Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:38 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
how are they going to put lipstick on that pig for an event like this?
They won't really have to. Didn't you know that urban decay is chic and trendy these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
My wife and I discussed going last night. We're not going to make it...and it ain't about the money. I was there in the beginning when the Subway opened in '72. I spent a lot of hard earned money there from that time until around '78 or so. I have a lot of fond memories of that Raleigh era and of hanging out in the Subway. I think I prefer to remember it all like it was 40 years ago. Will Doc and Merle be there playing at The Pier?

Old 03-31-2015, 10:21 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
how are they going to put lipstick on that pig for an event like this?
I think the non-lipsticked version is exactly what the target audience would want to see (i.e. those who used to go there) to see the original murals and such.

I remember being down there a few times as a kid; it was an interesting place, but not really any businesses catering to me at that age. Lily Tomlin appeared at the Frog & Nightgown and my mother took me, but we hadn't bought in advance and of course it was sold out. I definitely remember the "subway entrance" that was out in the parking lot in front of where the library is now.

It's great that people remember it, but I don't see this event, at that price, accomplishing what people would like.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:44 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
BTW, from one of the "growing up in Raleigh" Facebook groups, here is an old directory of what businesses were there at one time. The fonts and store names remind you that it was the '70s
Attached Thumbnails
Cameron Village to open underground for one night-village-subway.jpg  

Old 03-31-2015, 08:21 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
They won't really have to. Didn't you know that urban decay is chic and trendy these days.
Even the moldy smells and the dust?

Old 04-01-2015, 12:27 AM

826 posts, read 1,931,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Call me a skeptic. This supposedly one night only ,last chance event is going to generate far too much money to never repeat itself. If they could get the necessary permits to do it once then I'd imagine it could more easily be done again. Give it a few months and we will here about "First Fridays" under the village.
I silently agreed with you when I read your post then saw this:

Here?s why the ?Underground? at Cameron Village will likely be closed for good after this summer - Triangle Business Journal

Old 04-01-2015, 01:20 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
Yeah I was wondering about that. I remember reading about those plans a while back. This will likely be the only / last time the old Subway space will be open to the public, because The Fresh Market isn't going anywhere. Once they expand into that space, it's done.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:26 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
I OFTEN stand corrected. I actually used to work at that Fresh Market. It definitely needs an overhaul on more then just space issues.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:58 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I am also a bit too young to have partaken in any of the nightlife, but I definitely remember going to Battlestations arcade (I ran across a red painted quarter maybe 4-5 years ago) and remember the ads for the stereo shop down there.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:13 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
I actually went to the Fresh Market today and asked them what's up. Apparently the Cameron Village store is much smaller than their other stores. They plan to move all the refrigerators down there, knock out walls upstairs, and make the store more in-line with their other stores.

Maybe I could talk someone into giving me a little free mini-tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: