Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times

Advertisements

If you want to be near downtown, there are still "family" neighborhoods not far from there. Of course the North Hills area and what used to be "North Raleigh" (now crassly marketed as "Midtown") between, say, North Hills and Millbrook Rd. Older homes but great lots, some are being torn down. Close to NH for shopping, but an easy drive to downtown. If you grew up off Six Forks, you'll also be very familiar with that part of town which, other than North Hills shopping center itself, hasn't changed much. That's the area I grew up in in the 70s etc and I would love to move back there someday.

You have an advantage of being from here and thus once you learn the "new stuff", you will have the basic roadmap of what's where. It's true that the folks with young kids all want the newest, freshest neighborhoods far out, most of which might not even have existed when you were here, but there are still kids in every suburb. Plus, it might be a few years before you have kids old enough to be playing with the neighbors, so you could consider getting a townhouse or something nearer downtown for now, and moving later (by which time you'd be familiar with said neighborhoods).

For your price range, you have little limitations, so it makes sense to spend some time looking before buying right away. I actually know someone who's selling a nice house in Mordecai, right near downtown, but probably a little small for a family, and I don't know about the schools in that area.

If you're willing to move in a few years once you have settled in a little, there is less stress to find that "perfect" neighborhood on the first try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 12:29 PM

342 posts, read 388,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone1980 View Post
So we have family in Heritage, and they love it. It's a beautiful neighborhood for sure and I love all of the family activities they host (I've attended quite a few with my nieces!)-- my question is, do you feel too far from Raleigh? Is it an odd feeling to be in the neighborhood without children? My perception of Wake Forest is just very skewed because I grew up around Celebration of Six Forks and man, Wake Forest just seemed SO far back then, so it's hard for me to feel like it's close now. What are your thoughts?
When I moved to this area 17 years ago, Wake Forest was way out there and there was very little shopping/dining, but not it isn't really at all. Wake Forest has a ton of shopping, restaurants and activities (especially when you include the Wakefield area as well) and North Raleigh is very close. From Heritage you can take 401 to 540 and be at Triangle Town Mall area in about 10 minutes and the airport in 25 minutes. Downtown Raleigh is 25 minutes or so as well. It depends how you want to spend your time outside of work though. But honestly, it isn't far from the things I want to do. . North Hills is probably 20 minutes or so (maybe longer in peak times). There is a bowling alley in Wake Forest, Movie theatre in wakefield, YMCA in Wakefield, lots of restaurants, big box stores (Michaels and TJMax and Sams coming soon), and access to the Neuse River Greenway from Burlington Mill road if outdoor activities are your thing.

What exactly are the things you want to be close to? What do you like to do in your free time?

As far as a great place for kids, Heritage is wonderful. Kids play outside in groups like they did when we were growing up and there is a fantastic community feel. I am really envious of my kids for getting to grow up with so many friends, etc. The schools are top notch and right around the corner.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
Here is my suggestion to help you narrow down WHERE you want to be.

Take a look at the different areas you are considering...looks like you are considering North Raleigh and Wake Forest and you can't go wrong with either North Raleigh or Wake Forest (or Apex or Holly Springs, for that matter).

See what you can get in your price range. You'll see older and newer and even brand new. You'll see n'hoods with pools and without. Sometimes it is easier to meet people around the pool. Especially when you are new to the area or coming back after a few years!

You will immediately find the areas you want to delete. Once that happens, you'll soon see the n'hoods you like and want to live in. Voila!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary