avoid the rental fee. The modem paid for itself in 8 months.

When I received the robocall last week regarding the digital converters the person I spoke to at TWC advised the only adapters that TWC will allow are the ones rented from TWC and no user owned adapters will be activated. I am hoping this is not true but it is what I was told.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:49 PM

166 posts, read 419,068 times
I went through this with Comcast about 5 years ago in NJ. Once they go full digital and encrypt the signal, you have to get the DTA adapters from your cable provider (one per TV) and they have to be activated to work with your account. You can't buy them yourself off of Ebay or anywhere else so there's no avoiding the rental fees like with the cable modem.

Currently I have "starter TV" (used to be called "broadcast TV"), for which they're charging me $18.99 per month plus a $2.75 "Broadcast TV Surcharge". I'm just looking for an excuse to dump it and go to over-the-air TV with an antenna and when they go full-digital and force us to rent DTAs, I'm going cut the cord. I'll get one of those attic-mount HD antennas and connect it into my whole-house cable wiring.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:25 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
The OP is talking about digital TV adapters, not modems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary