Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:30 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,329,917 times

Advertisements

[quote=cyn7cyn;39135443]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Can't the same be said of North Raleigh or even IBL? After all, the acronym is "Can't Afford Raleigh Yet"![/QUOTE

I personally have never heard that. In my experience the people who choose ITB are quite different in expectations then those who choose Cary. Cary isn't perceived as some waiting ground to enter Raleigh by any means. If you want to live in Raleigh and want to be around shopping and nice subdivisions etc and you have the money you choose midtown to north. If you want a slightly urban experience you head ITB or downtown. People who choose Cary are looking to live in Cary with all its shopping,schools,safety,job commute and prestige amongst other transplants.
Well I have heard the acronym several times, it was first told to me by realtor! Perhaps it just applies to North Raleigh and not IBL.

As far as the original statement that I quoted that the only segregation in Cary is white collar vs blue, I still think that statement can be applied to North Raleigh and just like Cary it may not be the entire place but a portion of it. I do not see that many differences between Cary and North Raleigh. In fact there is another thread on here about North Raleigh being suburban anywhere USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 07:45 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,906,355 times
Quick note on schools: within each county, there are assignment zones based on address. It works a bit differently between the Triangle core counties, but generally speaking, you can have some certainty as to school assignment based on address. In high-growth areas of Wake Co., new housing is booming and addresses sometimes get reassigned.

Typically these reassignments are to schools that are just about as good (or sometimes brand new) but those with the mentality that they have to have their snowflake at "THE one and only best school" will be upset if their child is no longer at the school they thought was best. (To be really darkly cynical for a moment, those posts on City-Data typically have the most atrocious spelling and grammar, but there you go.) Frankly, I don't think there's likely to be a real difference; students aren't being reassigned from high-performing suburban schools to inner-city, low-scoring schools. There WAS a rather pioneering diversity initiative a few years ago that did migrate some students in the opposite direction to avoid creating high-poverty schools, but that fell into a politicized woodchipper.

There are also magnet school options that can be lottery driven; and just to give you more choice, charter schools that have application/lottery processes, too. Magnets are open to county residents only; charters can see students cross county lines.

In our neighborhood in Durham, there is a diverse, popular, high-PTA-support elementary school that operates as a magnet, but if you are in a certain distance of the school ("walk zone"), you have a guaranteed admit. However, the extremely popular and high-ranking magnet school for the arts (which is across the street practically from my house) does not have such a zone. So it can be confusing indeed, and different across county lines.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:07 AM

815 posts, read 989,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Quick note on schools: within each county, there are assignment zones based on address. It works a bit differently between the Triangle core counties, but generally speaking, you can have some certainty as to school assignment based on address. In high-growth areas of Wake Co., new housing is booming and addresses sometimes get reassigned.

Typically these reassignments are to schools that are just about as good (or sometimes brand new) but those with the mentality that they have to have their snowflake at "THE one and only best school" will be upset if their child is no longer at the school they thought was best. (To be really darkly cynical for a moment, those posts on City-Data typically have the most atrocious spelling and grammar, but there you go.) Frankly, I don't think there's likely to be a real difference; students aren't being reassigned from high-performing suburban schools to inner-city, low-scoring schools. There WAS a rather pioneering diversity initiative a few years ago that did migrate some students in the opposite direction to avoid creating high-poverty schools, but that fell into a politicized woodchipper.

There are also magnet school options that can be lottery driven; and just to give you more choice, charter schools that have application/lottery processes, too. Magnets are open to county residents only; charters can see students cross county lines.

In our neighborhood in Durham, there is a diverse, popular, high-PTA-support elementary school that operates as a magnet, but if you are in a certain distance of the school ("walk zone"), you have a guaranteed admit. However, the extremely popular and high-ranking magnet school for the arts (which is across the street practically from my house) does not have such a zone. So it can be confusing indeed, and different across county lines.
The cool little feature about Zillow, is that you can click on a school on the map, and it draws a boundary around the area that the particular school serves (not sure how accurate it is, but definitely gives you a rough idea). I think that will be a great tool in our search. As far as re-assigning, it wouldn't bother us to an extent. I think it would be more of an issue if our children were constantly having to switch schools and having to start from scratch and make new friends!

Old 04-08-2015, 10:32 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,022,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
The cool little feature about Zillow, is that you can click on a school on the map, and it draws a boundary around the area that the particular school serves (not sure how accurate it is, but definitely gives you a rough idea). I think that will be a great tool in our search. As far as re-assigning, it wouldn't bother us to an extent. I think it would be more of an issue if our children were constantly having to switch schools and having to start from scratch and make new friends!
I really wouldn't trust the zillow school information. Houses literally on the same street can have different assignments. I however do not subscribe to test scores rating the best schools. Wake county for better or worse does try to even it out so that no school is a failing institution. I honestly never remember my parents looking up test scores and ratings for any school I attended. That seems to be a relatively new phenomena, at least in this area.

As far as ITB (IBL?) Your realtor was right. It's a certain attitude which is conveyed by saying you live ITB. People that boasts about that are really saying they aren't contributing to sprawl,support high density housing,mass transportation and live a non cookie cutter lifestyle. The anti Cary you might say. It's a stereotype but it's often correct.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:38 AM

386 posts, read 603,939 times
Quote:
here's where you can look up the school assignments: Address Lookup and School Maps

Old 04-08-2015, 11:14 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,772,566 times
Quote:
I am going to have to do more research on the public schools around raleigh. And what makes it even more confusing, is that you go by county, and not by town. Up here in ma, a town either has good schools, or not good schools. Its something i'll have to get accustomed to.
Which is precisely why we mention it. You know those "lower taxes" everyone is flocking here for? Part of that is not having to fund individual school districts, offices, and Boards for every single little town.

The school system is Wake county public schools, whether you're in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, or any other town in Wake.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:33 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,378,934 times
Quote:
My mother lives in Hooksett, NH And honestly, that'll be the hardest part about leaving, is family. But the cost of living, weather, and general quality of life is very important.
Your daughter's taxes don't surprise me at all (especially in NH, they need to make up for the lack of sales tax!) We live in a 3 bed, 2 bath, 1900 sq ft house, no garage, and TINY backyard and we are paying around $5200 a year in taxes. I'd definitely be open to Wake Forest, just need to add that to places to stop in when I'm down this summer!
If you make a decent income you will pay in the tens of thousands in annual income taxes to the state of NC. Why people don't look at this I have no idea.

They see $3,000 in property tax vs. $10,000 yet will pay an additional $XXk+ in NC income tax when moving here plus an asinine amount of sales tax that can no longer be avoided by buying things on Amazon.

NC is great for retirees who take a hit in income but for those relocating in professional fields... it hardly makes sense financially.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Wake county for better or worse does try to even it out so that no school is a failing institution. I honestly never remember my parents looking up test scores and ratings for any school I attended. That seems to be a relatively new phenomena, at least in this area.
My parents never did either. They just happened to live in an area with "average to good" schools when they had me. But as far as the schools go up here, one town could have schools with great ratings and test scores, and the town right next door could be the complete opposite (this could be due to so many factors like bad teachers, disruptive learning environment from other kids, lack of town funding etc etc) If I had a choice to live somewhere with good schools and can afford it, its a no-brainer (if anything, its good for property value as well! Up here at least)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbctong View Post
here's where you can look up the school assignments: Address Lookup and School Maps
Perfect, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Which is precisely why we mention it. You know those "lower taxes" everyone is flocking here for? Part of that is not having to fund individual school districts, offices, and Boards for every single little town.

The school system is Wake county public schools, whether you're in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, or any other town in Wake.

And this is great! I kind of wish they adopted that same system up north. I have an elderly neighbor who complains about the high property taxes in our town, and it is mostly due to the spending on public schools. Their kids are all grown and have their own kids, but they're still paying dearly for the school system!

Old 04-08-2015, 11:48 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,523,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

No need to look. The answer is Cary or Chapel Hill or private.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If you make a decent income you will pay in the tens of thousands in annual income taxes to the state of NC. Why people don't look at this I have no idea.

They see $3,000 in property tax vs. $10,000 yet will pay an additional $XXk+ in NC income tax when moving here plus an asinine amount of sales tax that can no longer be avoided by buying things on Amazon.

NC is great for retirees who take a hit in income but for those relocating in professional fields... it hardly makes sense financially.
That is definitely something we never factored in. Honestly, even if we end up breaking even we would be happy. We are not considering moving for financial savings. It's more the quality of life we are after. Weather, people, and a nicer home are all factors. The weather alone is more of a motivator for me. If I never have to shovel 120+ inches of snow in a 2 month span ever again, I'll die happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary