Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 06:40 AM

3 posts, read 2,832 times

Advertisements

This is my first post in city-data, even though I've been researching and reading for years

So, here's the deal. My family and I are moving from Wilmington to Apex at the end of this month. We've had the highest level of TWC broadband here in Wilmington forEVER, and both my husband and I work from home a lot. Our new house is off the 751, just over the Chatham County line, in the 27523 zipcode.

It turns out, NOTHING seems to be available there. Time Warner did a survey and said they can't run a line (something about the lease on that area?). AT&T is saying that they can give us DSL, but only the 3mbps plan at best. Every other option is data limited (satellite or cell phone provider).

Am I missing anything? Are there any other providers that I just don't know about or can't find? Everything else about our move has fallen right into place, but this internet thing is getting so frustrating. Coming from life in "the city" all these years, I'm a little incredulous at the lack of options in our new town

Also: if we're THAT rural, will we have a chance in hell of getting a fiber option run to our place, or are we just sort of sunk, you think?

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 06:43 AM

86 posts, read 153,693 times
Chatham County : Utility Providers

Check with each of them... if this is that important to you though, its really something you should have looked into before purchasing the home.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:44 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Ouch. That hurts.

You need a big subdivision to go up across the road. So you aren't so rural anymore.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:49 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Ouch. That hurts.

You need a big subdivision to go up across the road. So you aren't so rural anymore.
There's almost no doubt that 751 will be the new highway 55 in probably a decade; so chances are that will happen; just a matter of how long. Who knows what the high speed internet options will be in general by then.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:54 AM

We rented - if we were buying, we certainly would have looked at everything first! We found the perfect house in the perfect location (less than ten minutes from my daughter's school and both of our new jobs), with all the amenities we needed, and didn't even consider asking about internet - because everything else was perfect (and I truly have never had to think about internet options before - everywhere I've lived in Wilmington has access to broadband internet, even the more "out there" areas!)

Thanks for all the help! I agree - at SOME point it won't be so rural. By then, we will probably have moved into a more serviceable neighborhood

Old 04-06-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxwife View Post
We rented - if we were buying, we certainly would have looked at everything first! We found the perfect house in the perfect location (less than ten minutes from my daughter's school and both of our new jobs), with all the amenities we needed, and didn't even consider asking about internet - because everything else was perfect (and I truly have never had to think about internet options before - everywhere I've lived in Wilmington has access to broadband internet, even the more "out there" areas!)

Thanks for all the help! I agree - at SOME point it won't be so rural. By then, we will probably have moved into a more serviceable neighborhood
In ten years, we will have the NSA/GOOG chips behind our ears, and won't care near as much!

More seriously, how is your cell service?
You might use your phones for hotspots, and might do very well with that.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-06-2015 at 07:55 AM..

Old 04-06-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
In ten years, we will have the NSA/GOOG chips behind our ears, and won't care near as much!

More seriously, how is your cell service?
You might use your phones for hotspots, and might do very well with that.
Hahaha

Our cell service is fantastic at the house, actually - and we could consider switching to Sprint for the unlimited data, I suppose? With an 11 year old, we do a LOT of streaming, and we rip through our 10gb AT&T cell plan every month

It'll be a little bit on the pricey side, but it's a thought. Thank you!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Hahaha

Our cell service is fantastic at the house, actually - and we could consider switching to Sprint for the unlimited data, I suppose? With an 11 year old, we do a LOT of streaming, and we rip through our 10gb AT&T cell plan every month

It'll be a little bit on the pricey side, but it's a thought. Thank you!
Maybe not a great long term solution, but might be good enough to get you through a rental.

I would caution you on Sprint. "Unlimited" is easy to honor if they can't give you a good signal to use.
I left S 12/31/2013, without ever looking back for any reason.
IMO, the ATT network beats them hands down in most places around here for speed and reliability. It might be worth it to pay the premium for more data as long as you are sort of stuck.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:44 PM

634 posts, read 913,056 times
Quote:
Time Warner did a survey and said they can't run a line (something about the lease on that area?).
Can you expand on this any? As in, possibly there's a distribution point nearby, but the route from it to the residence can't be traversed?

Did a service guy visit the site?

I asked, as I moved recently, called Time Warner, and they said, no service ... until I told them that the road had a distribution system (of theirs) in place (for over a year). They then said that the distribution system wasn't registered in their system.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:24 AM

143 posts, read 201,708 times
yep, you are stuck unfortunately.

I would suggest getting two forms of internet where you are going, since your options are slightly less reliable.

It will cost you, but probably less than missing work because your internet is down/slow.

FYI - when you do buy a house I would make sure it's in a Google Fiber planned service area. Apex isn't getting it at all, sadly. I'd link you the service map area, but it's not finalized yet.

I will definitely be buying my next house in Google Fiber territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary