Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 05:29 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times

Advertisements

I think this is a pretty good read for anybody with an interest in the reassignment plan debate.

Wake Co. School Board to Discuss Reassignment Plans

It includes a link to a list of comments from parents. Here is a direct link: Comments

I only scanned through some of the comments, but it was very interesting to me because while all the news coverage you ever really hear or see in the media focuses on the parents against the plan, if you read the comments linked to above you will see that mixed in with the comments complaining about the plan there are quite a few from parents actually thanking the school board for the change.

Just some food for thought for those who paint the false picture that all the parents and children affected by this proposed plan are against it.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:22 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,703 times
NRG--Just wanted to clarify that the comments posted on WRAL are just a portion of the comments received by WCPSS. To be sure, there are people who are happy with the assignment plan. I'm not disputing that. Just saying that WRAL did not print all of the responses.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:52 AM

166 posts, read 381,279 times
Default Cary talks of school secession

The saga continues

See also:
Moderator cut: url removed They have some ironically amusing videos.

(I don't know how to make this type smaller, so sorry if it is overemphasized.)
Cary talks of school secession

Spreading dissatisfaction with Wake's reassignment policies fans breakaway sentiments in the town

newsobserver.com | Cary talks of school secession (http://www.newsobserver.com/politics/story/943799.html - broken link)

> But town leaders face a burgeoning revolt from parents who hate reassignment and feel their children's needs would be better served by a separate Cary or western Wake school system. "Wake County is too large, and I'd be in support of breaking it up," said Michelle Gaddy, a Cary parent who expects to attend tonight's meeting. "It's absolutely ridiculous that the towns have no control over the schools."

Last edited by autumngal; 02-24-2008 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS

Old 02-24-2008, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,236 times
Default Wake organization

I got a flyer in my mailbox from some Wake County organization which is working to keep local schools. Is this the same one from the url that the moderater deleted? I'm glad someone is going to all the work to finally stand up for the parents' objections.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:28 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Cary's new mayor has already made it clear he does not support this and has no intention of trying to break away from WCPSS.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:35 AM

353 posts, read 996,035 times
Local mayors can't do anything about it anyway, it would take an action in the State General Assembly, which, with politics being what they are currently, will never happen.

It would take a MAJOR shift in the political make-up of the GA to bring about the kind of change deconsolidation requires. But it never hurts for parents and other concerned citizens to write to their representatives and voice their concerns and frustrations.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Actually I was at that Cary Town meeting. What Harold Weinbrecht ACTUALLY said was that it would be very EXPENSIVE for Cary to have its own school system. He would not support the formation of a committee to -again - study the issue and 'dialog' with the BOE because he observes that they have an 'entrenched philosophy', and with all the land donations, money and dialog Cary has engaged in on this topic in the past with NO response from the BOE, he 'didn't want to get the citizens hopes up.' So, the town can't help us, the BOE acquiesces to listen to us but does nothing (Rosa Gill: "they're dreaming, but we'll listen to them.") and our children being mugged in their living rooms, what choice to parents have? Sadly, legal. WakeCares got action. Maybe this will too. What a mess.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:25 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
Young kids shouldn't be affected too much with the long school rides. They should make it mandatory that they are the ones that go to school the earliest and the high schoolers go to school the latest. The little ones get up whenever you tell them to get up, and that way the high schoolers will have more time to study and sleep. They need all the sleep they can get at that age.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:30 PM

Default Long bus rides

Well, I guess you didn't hear about the scandals of inappropriate touching on the bus a couple of years ago. US Government studies show that long bus rides increase problems with anti-social behavior.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:26 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMom View Post
Well, I guess you didn't hear about the scandals of inappropriate touching on the bus a couple of years ago. US Government studies show that long bus rides increase problems with anti-social behavior.
Wow thats pretty rough. But so are over-bearing parents. It would seem almost everyone from my school would be anti-social and that is not the case. All I did was get extra sleep on the bus. As for the inappropriate touching...that could happen anywhere as well. Church/School/Home/Camp/Gymnastics/Swimming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary