Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:09 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times

Advertisements

I can't quite see the drop, but the drainage ditch that lines the front of my property is lined with RipRap. This keeps lots of things from growing, but the weeds and crabgrass do eventually poke through and need to be treated with Roundup periodically. There is also some Flox there that beautifies the area considerably in the Spring when it blooms. However, it grows quite slowly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 12:11 PM

656 posts, read 1,207,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That area doesn't look too shady. Hard to tell about the orientation. English Ivy is very invasive and it is NOT easy to keep in check. I have to pull it out of our trees all the time. It will crawl over that fence and into those woods in no time.

Azaleas will fill in completely, but slower. If you have patience you could have a beautiful bank full of color in the spring, but you might not want to wait that long. Check this older thread for some great photos of the WRAL azalea garden: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-spring.html#b

I do think some redbuds and dogwoods would be nice down there.
wow...these azalea's looks great....do they spread....to cover my full area i may need 50 of them....

Old 04-08-2015, 12:31 PM

have anyone gone to this azalea sale before, good ?

Gardeners of Wake County Azalea Sale/Plant Festival April 10 thru April 19, 2015 - Gardeners of Wake County (Raleigh, NC) - Meetup

Old 04-08-2015, 12:48 PM

beautiful flowers Azalea ?
Attached Thumbnails
large perenials flowering plants on sloppy backyard-img_1964.jpg  

Old 04-08-2015, 01:00 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
Those are camellias. Camellias are quite easy to grow and give off lots of color once a year. There are both spring and fall blooming varieties available.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:15 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Those are camellias. Camellias are quite easy to grow and give off lots of color once a year. There are both spring and fall blooming varieties available.
"Yuletide" is a good winter/early spring bloomer.. The cultivars they have available now also grow at a decent rate..

Old 04-08-2015, 02:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
azaleas do not spread. Some can get quite large depending on the variety but they do not send out shoots or multiply.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:55 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Yes, the picture you posted is of camellias. Most bloom in the cool weather (fall, winter, very early spring — too late for many varieties now).

Azaleas will fill in and get quite huge when they're old if they like where they're living. I'm far from an expert, but folks at a garden center might be able to advise you, or maybe go by the WRAL azalea gardens. I'm sure the staff there know a thing or two. The newer hybrid "Encore" azaleas rebloom into the fall.

Check out this picture I found online of a huge old azalea in Cary:

Last edited by poppydog; 04-08-2015 at 03:34 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 03:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Azaleas have a spreading form and can fill in an area nicely over many years. NC99, you may not want to wait that long, though. I imagine the picture of the giant one I posted is 25 yrs old or more.

They do root fairly easily and propagate themselves that way. I've certainly seen that happen in my own front yard and my parent's yard when a low growing limb gets covered over with fall leaves or mulch. Come spring it's sprouted its own roots.

Azalea Society of America

Quote:
Azaleas can be propagated sexually, from seed, or asexually (vegetatively) from cuttings, layers, grafts or by tissue culture.
Think of layers as cuttings which remain attached to the parent until roots have formed. Layers occur naturally in the garden when low growing plants are heavily mulched, thus partially burying some of the branches. They occur naturally in the woods when tree limbs fall and pin branches of native azaleas to the ground...
Azaleas are not a spreading ground cover though if you're looking for that, nor is a Rose of Sharon a ground cover. Azaleas will crowd out weeds better than a Rose of Sharon, though, in my limited experience with the plants in my yard.

English Ivy will crawl all over both and is a huge pain in the butt to deal with. It is all over my neighborhood up in trees all over the place. If you're looking for a vining ground cover look elsewhere. I think Vinca might be nice, but it's a bit understated and doesn't have showy flowers (very sweet little ones), so if you're looking for something with a lot of visual interest you might want to go for something taller.

JCRaulston Arboretum is having a festival event this weekend. You might get some good ideas there. Also here are some photos from last year's garden tour that could give you some ideas of what kinds of plants do well here: JC Raulston Arboretum - Garden Conservancy's Open Days

Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Azaleas have a spreading form and can fill in an area nicely over many years. NC99, you may not want to wait that long, though. I imagine the picture of the giant one I posted is 25 yrs old or more.

They do root fairly easily and propagate themselves that way. I've certainly seen that happen in my own front yard and my parent's yard when a low growing limb gets covered over with fall leaves or mulch. Come spring it's sprouted its own roots.

Azalea Society of America

Azaleas are not a spreading ground cover though if you're looking for that, nor is a Rose of Sharon a ground cover. Azaleas will crowd out weeds better than a Rose of Sharon, though, in my limited experience with the plants in my yard.

English Ivy will crawl all over both and is a huge pain in the butt to deal with. It is all over my neighborhood up in trees all over the place. If you're looking for a vining ground cover look elsewhere. I think Vinca might be nice, but it's a bit understated and doesn't have showy flowers (very sweet little ones), so if you're looking for something with a lot of visual interest you might want to go for something taller.

JCRaulston Arboretum is having a festival event this weekend. You might get some good ideas there. Also here are some photos from last year's garden tour that could give you some ideas of what kinds of plants do well here: JC Raulston Arboretum - Garden Conservancy's Open Days
great points...i am kind of leaning towards azaleas, rose of sharon and may be few others to have a variety
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary