Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:28 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times

Advertisements

Lowe's foods have those impressive thick cut ribeyes behind the counter an good sales often. Valentine's was $9.99lb . Better customer service. It's cute that they never hand your food over the counter,they walk it out to you. Kroger steaks are good but I'm usually a red sticker queen and their discounts aren't on par with markdowns at HT or Lowe's. Hate Wal-Mart's, very bland,no age,so bright that it looks fake,IDK....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 05:45 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
I don't buy a lot of meat at Food Lion -- do they even still cut it? HT is fine and I have had some very nice cuts from Whole Foods, but was not impressed with the grass fed beef.
I think it depends on which Food Lion you go to (one thing in general is they vary widely by store, not just the meat either). The one I go to in Cary has great meat, and the butchers are always happy to cut whatever I want if I go during normal hours. (Not at 10PM or 7AM, etc.)

I'm not paid by Food Lion (LOL), just think that a lot of people overlook them due to reputation.

@Sant: I'm not limited to Ribeye, but it is probably my favorite (along with the aforementioned Chuck Eye). I like top sirloins as well, flat-irons are great. Skirt is awesome, but somehow it got trendy and is now waaaaaay over priced. There are many, many good cuts. I'm not a fan of Tenderloins. Too mushy, and not enough fat to marble in flavor. Only exception is that I've done whole tenders when catering parties. Cooked to mid-rare and let to sit for 10+ minutes before slicing thick, that was pretty yummy. Also, the bottom cuts have a gamier taste. I don't keep Kosher, but I will say, the Rabbi's know the best part of a cow.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:18 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
I might have to retract my last post. I just bought a couple rib eyes at HT and they look very well marbled. I'm not sure I've seen steaks that look this good at Lowe's. I'll post after I grill them as to how they taste.

As far as steak goes rib eye is my favorite hands down. They are fattier than other cuts, but that is where they get their flavor. I agree with Myghost about the chuck eye, they're a good inexpensive alternative to rib eyes. I'm also not crazy about tenderloin. It's not bad, but just doesn't have the flavor of some other cuts.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:25 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
I still remember the scandal at Food Lion where the old meat was bleached to clean it up and sold. My daughter worked at the store and there was pressure on the meat managers to not mark down meat close to its expiration. Then, the meat was cleaned up when it started showing its age.

Perhaps FL is better under its new ownership, but I'd never buy their meat.

In fact, my daughter bought meat recently there and complained to their HQ that the meat had turned brownish. FL's answer was to say this was normal and meat would return to its normal color again (LOL).

Old 03-25-2015, 05:47 AM

When buying meat for the grill:

1. Buy it the day you will use it (especially beef)
2. Don't buy brown meat

If you follow these two simple rules, you will never (EVER) have to complain to anyone about brown meat.

I remember the bleach scandal (it was for chicken). I think they are actually much better as a result. I go in and regularly see perfectly fine meat marked down. I think they are still realing from the scandal, and as a customer I am the beneficiary.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:53 AM

43,286 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Folks, let go of the meat scandal....

Primetime Live controversy[edit]

In the 1990s, Food Lion gained a degree of notoriety when it was the subject of an ABC News investigation. ABC had received a tip about unsanitary practices at Food Lion. Two ABC reporters had posed as Food Lion employees, and witnessed the unsanitary practices at Food Lion. Much of what they had seen was videotaped with cameras hidden in wigs that they were wearing. The footage was then featured in a segment on the news magazine Primetime Live, in which Food Lion employees described unsanitary practices, which included bleaching discolored, expired pork with Clorox and repackaging expired meats with new expiration dates, and the use of nail polish remover to remove the expiration dates from dairy item packages.
The company responded by suing ABC for fraud, claiming that the ABC employees misrepresented themselves; for trespassing, because the ABC employees came on to Food Lion property without permission; and for breach of loyalty, the ABC employees videotaped non-public areas of the store and revealed internal company information. During the court battles between Food Lion and ABC, over 40 hours of unused footage were released that helped Food Lion's case. In the unused footage, two undercover producers are seen trying to encourage violations of company policy; however, employees resisted and correctly followed sanitary practices.[25]
Food Lion was awarded US$5.5 million by a jury in 1997. The award was later reduced by a judge to $316,000. The verdict was then overturned by the U.S. Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit in Richmond, Virginia. According to the court, even though ABC was wrong to do what they had done, Food Lion was not suing for defamation, but rather for tort, as a way to get around the strict First Amendment standards for defamation. Food Lion did this, because at the time of the lawsuit they were unable to prove that ABC acted with malice, which would be required to prove defamation.[26]
An indirect result was that Food Lion ended up exiting the Houston, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex markets, which it had recently entered. The Dallas/Fort Worth market is highly competitive, and the stores were already being criticized for being too small and lacking the amenities desired by the local shoppers—for example, Food Lion did not include pharmacies in its stores.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Folks, let go of the meat scandal....

Primetime Live controversy[edit]

In the 1990s, Food Lion gained a degree of notoriety when it was the subject of an ABC News investigation. ABC had received a tip about unsanitary practices at Food Lion. Two ABC reporters had posed as Food Lion employees, and witnessed the unsanitary practices at Food Lion. Much of what they had seen was videotaped with cameras hidden in wigs that they were wearing. The footage was then featured in a segment on the news magazine Primetime Live, in which Food Lion employees described unsanitary practices, which included bleaching discolored, expired pork with Clorox and repackaging expired meats with new expiration dates, and the use of nail polish remover to remove the expiration dates from dairy item packages.
The company responded by suing ABC for fraud, claiming that the ABC employees misrepresented themselves; for trespassing, because the ABC employees came on to Food Lion property without permission; and for breach of loyalty, the ABC employees videotaped non-public areas of the store and revealed internal company information. During the court battles between Food Lion and ABC, over 40 hours of unused footage were released that helped Food Lion's case. In the unused footage, two undercover producers are seen trying to encourage violations of company policy; however, employees resisted and correctly followed sanitary practices.[25]
Food Lion was awarded US$5.5 million by a jury in 1997. The award was later reduced by a judge to $316,000. The verdict was then overturned by the U.S. Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit in Richmond, Virginia. According to the court, even though ABC was wrong to do what they had done, Food Lion was not suing for defamation, but rather for tort, as a way to get around the strict First Amendment standards for defamation. Food Lion did this, because at the time of the lawsuit they were unable to prove that ABC acted with malice, which would be required to prove defamation.[26]
An indirect result was that Food Lion ended up exiting the Houston, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex markets, which it had recently entered. The Dallas/Fort Worth market is highly competitive, and the stores were already being criticized for being too small and lacking the amenities desired by the local shoppers—for example, Food Lion did not include pharmacies in its stores.
Also, their ads disappeared for months while Food lion apparently wanted to keep a low profile. Don't recall seeing the CEO Tom Smith on TV again.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
When buying meat for the grill:

1. Buy it the day you will use it (especially beef)
2. Don't buy brown meat

If you follow these two simple rules, you will never (EVER) have to complain to anyone about brown meat.

I remember the bleach scandal (it was for chicken). I think they are actually much better as a result. I go in and regularly see perfectly fine meat marked down. I think they are still realing from the scandal, and as a customer I am the beneficiary.
I recall the issue involving some hams. Same procedure. Cut off the worst and bleach the discolored portion of the remainder before repackaging. My daughter was a supervisor and an associate asked her about a bleach smell in the store. Daughter told her it was probably from the meat department (ROTFLMAO).

A really ugly mess.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I recall the issue involving some hams. Same procedure. Cut off the worst and bleach the discolored portion of the remainder before repackaging.

A really ugly mess.
a quarter of a century ago....

Old 03-25-2015, 06:28 AM

43,286 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
a quarter of a century ago....
Right.
The 1992 bleached brown meat has not been reincarnated....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary