Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 12:34 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times

Advertisements

I would check your expectations a bit friend.

Chapel Hill Carrboro is a bet set aside from the main hum of RTP / Raleigh / Durham and is very much around its university identity. It's a small town more than a city. What I want to emphasize to you is all the night lifes and the to dos are more about college students / twenty somethings. So if you like hitting it up with that demographic by all means.

That being said carrboro does lean a little older and I would go that way more than on franklin it really is a college kid scene.

From Carrboro you can easily bike into UNC (i used to do it)

you can probably rent a house or something around carrboro with a little yard access. Greenbridge is nice but it does have a bad reputation in the community I personally wouldn't support it. It's been mostly vacant for many years. Greendbridge is surrounded by urban blocks and is more oriented to carrboro than franklin, it's probably a 25 minute walk to UNC from there.
That being said just in the past two years other similar developments have sprung up and so maybe greenbridge will make a little more sense.

But again unless you like being around early 20s folks i wouldn't live on franklin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 05:22 PM

7 posts, read 5,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post
This is a few miles further down MLK (Martin Luther King rd), if you are open to this, but right near the intersection of I-40 and Eubanks is a rental community called Chapel Watch Village. They are 2-3 bedroom townhomes (two levels), and are a dog-friendly community. I believe rent starts somewhere around $1300 for a 2BR. Directly across the street is a bus lot, and Chapel Hill residents ride for free. It takes about 8-10 minutes to drive up to UNC from there. There's also a Crossfit right across the street too, if you like to work out there.

Heading up the road from there is an apartment complex called Chapel Hills North, which sits right behind Harris Teeter. They have apartments and townhomes, but I believe rents for 1 BR begin up around $1000. These are much newer. Like the one above though, it isn't really a quick walk up to UNC. They look really nice though.
Thanks for the suggestions. I had looked into Chapel Watch but really would like to be closer to the campus. Thanks though!

Old 04-06-2015, 06:28 PM

7 posts, read 5,218 times
Again, thanks so much for all the feedback

There seems to be a consistent animosity towards the Greenbridge condos. As an outsider, I don't really understand the issue. Does it reflects gentrification of a traditionally hipper, more affordable area? Or did they do something truly wrong (misplace residents, etc)? Insight would be appreciated.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Well for one thing it's ugly. Many people do think they misplaced businesses that served the Northside community. I have heard that it's very nice inside, but I've never been in. It really has had scaffolding up for the past 3 or 4 years and I don't know what's up with that. Maybe something to do with the foreclosure? It's even on Google street view. Still looks just like that. I was down there last weekend. That drive-by must've been at least almost a year old because the trees are all leafed out.

Here's a history: The Daily Tar Heel :: Topics : Greenbridge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary