Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:35 AM

7,141 posts, read 4,735,089 times

Advertisements

Oh, for goodness sakes, the hillbilly remark was just meant to be funny and bring a smile to someone's face. I didn't mean it in a derogatory way. I can see though that the typed word without a voice inflection can be misinterpreted.

The information you all have posted is very helpful, especially knowing that there were laws passed in Charlotte regarding this.

The thing that is so aggravating to me is that this lot is on a curve in the street and is a little wider than most, so the place this vehicle is parked is not visible to the owners when they look out their front window, but other homes don't have that option. They look out their front window to see a moldy tarp flapping around in the wind because it's not secured properly.

I'll be making more phone calls because no one could tell me where this information is spelled out for the public to view online or anywhere else.

Thanks for your input, all. And to those who took offense, sorry. Like I said, I was joking around.

toodie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 01:07 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
I've lived in a lot of places where parking a vehicle on an area not covered with asphalt was illegal. At least, people must park there cars in designated driveways (it wasn't a big deal for us to move a couple of cars out of the way should someone in the front of the herd wanted to leave early -- we would just plan schedules to move vehicles out based on the schedule). Abandoned vehicles not in running condition were illegal too.

If I had a choice, myself, I would prefer people park their cars in their driveway or on the street (if space allowed). The house across the way from us is nice, but the former neighbors owned three non functioning vehicles, five regular vehicles, one trash type truck, and another semi truck. Parked all in different directions wherever they could fit. It looked trashy and unsightly. Yet, the house has a fairly long driveway. But that was least used.

Now that they are out, I took a walk across the way. Environmentally speaking, I think its disgusting to see the amount of oil, anti-freeze and gasoline puddles and stains that must be cleaned up. I wonder if any of that stuff gets leached into the ground water. If so, I feel really bad for the old couple that live next door who are on well water.

I'm not one about the government telling me what to do with my land, but when it comes to a community with neighbors nearby, I try to maintain a well kept lawn (well landscape because the lawn is null and void now), shrubbery, trees void of trash, excess leaves and junk. I respect my neighbors and recognize that we do not live in a box. And, thus, the visual I keep is one seen everyday by my neighbors. I hope they do the same but, as noted, they do not always reciprocate or care to understand.

I understood what you meant, toodie, but I can see how some people might be offended (though I see a lot of people saying similar things about people in Durham, Cary, etc, too, and not in a joking fashion). Online, people interpret words differently. In real life, more people may have gotten the silly remark.

Anyway, if a law were to come into play restricting vehicles from parking on front lawns on back on to driveways, I would be up for it. I respect the belief to choose otherwise. But I'm against it, myself.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:38 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Talking Progressive, forward thinking, out of the box, proactive.....(and every other silly "buzz word" ad infinitum)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Move to Charlotte-Mecklenburg. We don't have that problem.

It is ILLEGAL and you will be fined $50 if you park even on your grass or a sidewalk. Doesn't have to be your front yard.

It is also ILLEGAL in Charlotte-Mecklenburg to have a sofa on your front porch too.

2 VERY good laws!

Wake up Raleigh and get with the times!
I for one am convinced ...... Charlotte here I come! I just quit my job, drove home, and moved the half dozen cars parked on my front lawn to clear a path to the front of the house so I could load up the old sofa nestled on my front porch, then I took down the clothesline in the backyard and headed for the Queen City!

On the other hand, my very lenient HOA does prevent all the things I just mentioned from actually happening, so I guess such drastic measures really aren't needed after all!

Come on folks! I don’t need the city of Raleigh to tell me how to live every aspect of my life. I'm an adult and can choose some things for myself without being told exactly what to do. My fellow neighbors and I have an HOA with covenants we all agree to live by. They prevent such things that could negatively impact the appearance and value of our community. We don't need the city to step in for such common sense issues. I for one am glad the city leaves a certain amount of control in the hands of its citizens. Mayor Meeker and the city council have bigger fish to fry!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:40 PM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
yes, meeker needs to be more concerned about a LOT of things other than how many cars are in a persons yard!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:41 PM

Hurray!
I just found out from the Raleigh PD that there is a right-of-way on each property that runs 8 to 10 feet from the street into one's yard. They told me these people need to put their car in their driveway, and they're going to make sure it's done. Within seven days.

I feel sorry for those neighbors who have well water you were talking about, CaliBoy. That's a disgrace with the mess those people left on the ground. They ought to have their water tested. I can just imagined what THAT looked like with cars, trucks, etc. Pretty disgusting. I can see that sort of thing going on outside of city limits in rural areas, but not in normal in-town subdivisions.

toodie

Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Yes, that's right.

I made many phone calls today about this, to the Raleigh PD, and the City of Raleigh, the city clerks's office.

There is a house down the street that parks one older car in their driveway (no garage), covered with a tarp and never driven; two other cars which are used every day are also parked in their driveway; plus, a third old car covered with a tarp which is parked in their yard near the street and property line, half on the street, half on their property.

This car which is parked on the street has its left wheels positioned on the street pavement, and its right wheels parked on the dirt of their property which is under a gigantic old Oak tree. There is no curb on the street and no sidewalk. This is in a very nice neighborhood on a street which is quite short, and is a cul-de-sac, well cared-for properties.

Trying to get this car off the street/property today after putting up with looking at it and walking past it for a year now, I was told that in a residential neighborhood, a household can park cars ON THEIR FRONT LAWN. There is NO STATUTE or ORDINANCE restricting this.

U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E.

And Raleigh pretends to be a "Progressive" area? Seems like they've got lots to learn about what that word means. Perhaps they ought to check out cities like Boston, Chicago, or even Richmond where this would not be tolerated.

I hear the twang of mountain guitars playing on a hillbilly front porch now after hearing this news.

Where am I, really? This is unacceptable.
Cars parked on front lawns are legal here?
What a crock.
Getting very fed up.

toodie
If you have a HOA, they would be the ones to contact, concerning this issue. A good reason to have a HOA, in my opinion!

Vicki

Old 01-16-2008, 01:49 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I for one am convinced ...... Charlotte here I come! I just quit my job, drove home, and moved the half dozen cars parked on my front lawn to clear a path to the front of the house so I could load up the old sofa nestled on my front porch, then I took down the clothesline in the backyard and headed for the Queen City!

On the other hand, my very lenient HOA does prevent all the things I just mentioned from actually happening, so I guess such drastic measures really aren't needed after all!

Come on folks! I don’t need the city of Raleigh to tell me how to live every aspect of my life. I'm an adult and can choose some things for myself without being told exactly what to do. My fellow neighbors and I have an HOA with covenants we all agree to live by. They prevent such things that could negatively impact the appearance and value of our community. We don't need the city to step in for such common sense issues. I for one am glad the city leaves a certain amount of control in the hands of its citizens. Mayor Meeker and the city council have bigger fish to fry!

Welcome to Charlotte! You will love it! LOL

Don't foget your fridge on the front porch either!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:00 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Hey NRG, you know I love your posts, but the reality is that not everyone is as responsible as you are nor do they have an HOA assembled, or one they can afford, in their neighborhood. I mean, it is sad that we need to have the government step in sometimes to define common sense issues (like, for an extreme example, making a common sense law making murder illegal), but we pay a lot of money thru taxes, et al, to enlist our elected officials to make wise choices for us. Whether they make wise choices is another issue, but thank GOD for election intervals.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:47 PM

I DID call my HO association first, and they told me that all they could do was send the folks a letter requesting that they move the vehicle to their driveway because HO rules don't apply to a city street. The Raleigh PD was the one who told me to call the City Clerk yesterday for further information regarding this.

Police officers are like lawyers and doctors, and most any other profession, some are better qualified and much smarter than others. I happened to get an officer on the phone today who knew what the real laws are, and am very grateful.

Anyway, it's all done with now. The PD called me back and said they drove by, checked it out, and that car doesn't have a right to be stored there. So he said it'll be gone in a few days. End of story.

You people are pretty entertaining, I must say!

toodie

Old 01-16-2008, 02:52 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I'm curious what the RPD told you the law was regarding the vehicles not being allowed to be stored there. Care to share?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary