Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Helzberg Diamonds has been struggling for years. So don't think too much about that one.
LMAO not surprised by that, that Diamond store is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 07:48 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokijoo View Post
Because societal changes like this interest me, I just spent about half an hour reading various articles, blogs, etc. on the subject of why malls are suffering. Because on-line shopping options have been around for quite some time now, I figured it couldn't be the only factor (particularly since retail in revitalized urban areas is doing fine). Besides, malls have a high percentage of apparel stores -- something that does not lend itself well to on-line purchases because people need to try clothes on. I wondered what industry "experts" felt was contributing the most to the decline of malls.

The recurring theme was that retail must offer an "experience" that is more than just a sales transaction, because the transaction is always easier/more efficient on-line. Fair enough, but the only time I ever go near a mall is when I need something that's difficult to get any other way, and I try to minimize the "experience" as much as possible, get what I need and get out.

What was truly enlightening about my surfing session was that in the comments of many of these articles, I kept noticing a another recurring theme. Not by the experts, but subjective comments by shoppers. They mentioned how they got uncomfortable going to the local mall due to loitering teens, news reports of shootings or gang violence, etc. and that has caused them to avoid it. The comments I saw were from people all over the US.

So, I think the retail experts are probably right -- the "experience" has been diminishing over the years. When people feel bothered enough by a place that they go out of their way to avoid it, it can be hard to make a sale. When I was younger, we hung out at the mall, you could even say loitered. But back then, drugs and automatic weapon ownership among teens was nothing like what it is today. It seems to me that a number of changes, like the removal of corporal punishment in schools, laws that seem to almost encourage divorce and the breakdown of the family unit have led us down a dank and scary road.

Often, when I hear Durham discussed, things get qualified with "but the Southpoint area is nice". If Southpoint ends up following the trend of malls as it's occurring across America, that could be a big blow to the city of Durham.

There's also a term I've heard called "showcasing" where people try on the clothes and then order online for cheaper. Apparently I was unaware that young women frequently second hand clothes on Ebay or Etsy. I guess there's no sense in paying a bundle for some bridesmaids dress you'll only wear once in a color you don't like! Definitely holds true at Best Buy as well.

Last December I was back and I happened by the Cary Towne Center. That place seemed deserted considering it was the holidays and Sears looked like it was closing its doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary