Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:09 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I find HT's to be fresher and better. (and I usually grill them to put on a salad, so I'll buy a few goodies off the salad bar to enhance what I make at home. Maybe some Garbanzo's, bacon bits, eggs, or mozz-balls...)
You just gave me a great idea..... I also like and purchase the fresh $1.99 lb chicken breast at HT to grill and put on my salads. Never thought about stopping at the salad bar and picking up a couple of items to 'enhance' my sometime otherwise dull dinner salad .... thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:21 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
I am a vegan, and I buy organic whenever possible.
The same issue of CR has an article recommending what to buy as organic and/or based on the country of origin.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:13 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,533,793 times
I like the Walmart Marketplace at High House and Hwy 55 in Cary for basic stuff. I work close by and it's easy for me to pop in. And they are open 24/7 - not sure why they need to do that.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:25 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Walmart Marketplace is online. You may be referring to Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:29 AM

143 posts, read 201,553 times
I have had to throw away enough food from the Apex walmart that any savings I could get there is rendered moot.

Most of it was items incorrectly stored - frozen items that have clearly thawed and refrozen, baked goods with chocolate/frosting on them that are melted inside the package.

I live very close to that WalMart, and I will not buy any food there except one hispanic brand of rice pudding because I can't find it anywhere else. hehe.

I drive all the way to Publix now for all my groceries. Worth the drive for the quality, and I like to support their "no card, no hassles" policy because I don't like the privacy invasion of loyalty cards.

Publix pumpkin pie is to die for, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbctong View Post
Maybe it's because I'm a single and don't do a bunch of bulk shopping but I've found the savings between a Publix and a Walmart is little if non-existent. Given that, I'd rather go to Publix or Harris Teeter.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:46 PM

28 posts, read 44,598 times
I used to shop at Walmart for dairy. But after unknowingly buying expired items, I've never shopped there anymore unless in emergency.

For organic/hormone-free meat, I used to shop at Whole Food. But somebody let me in on the secret. The meat sold at halal (Islamic) butchers is supposed to come from grass fed cows or free-range chickens and hormone-free. Because inhumane animal treatment and the use of hormone are forbidden in Islam. Their price is about the same as supermarket's non-organic meat. I have been shopping there for meat/chicken.

As for produce, I find Kroger's organic produce less expensive than other stores'.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:02 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
That's what Costco is for! Costco TP is legendary, and I really like their HE detergent.
Legendary is not overstating it. Some months back I had a toilet clog up on me at a high rise. The first person to have a go at unclogging it was the building maintenance guy. While we were chatting he asked what kind of toilet paper was being used and I said Costco. "Right answer" according to him. A short time later it was decided a regular plumber with some power equipment was needed and one of the first things the plumber did was grab a sheet off the roll, had a close look and kind of rubbed it between his fingers and said "Costco, right?" Yup. He told me it was what he recommended folks use because it was sturdy enough to do the job but disintegrated well after it got in the system. OK....

There was also a documentary a few years back on CNBC about Costco with an entire segment on the tissue. They had some crazy statistics about how much is sold and how much testing they do to make sure it stays to specifications and such.

Who'd a thunk?

Old 04-04-2015, 06:37 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Legendary is not overstating it. Some months back I had a toilet clog up on me at a high rise. The first person to have a go at unclogging it was the building maintenance guy. While we were chatting he asked what kind of toilet paper was being used and I said Costco. "Right answer" according to him. A short time later it was decided a regular plumber with some power equipment was needed and one of the first things the plumber did was grab a sheet off the roll, had a close look and kind of rubbed it between his fingers and said "Costco, right?" Yup. He told me it was what he recommended folks use because it was sturdy enough to do the job but disintegrated well after it got in the system. OK....

There was also a documentary a few years back on CNBC about Costco with an entire segment on the tissue. They had some crazy statistics about how much is sold and how much testing they do to make sure it stays to specifications and such.

Who'd a thunk?
Wow, after this second comment, I googled it. People are SERIOUS about their Costco TP. Apparently there was a change to the product in 2012 and people revolted. This is great info, just as I'm planning to join Costco soon, with the Apex store coming online.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if they fixed the changes from 2012, or is that the new norm (and still better than the rest)?

Old 04-04-2015, 07:52 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,533,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Walmart Marketplace is online. You may be referring to Walmart Neighborhood Market.
Yes, the Neighborhood Market. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2015, 08:01 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Harris Teeter and Publix are very similar in terms of quality and price. But Publix customer service may be a bit better. As for the number 1 store which was omitted, that was Wegman's which is one state removed in Fredericksburg, Va. and on their way to Richmond. Maybe they will eventually find their way down the road to NC. Meanwhile, Food Lion is trying to upgrade and improve, so that may be one to keep an eye on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary