Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Steady employment: work slowdown, right to work states, protection laws, minorities, neglect

Old 01-14-2008, 12:54 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,679 times

Advertisements

I certainly hope that we're not moving from one disaster into another.

How steady is employment in the area? Is NC as bad as FL when it comes to being a Right to Fire (oops...Right to Work) state? As of right now, my husband has had SIX jobs in the 18 months he's been in Florida. Prior to that, he had TWO jobs in 10 years in Virginia.

Down here, he's been laid off repeatedly because the shops hire what they think they need for a job, lose a contract or have some sort of work slowdown and then they lay off a bunch of people. Because he's low man on the totem pole, he's usually one of the first to go. One company went so far as to try to blame him for messing up some parts that he had nothing to do with. When he called them on their lie, they finally admitted they hired someone for $4.00/hour less than what my husband was making. So they were canning my other half in favor of cheaper employment. His current job is now messing with his shift. He was hired to work 3rd. He stated on his app that he could not work 2nd. Where did they stick him 4 weeks ago? You go it...2nd shift. Same stuff, different day...lather, rinse, repeat.

Please tell me that we're not going to have the same issues in NC. It's kind of hard to make plans for anything when you have to wonder if you'll be employed the following week (or even day sometimes!). BTW, he's a machinist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 12:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,176 times
Yes, NC is a right to work (or should I say get fired!) state. You'll have to head farther North for something other. Sorry!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:24 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post

How steady is employment in the area? Is NC as bad as FL when it comes to being a Right to Fire (oops...Right to Work) state? As of right now, my husband has had SIX jobs in the 18 months he's been in Florida. Prior to that, he had TWO jobs in 10 years in Virginia.

Down here, he's been laid off repeatedly because the shops hire what they think they need for a job, lose a contract or have some sort of work slowdown and then they lay off a bunch of people. Because he's low man on the totem pole, he's usually one of the first to go. One company went so far as to try to blame him for messing up some parts that he had nothing to do with. When he called them on their lie, they finally admitted they hired someone for $4.00/hour less than what my husband was making. So they were canning my other half in favor of cheaper employment. His current job is now messing with his shift. He was hired to work 3rd. He stated on his app that he could not work 2nd. Where did they stick him 4 weeks ago? You go it...2nd shift. Same stuff, different day...lather, rinse, repeat.

Please tell me that we're not going to have the same issues in NC. It's kind of hard to make plans for anything when you have to wonder if you'll be employed the following week (or even day sometimes!). BTW, he's a machinist.
Sounds to me the issues are with the employers not the state being that Virginia is a right to work state as well. Depending on what your hubbie does and where he does it can make it a high turnover job. Here is a list of right to work states.

* Alabama
* Arizona
* Arkansas
* Florida
* Georgia
* Idaho
* Iowa
* Kansas
* Louisiana
* Mississippi
* Nebraska
* Nevada
* North Carolina
* North Dakota
* Oklahoma
* South Carolina
* South Dakota
* Tennessee
* Texas
* Utah
* Virginia
* Wyoming

Keep in mind that right to work and at will are two separate things:

A "Right to Work" state does not ensure employment (as the name implies) nor does it allow people to be terminated for any reason (as a lot of people I know seem to think it does). It simply means that you do not have to be a member of a union in order to work for a particular employer or in a particular industry.

Employment at Will" doctrines, on the other hand, state that anyone can leave or be fired for any reason that does not run contrary to a specific laws or regulations such as whistleblower protection laws or laws protecting the rights of minorities and women. In other words, you can be fired without "just cause," though generally speaking unless they can demonstrate just cause you are due unemployment if you qualify. If they can demonstrate that you were unquestionably neglect in your duties, then they don't have to pay you unemployment (note that this varies from state to state, though Texas and most states make a distinction of being fired with or without just cause).

Last edited by tluv00; 01-14-2008 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: More information.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 15,461 times
This is a quote from NRTW webiste.

"A Right to Work law secures the right of employees to decide for themselves whether or not to join or financially support a union. However, employees who work in the railway or airline industries are not protected by a Right to Work law, and employees who work on a federal enclave may not be."

Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post

Where are you in Boca? I live here also and am self employed. Looking at Cary but we would rent out current home to see if we liked it for a while.
I'm sorry you've had such a hard time with the job thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary