U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 03:24 PM

107 posts, read 412,916 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (and a baby due in June) will be moving back to Durham in July. My husband will be working at Duke Hospital and I still need to find a job. We were originally going to buy a house right away but we are holding off because we need to sell our condo in Boston first. I plan to come for a weekend in April to attend a teacher Job fair and to find an apartment. We used to live in Alexan Farms which I found just fine (good location, well kept) but my husband doesn't want to go back there because he thinks it will feel like we haven't moved forward with our lives. Anyway Since we probably will live in the apartment for longer than anticipated (1 year) I've been researching other apartments and I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback.
My criteria are: 1. safe area
2. predominately families and/or young professionals
3. nice amenities: fitness center and a pool
4. newer/ not rundown
While I don't like to throw money away on rent, I am willing to pay more to be in a nicer and safer complex.
Does anyone have suggestions or specific feedback on the following complexes: 1. The lodge at southpoint
2. Notting Hill (I think this is in Chapel Hill which is fine)
3. Updates on Alexan Farms or Alexan Place
4. The evergreens at Mt. Moriah
5. Southpoint village
other suggestions in SW Durham?
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 04:44 PM

2,054 posts, read 5,650,586 times
We are moving out of Alexan Place (only because we bought a house). This place is great as far as apartments go. Mostly you have young professionals and Duke students here. The apartments are nice, spacious. It's pretty quiet here. The pools are awesome. I will miss them this summer and the gyms are pretty good. I think this location is prime. We are close to everything. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:35 PM

Default new management at Alexan place?

Thanks for the reply Sandycat. I read on an apartment review website that Alexan Place got a new management company about a year ago and some people claimed that the place went "downhill" a little. Did you notice any of this?
We almost rented at Alexan place when we lived in Durham before but we negotiated a better rent with Alexan Farms for the same unit. I did love the location.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 AM

1,364 posts, read 5,834,949 times
I live in South Terrace at Auburn.

I rather like it - havent had any major issues. Parking can be a nuisance but I've NEVER had to park more than 200-300 feet from my front door.

We looked at some that you named and thought Mt. Moriah was a little aged. 1520 Magnolia was decent but maybe a little aged too.

Southpoint village was, I believe, overpriced.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 AM

405 posts, read 1,708,576 times
Why not rent a house instead?

Some of our good friends just moved out of a rental in Woodcroft (to move to Boston). He also worked at Duke and she was a SAHM of 2 young kids. IMO, I think a SFH neighborhood would be a much better option than an apartment--especially the Lodge at Southpoint, which seems to me to be full of young, single, 20-somethings (though I don't live there... that's just my observation). Particularly with a newborn, I think a single family home could offer you much more privacy/peace/quiet than any apartment could--plus, you'd have parking right out your front door, which is certainly a plus when you're lugging a baby and all his/her stuff around.

FWIW, I think that Woodcroft house is still for rent. I drive by it daily and it doesn't look like anyone is living there right now. I live across the street in Woodlake, and there are always houses for rent in my area. The prices seem to be comparable to those for a 3 BR apartment. Woodlake, for one, has a pool that is free with HOA dues (cheap--$27/month, and probably paid by the owner and not the renter) and a handful of free cardio machines in the clubhouse. There is a decent and inexpensive gym (with childcare) right down the street too. Woodcroft has a pool/clubhouse as well, but their fees are significantly higher. Search this forum for other threads that speak specifically to that, as there have been some recently.

good luck!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:39 AM

189 posts, read 725,541 times
Check out "1520 Magnolia." (That is the name of the complex, not the address.) It is used heavily for corporate relocations, has a good location, and a pool and small fitness center. It is very quiet, too. Here's the link Estates Management.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:58 PM

Default house in woodcroft a good idea

Renting a house in woodcroft or woodlake does sound like a good idea. My question is: how can I find houses for rent for July 1st (Newspaper, craig's list)? I would very much like to have my housing situation squared away before the baby comes.
I'm also a little bit scared to rent something sight unseen but I will be unable to travel past May 20th (per doctor's note- not that I want to travel close to my due date anyway).
Anyone know of houses that will be available for July 1st that I could possible check out in April???

Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
Why not rent a house instead?

Some of our good friends just moved out of a rental in Woodcroft (to move to Boston). He also worked at Duke and she was a SAHM of 2 young kids. IMO, I think a SFH neighborhood would be a much better option than an apartment--especially the Lodge at Southpoint, which seems to me to be full of young, single, 20-somethings (though I don't live there... that's just my observation). Particularly with a newborn, I think a single family home could offer you much more privacy/peace/quiet than any apartment could--plus, you'd have parking right out your front door, which is certainly a plus when you're lugging a baby and all his/her stuff around.

FWIW, I think that Woodcroft house is still for rent. I drive by it daily and it doesn't look like anyone is living there right now. I live across the street in Woodlake, and there are always houses for rent in my area. The prices seem to be comparable to those for a 3 BR apartment. Woodlake, for one, has a pool that is free with HOA dues (cheap--$27/month, and probably paid by the owner and not the renter) and a handful of free cardio machines in the clubhouse. There is a decent and inexpensive gym (with childcare) right down the street too. Woodcroft has a pool/clubhouse as well, but their fees are significantly higher. Search this forum for other threads that speak specifically to that, as there have been some recently.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary