Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,609 times

Advertisements

My son is accepted into TMSA located in Cary for the 2015-2016 school year. The school's website describes exactly what I am looking for in a school - if that is an accurate representation. I say that because after doing some research there is speculation that TMSA is somehow affiliated with Fethullah Gülen. There are articles about this (from a few years ago). Does anyone have any take on what this means? The contact person for TMSA (listed on the NC Charter School website) used to be the principal for another charter school that confirms they are a Gulen school. I plan to do more research about what this affiliation means, so thought I'd ask if anyone else knows? Or, if you have children that attend this school or used to attend this school, please let me know your review.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 11:41 AM

826 posts, read 1,932,609 times
Do a search on this forum for TMSA (you can start by looking at the bottom of this page under related posts). There is mixed information out there about TMSA over the past couple years. Some posters have been very happy with it though. Hopefully you'll get some updated information/opinions about the school and its philosophy but until then, there are some posts to read through.

This is the link to at least one "Similar Threads" on TMSA: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...er-school.html

Old 03-24-2015, 09:06 PM

28 posts, read 44,642 times
I am interested to know, too. Gulen's teaching is considered moderate, right? I wouldn't worry about it, it's not like they are teaching religion at school. I'd only like to know other opinions on the quality of education there. Which grade is your son in?

Old 06-01-2017, 06:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,942 times
I am posting this because I am pulling out my kid from TMSA next year. I have a few reasons other than bus commute:-
Out of four years of schooling there, I had a couple where I was kind of happy. My kid is a pretty good student. But I know how well he/she can perform. In TMSA my kids has never received any grade under 95/96 in any of the subjects. Straight A student--a principal honour roll student. BUT when EOG results come out, I see only 80 percentile marks in Math or English.
At first I felt the bubbling practice might be confusing, but since I have another kid who is now in high school and went to public school performed extremely well in these standardised tests, this concern is pretty bothering me. I feel some basic foundation skills are underestimated and there is a rush to accerlerate the process. Its not good for any student at all. The learning process is not great, there seems to a skip and run step somewhere in between.

Long story short----I will not fall for the census they show about this school in great schools.com . It might be working well for exceptionally genius kids, but remember a genius kid or extremely smart kid doesn't need a TMSA to polish his/her skills.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,605 times
Hi all
How much chances of getting in Tmsa on waiting list #51
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary