Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:01 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times

Advertisements

61% Southern..........I guess living right below the Mason Dixon for 29 years does make me a Southerner (MD).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 05:21 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
Tag sale is definitely NYC area (at least in Westchester and CT). When I moved there and saw signs I didn't know what the heck it was referring to as we always called them garage sales.

And another question: What the heck is sweet tea? Is it just sweetened ice tea? I know that at home you would never get unsweetened ice tea, but when travelling to the "States" we would always make the mistake of ordering ice tea and then having to ask for packets of sweetener. So what the heck is it anyways?

Old 01-16-2008, 05:31 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Tag sale is definitely NYC area (at least in Westchester and CT). When I moved there and saw signs I didn't know what the heck it was referring to as we always called them garage sales.

And another question: What the heck is sweet tea? Is it just sweetened ice tea? I know that at home you would never get unsweetened ice tea, but when travelling to the "States" we would always make the mistake of ordering ice tea and then having to ask for packets of sweetener. So what the heck is it anyways?
Tag sale was definitely the term in CT (although I don't think I ever saw one in my home town!).

Old 01-16-2008, 06:17 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I find that I use different terms in different environments. For instance, at home we tend to use the English words for things a lot ("trainers" instead of "tennis shoes", "bin liner" instead of "trash bag", etc.). But as soon as I get back to my parents' house, I use the same, southern words they do.
Well, except for "warsh". Every time my mother says that it drives me nuts!
My southern roots come out much more when I'm up in the mountains around true country folk! I also felt it come out when I lived in the Rockies and travelled home. People told me I talked differently when I got back out west.

My grandparents said "warsh"...brings back good memories of them. My mother-in-law says "idear" instead of idea, and my 3 year old son corrects her every time she says it.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:46 AM

271 posts, read 700,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Tag sale was definitely the term in CT (although I don't think I ever saw one in my home town!).
Its Gotta Be CT.
Like I said Earlier I never heard that in NYC

Old 01-17-2008, 08:08 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Quote:

a gift from heaven it is ......

yes, it is iced tea that is sweetened.

Last edited by autumngal; 01-17-2008 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: ok ok, so I am addicted to sweet tea :)

Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 AM

282 posts, read 835,041 times
Quote:
Sweet Tea (pronounced Sweetee most of the time) is something kind of like sweetened Iced Tea, except that it's twice as strong and 4 times as sweet.

If you need more sugar than what's already in it - get a diabetes test....

Old 01-17-2008, 02:36 PM

401 posts, read 1,623,560 times
I scored a 71% southern. I figured it would have been higher than that, since my kids laugh at me all the time when I tell them to get their "britches" on.
I am still amused at the spin that southerners put on words even after I have been around country folks all my life.
Have you ever heard anyone refer to a lawnmower as a "lawnmotor" ? How about calling a chimney a "chimily"?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:11 PM

36 posts, read 84,263 times
Default Born for the South

Okay, I just did this for fun and got a 58% Dixie. I'm pretty thrilled with the score because I'm a Mainer from birth, but longing to live in the South. We're actually in the process of trying to move to NC in the Triangle Area. Yah! Finally...maybe my score will improve. Cyn

Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBoundGeek View Post
Sweet Tea (pronounced Sweetee most of the time) is something kind of like sweetened Iced Tea, except that it's twice as strong and 4 times as sweet.

If you need more sugar than what's already in it - get a diabetes test....
I've lived here nine months and I still haven't tried sweet tea! Sacrilege. I've never been much of an iced tea fan but I have to try it soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary