Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 07:28 AM

72 posts, read 115,960 times

Advertisements

Hello! Please tell me your thoughts of living in Raleigh-Durham/Cary area vs. Huntersville (north) area of Charlotte. Please note that I lived in south Charlotte for ~10 years;we then had to move north for jobs. I know the south CLT area very well. We are returning to NC. However, the situation dictates that we choose between these 2 geographies----> Huntersville (north Charlotte) vs. Raleigh/Durham/Cary area. 'Some priorities---> ease-of-shopping (variety), workout places, dining/not chains options. Please help....I look forward to your input!! P.S. I do NOT know Huntersville nor Raleigh areas, re nuances of living in each of these places.
Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by Polishgirl; 03-26-2015 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:26 AM

273 posts, read 911,869 times
Hi Polishgirl

I missed this yesterday. I can help as I have experience monthly in both places: live in Cary (and formerly Chapel Hill and Durham) area and immediate family lives in Huntersville (which takes me to Huntersville 2x month for more than 10 years).

IMO, for your comparison items there is little to difference. Huntersville and Cary are very nearly identical. Old parts are similar. New parts are identical. In general parts of Cary and parts of Huntersville are identical (less so for Durham and Raleigh). One difference is more non chain restaurants in Cary that are of a higher quality than the non chain restaurants in Huntersville. Traffic is better managed in the Triangle (even tho' everyone here hates it).

Other differentiation will have to help you decide. Such as need for choice of churches (choose Triangle), hate to drive on interstates (choose Triangle, Huntersville has only 77 and no loop roads), don't like a global variety in my neighborhood (choose Huntersville), family in one area or another (choose that one), more school choices (choose Triangle), don't like to go to Davidson, Mooresville, North Charlotte to get specialty items, more hospitals in Triangle, use the airport constantly (choose Triangle)....

Key difference= LAKE NORMAN. Lake living is not possible in any of the Triangle. You can not see lakes or live on lakes here due to regulations. The LAKE IS GREAT. BUT, in the Triangle all the new subdivisions have pools, swim teams, water slides, hot tubs, splash zones, etc. It's like living in Disneyland. If you want a boat go to Huntersville, if you have small kids and want a life guard, move to a new subdivision in the Triangle.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 AM

563 posts, read 955,906 times
I have lived in North Charlotte (University area) and have lived in the Triangle 14 years now. Do you have other factors to take into consideration such schools or your job location? I would suggest you revisit these as areas as the landscape and density has changed likely since you were last in Charlotte and the Raleigh/Durham/Cary area. Just to clarify - just like Huntersville is one town in the Charlotte metro - Raleigh and Durham and Cary (along with a number of unnamed others) are towns in the Raleigh/Durham metro area.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:09 AM

Thank you both, for responding to initial inquiry!!

More of my "factors"/considerations re Huntersville vs. Triangle area:

for eg., where I live currently, there is an outdoor mall which has Whole Foods, DSW shoes, Sur la Table, Starbucks, workout place (which I would use), etc. Even though I am not a big shopper, I like the ability to go to an area like this if need be.

Traffic: I can deal with.
Schools: not a factor
Healthcare: want the care including hospitals. I know of the system in place in Charlotte re hospitals. (Presbyterian and Carolinas Med. Center, respectively.)
Church: Yes, a factor; but am sure we can find one accordingly, in either area. ('Attended a great church near S. Park Mall in CLT. 'Could possibly drop down if living in Huntersville.)
Places to walk: I am a walker. I also workout.
Cycling community: my husband is a bicyclist (skinny tires) who cycles w/ groups (pelotons) whenever he can!!
Lake Norman: pretty to see when driving past, but that is the extent.
Family: have a niece w/ family living in south CLT. Have a 2nd cousin w/ young family residing in Huntersville. BIGGEST thing:
'have a dear dear friend w/ family who lives near Matthews. This even trumps the "family" I just mentioned.
Knowledge of areas: know Charlotte and south CLT pretty well. Again, do NOT know Huntersville nor Triangle area.
The Arts: 'love music (classical/symphony, jazz), museums, plays, etc.
Access to the mountains: 'love going to Blowing Rock/Boone areas. Also, love going further to Smokies in western NC. Obviously, Huntersville provides closer access.

So, if you have any FURTHER advice-offerings, please do respond. ("4alark", you were especially detailed!)

Last edited by Polishgirl; 03-31-2015 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 05:16 PM

563 posts, read 955,906 times
It sounds like your biggest draw is actually in Huntersville - family with young children and a friend in Matthews (easily accessible as you know via the beltline). Why not be close by when there since it sounds like you truly want to be.

Healthcare here is excellent. We have stores that you mentioned including workout facilities. We have an excellent bike trail system in the cities of Raleigh and Cary. Walkways are available here as well as churches. Huntersville definitely provides closer access to the areas to visit that you mentioned. You can may your needs either place but it sounds like you have several ties you wish to keep in the Charlotte metro.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
It sounds like your biggest draw is actually in Huntersville - either place but it sounds like you have several ties you wish to keep in the Charlotte metro.
Thank you for responding...'pondering all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary