Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 04:51 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,220 times

Advertisements

And here we go...

"Police are investigating after someone spray-painted the words "murderer" and "black lives matter" on the "Silent Sam" Confederate memorial on the campus of UNC Chapel Hill."

'Silent Sam' statue at UNC Chapel Hill vandalized | abc11.com

Lets see if the UNC leadership has enough backbone to stand up to the forces that wish to sanitize our history.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:37 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
And here we go...

"Police are investigating after someone spray-painted the words "murderer" and "black lives matter" on the "Silent Sam" Confederate memorial on the campus of UNC Chapel Hill."

Lets see if the UNC leadership has enough backbone to stand up to the forces that wish to sanitize our history.
What if it was a bunch of white frat boys?

Old 07-06-2015, 12:23 PM

396 posts, read 409,570 times
Quote:
And here we go...

It would be absolutely wonderful if people could just get over themselves and recognize that some individuals find this kind of iconography distasteful and insulting and remove it.

All of this has become an exercise in stubbornness.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
It would be absolutely wonderful if people could just get over themselves and recognize that some individuals find this kind of iconography distasteful and insulting and remove it.
And some don't, and wish it to remain.

And some on both sides recognize the value that exists in acknowledging our history, both good and bad. Some know that only through open discussion is progress made, discussion that can't occur if our history is eradicated. Some understand that attempting to sanitize our past is a fools errand. I would think a history teacher would understand and advocate for that...after all, its what history teachers do for a living. If we don't care about history, and wish to pretend it never happened, then why bother to learn it.

This has nothing to do with anyone getting over themselves. Except perhaps for a few small minded dolts who place their feelings above all else.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 07-06-2015 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 12:52 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
Quote:

All of this has become an exercise in stubbornness.
Why remove a war memorial for UNC students who died and has stood for over 100 years? If folks want to read more into it than that, I can't stop them. It isn't like we are talking about a flag that was raised over state capitals to protest the integration of schools.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:55 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Why remove a war memorial for UNC students who died and has stood for over 100 years? If folks want to read more into it than that, I can't stop them. It isn't like we are talking about a flag that was raised over state capitals to protest the integration of schools.
because we must censor the root of perceived offense

Old 07-06-2015, 01:15 PM

396 posts, read 409,570 times
Quote:
And some don't, and wish it to remain.

And some on both sides recognize the value that exists in acknowledging our history, both good and bad. Some know that only through open discussion is progress made, discussion that can't occur if our history is eradicated. Some understand that attempting to sanitize our past is a fools errand. I would think a history teacher would understand and advocate for that...after all, its what history teachers do for a living. If we don't care about history, and wish to pretend it never happened, then why bother to learn it.

This has nothing to do with anyone getting over themselves. Except perhaps for a few small minded dolts who place their feelings above all else.
Discussion also cannot and will never occur as long as these symbols have associations with radical racism. Whether it is justified or not, it is all futile.

And as a history teacher, I recognize that a discussion on this or any topic is not dependent on a monument or memorial. Germans don't need statues of Erwin Rommel or Fritz Christen to remember the importance of WWII/the NSDAP, or to have discussions on its (or their) significance. The argument that these monuments need to stick around lest our history be eradicated and all discussions on the matter ended are absurd. I advocate for understanding real history, not a monumentalization of it.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Discussion also cannot and will never occur as long as these symbols have associations with radical racism.

And as a history teacher, I recognize that a discussion on this or any topic is not dependent on a monument or memorial. Germans don't need statues of Erwin Rommel or Fritz Christen to remember the importance of WWII/the NSDAP, or to have discussions on its (or their) significance. The argument that these monuments need to stick around lest our history be eradicated and all discussions on the matter ended are absurd. I advocate for understanding real history, not a monumentalization of it.
Hogwash. And the UNC statue is representative of students who died in the war. It doesn't memorialize the confederate leadership.

There are many monuments and memorials to everyday WW2 German soldiers throughout that country.

Real history includes ALL of it...not just the part you're comfortable with.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 07-06-2015 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 01:43 PM

248 posts, read 494,715 times
I'm about as far from a confederate flag wearer as you can imagine.

However, sheerly as a psychological question to ponder, why would anyone be under the impression that making a point by committing a crime, particularly such a filthy crime as spray painting a monument, is a good way to create support for their cause, or respect for themselves or the group they want represent?

It's kind of like saying "damnit, I'm a kind-hearted, nice guy who would not hurt a flea and if you don't accept that I'll knock you out, mofo!"

Committing vandalism is not a very smart way to protest something or to gain respect of the public.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:01 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Discussion also cannot and will never occur as long as these symbols have associations with radical racism. Whether it is justified or not, it is all futile.

Germans most certainly have monuments to the WWII dead, both the civilians & those who were forced into the military & never returned. I've seen them.

What is the difference between a wall or several walls with names or a single generic soldier who represents those names?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary