Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I started changing my own oil again. I use synthetic so my oil changes were always $100-$125, but when I do them myself the cost is $30-$35. I can do it in 40 minutes, which includes jacking the car up by hand. My next house will have a 3 car garage and a lift
Don't forget very high ceilings! You'll need that for clearance!

OP- I would generally avoid Jiffy Lube type establishments. Their work in my experience has been pretty shoddy. Sometimes they even try to get away without changing the oil filter. Over torqued drain plugs, reusing one time use crush washers so it leaks, stripped bolts... the list goes on. I even saw them gouging a woman for 60$ for an air filter. I wouldn't put it past these establishments to sabotage your car to ensure you need more repairs.

I change my own oil and it also allows me time to get close to the bottom end of the engine and see what else is going on down there. My car has several O-rings associated with the filter that should be changed with every oil change that I know they would never do anyway..

You might want to resort to Yelp to find a mechanic people really like that has a lot of reviews. Good luck, mechanics are like attorneys - they are a hard bunch to like..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 07:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Is there a non-synthetic 0W-20?
No, the 0W-20 viscosity contains synthetic properties. Valvoline does offer 0W-20 as a synthetic blend with its MaxLife oil.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:24 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,496,311 times
I went through the SAME THING at the Jiffy Lube in Durham on Hwy 55. Put synthetic oil in it and said 79.99 or something ridiculous. She pointed on her computer to a random bottle of oil and I didn't look at the details. She didn't tell me it was synthetic. So I was pissed afterwards, and I agree, will never be back to another Jiffy Lube ever. That's absurd! Not only that, they checked all kinds of little boxes that said "fluids topped off, windshield cleaned, carpets vacuumed, lights working" etc. ALL of that was false. Even the lights. I only had 1 working high beam and no low beams at the time. What a joke.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:49 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I went through the SAME THING at the Jiffy Lube in Durham on Hwy 55. Put synthetic oil in it and said 79.99 or something ridiculous. She pointed on her computer to a random bottle of oil and I didn't look at the details. She didn't tell me it was synthetic. So I was pissed afterwards, and I agree, will never be back to another Jiffy Lube ever. That's absurd! Not only that, they checked all kinds of little boxes that said "fluids topped off, windshield cleaned, carpets vacuumed, lights working" etc. ALL of that was false. Even the lights. I only had 1 working high beam and no low beams at the time. What a joke.
That's more than Leith Toyota and they really do check your car,

Old 03-29-2015, 07:15 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
It seems to be inviting being ripped off - or at least the perception of being ripped off - if you don't undertand something as basic as what type of oil your car requires.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:20 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
I wouldn't bring my wheelbarrow to Jiffy Lube or similar.

Leith even gives you tread remaining and brake pad remaining tests free as well as a battery check.

You give up a lot for no appointment convenience.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:49 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I wouldn't bring my wheelbarrow to Jiffy Lube or similar.

Leith even gives you tread remaining and brake pad remaining tests free as well as a battery check.

You give up a lot for no appointment convenience.
It boils down to getting what you paid for (sometimes), and also commodity pricing. No offense to Jiffy Lube peeps, but if they were competent mechanics, they likely would not be working there. Better mechanics at the full service tires shops, even better at the dealerships (although I think they are even more of a rip-off at times)*, and probably the best at a vetted, family owned business who's income depends on return customers and good reputation.

* The problem with dealerships is that their service advisors are commissioned positions. It means they are incented to sell you stuff. The more service they sell, the more they get paid. And since they don't own the business, or have no real vested interest in it, they can afford to sell you stuff you don't need.

IMO, the best is to find a trusted mechanic. In practice, I do use tire stores and dealerships when they fit my needs.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:52 PM

353 posts, read 458,293 times
Franz on Chatham St does good work. I never took my car there specifically for oil changes but the work I had done there I was satisfied with both in terms of price and quality of work. The only downside is they require an appointment and you had better schedule one well in advance.

I did take my car once to the Precision Tune on Tryon Rd near the Wal Mart and decided I would never go back there again. They tried to pressure me into getting a bunch of unnecessary work done to my car. I also find that they tend to make everything way too tight (oil filter, oil plug etc) which can definitely cause issues. It's too bad because the one I used to go to when I lived in MD was always honest with me. I do my oil changes myself exclusively these days but I would sooner go to the dealer and pay a little more than go to a chain.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:34 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,386 times
People have an irrational fear of dealership service departments. They go out of their way to avoid them and end up at places that employ "technicians" who were flipping burgers in their last job.
The possibilities for little mistakes that can really mess up your car while changing the oil are many.
Wrong Oil
Wrong Filter
Not refilling with oil at all
Overfilling with oil
Stripping the drain plug or drain plug hole
Stripping the flange that the filter screws onto
Not using a washer with the drain plug
Using two washers with the drain plug

Look-auto service is a business. What you need to consider is that the dealership has far more of a vested interest in not pissing you off than the jiffy lube you drove into because your service light came on. The dealership can perform recall work and updates that you didn't know you were eligible for. They will use 100% correct and compatible parts and fluids.

Attempt to build a relationship with a dealer before writing them off out of the gate. They have the ability to help you in a pinch.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
What you need to consider is that the dealership has far more of a vested interest in not pissing you off than the jiffy lube you drove into because your service light came on.
There's a reason fast oil change businesses popped up and have become popular, and it ain't because auto dealerships were providing such phenomenal customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary