U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 23,877 times

Advertisements

This is my first post and I have been reading about some of the concerns from people about the Wake County School System and the redistricting of students. Is this prevalent in HS or Apex or does this occur more so in the "larger" areas like Cary? We are thinking of moving down (shocking, I know) from MD and love everything about the area so far, but just have a concern that we will be living in a community that our children will not be going to school in. I have done some searches on the board, but the range of responses goes from "it's not as bad as it sounds" to near arguments. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:38 AM

90 posts, read 286,144 times
I'll be the first on the "not so bad" side! =)

Of course, we live within walking distance to our school - so we haven't had our school switched. We were, though, switched to mandatory year round - which was a move that a lot of people were furious about! We absolutely love the schedule.

The school board down here has a few bad apples and only a couple of great ones (IMO) - but I don't know of any other places that can't say the same.

The thing is - the people who are infuriated are the ones who post - the 75% who are okay with stuff, they don't post. Ya know?

Personally, I have found that our school worked with us on an individual basis on several issues - and I've heard the same from many neighbors. They did do right by us. I don't know of any families personally who are being bused. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen - I am just saying that right now, I don't know of anyone locally myself. And I know a lot of people in HS. There are plenty of people who are unhappy with their situation because they don't like their options - but they were given options. (Like, some got pulled from magnet schools and had to reapply or go back to a "regular" school. Some had to either transition to a year round school when their school converted OR they had to bring their kids to a further away - 3-4 miles - traditional school. To me - that's fair dice - you may not like it, but that isn't the same things as mandatory busing to the Raleigh projects.)

That's my 0.02. I tend to be a little pollyanna by nature, but I seriously think our schools here in HS are great.

If I ever left the triangle - that would be the last of my reasons!

Kristen

Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 AM

351 posts, read 947,229 times
Most of the redistricting that would happen in HS or Apex would be to bus you to balance F&R percentages (by busing low income kids IN to the seats that are vacated by the reassignment) or to bus you to a newly opened school (not necessarily closer to you, geographically).

As far as Apex Elem schools, there is only ONE on the traditional calendar, the rest are y/r, although, as the law currently stands, no one can be FORCED into a year round school ( but the tradtional opt out options are usually much farther away than your base school).

Good luck. We didn't live remotely close to Apex/Cary/HS, but still left Wake County (we were in NRaleigh, very close to Wake Forest) because we refused to subject our child to the social-engineering merry-go-round that *I* (my opinion) believe to be the priority #1 of the Wake Board of Ed (The "Ed" part takes a VERY visible back-seat to all the endless shuffling to "balance for socio-economic diversity" - which they're failing at, as some schools have as low as 10% F&R and others are sitting at 60-70%).

I also did not believe in their credo that they cannot offer decent electives at the elem/mid level because it would take away from the "attraction" of the magnet schools.
Where we live now, my daughter will get music, Spanish, etc etc... ALL part of the REGULAR good ol' public school system.

Again, Good Luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 AM

8 posts, read 23,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMetsGal View Post
Most of the redistricting that would happen in HS or Apex would be to bus you to balance F&R percentages (by busing low income kids IN to the seats that are vacated by the reassignment) or to bus you to a newly opened school (not necessarily closer to you, geographically).

As far as Apex Elem schools, there is only ONE on the traditional calendar, the rest are y/r, although, as the law currently stands, no one can be FORCED into a year round school ( but the tradtional opt out options are usually much farther away than your base school).

Good luck. We didn't live remotely close to Apex/Cary/HS, but still left Wake County (we were in NRaleigh, very close to Wake Forest) because we refused to subject our child to the social-engineering merry-go-round that *I* (my opinion) believe to be the priority #1 of the Wake Board of Ed (The "Ed" part takes a VERY visible back-seat to all the endless shuffling to "balance for socio-economic diversity" - which they're failing at, as some schools have as low as 10% F&R and others are sitting at 60-70%).

I also did not believe in their credo that they cannot offer decent electives at the elem/mid level because it would take away from the "attraction" of the magnet schools.
Where we live now, my daughter will get music, Spanish, etc etc... ALL part of the REGULAR good ol' public school system.

Again, Good Luck!
Thanks! So, are you saying that where you live in N. Raleigh this doesn't occur? If that is the case is that for all of N. Raleigh or just happens to be your community? I am not to concerned in the year round vs traditional aspect of schooling. Year round sounds fine to me in fact in some aspects it sounds better. I just don't want my kids to be going to a school that doesn't have the kids from their community in it or be in one school one year and a totally different school the next. My biggest fear on this entire move is the impact it will have on my children. If they have to meet new friends ever other year because they are getting "shipped" around that adds to my fear. Change isn't easy on anyone, especially young children.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 AM

Hi!

Actually the whole county is subject to reassignment. Some areas experience it more than others.

My old community (I have since left Wake) was bussed to a school about 4 miles away, even though we had a school SO CLOSE I could hit the playground with a rock if I threw it from my yard.

We petitioned the school board constantly to reassign us closer, and after several years they did. But that meant taking the kids who WERE there, and moving them. That meant our kids would reap the benefits of all the hard work the former PTA had done; getting computers, etc etc etc... and that the kids of those PTA members would be moved to a school where they'd have to start the building process all over again. (And this school was not closer, but actually FARTHER AWAY than the school THEY were closest to... It's craziness... Anyway..)

This situation pitted neighbor against neighbor. I didn't like it.

I just decided I couldn't handle it anymore. I didn't even have a kid in school yet, and already I was seeing the politics, the unfairness, the diversity issue trumping actual academics... It was just too much for me.

This is only my opinion based on LOTS of research (since the school bond passed in 2006) and subsequently meeting with parents who were as puzzled, frustrated and fed up as I was. They're still fighting, bless them. I couldn't stomach it, and bailed. I have not looked back, and couldn't be happier.

You can PM me for more, since I don't want to hijack this thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:06 AM

9,821 posts, read 29,051,084 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ment-plan.html

Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 AM

90 posts, read 286,144 times
And I also want to throw out there - my third grader at Holly Springs Elementary does get art, music, Spanish, computers and PE all once a week each. She has since Kindergarten (except there was no Spanish during K.)

Again - that's MY experience... I have neighbors whom I respect and adore who may disagree and feel that their choices were not acceptable.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:17 PM

906 posts, read 2,288,821 times
To clarify UNCMetsGal's post, every elem child gets art, music & PE once a week. Then other 'specials' are up to the individual principals and how they choose to spend their allotment from Curriculum & Instruction. So some offer Spanish, some have reader's theater, some schools spend the allotment on extra AG resources, etc.

HOWEVER, your non-magnet elem school cannot offer Spanish more than once (maybe twice) a week and cannot offer a 'leveled' program where the children are taught at different levels and move ahead at their own pace. That sort of program is reserved solely for magnet elems. Band and orchestra are not allowed in non-magnet elems period because that is an elective and nobody else can have electives. (this info came directly from the head of the magnet office)

Old 01-15-2008, 12:28 PM

2,583 posts, read 8,716,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
Band and orchestra are not allowed in non-magnet elems period because that is an elective and nobody else can have electives. (this info came directly from the head of the magnet office)
Is that at the elementry level only, or does the same thing apply to band and orchestra in middle schools?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:34 PM

Thanks for clarifying that for me, raleighjayne. It's hard to remember that each nuance sometimes has to be made very clear for people who are not familiar with some of the more wonky ins-and-outs of WCPSS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary