Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 10:04 AM

144 posts, read 520,473 times

Advertisements

No, seriously.
We heard noises in the attic one night. Called Critter Control. They said we had flying squirrels in the attic and that we had to have the openings in the roof line closed up, which they offered to do for $3000
My builder came and had it done yesterday, leaving one point of access for them so they are not stuck up there to die.

My problem is, Critter Control said they would put traps up there and remove them for $75 per squirrel. When I asked if they would let them go once removed, he said no, they use snap traps. I told him I did not want them killed and he said he would put a communal trap up but still charge me $75 per squirrel.

I did some research and it is not uncommon to find a community of as many as 50 of these things in one location. That's alot of $$$.

Any suggestions of who could remove them for me, for a reasonable price if not for free. The catch is, I want them released and not killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,048 times
Ace hardware sells the haveahart traps for about 35 bucks. Use peanut butter on a cracker and set it in the area you hear them coming in and out.. when you catch one drive it to a park at lest 5 miles away and let them go, keep doing it until they are all gone and then seal your attic up. I did this with regular squirrels and it took about a week before I got all of them but havent had a problem since. PS check all your electrical up there because they will chew on wires can cause a fire.....

Old 10-31-2008, 01:09 PM

76 posts, read 265,247 times
Default Squirrel

He didn't happen to have a moose friend with him did he?

Old 10-31-2008, 01:18 PM

86 posts, read 277,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard_bss View Post
He didn't happen to have a moose friend with him did he?
Ha, ha, ha!

To the OP--good luck with your critters!

Lana

Old 10-31-2008, 02:57 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,171 times
WHat i have always heard is that if squirrels are relocated from their home turf, they will just die finding their way back. I just let Critter Control use the kill traps, but don't remember paying per squirrel. It was a set fee for the traps, removal and fixing the hole. We have a million squirrels in our yard, flying and otherwise.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 8,541 times
I have been trapping them for years. They can find their way into an attic through the smallest hole. Friday I trapped 4 in one night. I just relocated another one an hour ago. I have found the best bait to use is pecans. Simply set up the live trap and sprinkle a few pecans inside. I prefer the traps with a door on both ends but a single door will work. As far as the squirrels adversion to cage traps there is none. Twice I have seen them actually fill the trap with fiberglass insulation to nest before finally tripping it.
The most important thing to remember when relocating them is that they have a strong homing instinct. Estimates vary from 5 to 10 miles but I always relocate 10 to be safe. Try to find a nice patch of woods with lots of hardwoods and few houses. They are actually rather gentle creatures but I would not try to handle them. After you drive them to a suitable location just open the trap door and enjoy the spectacle of watching them run. Hee ... hee they may be masters in the trees but they are really awkward on the ground. Sometimes a gentle tap on the cage is needed to point them in the right direction.
I recommend purchasing 2 traps so you can "collect" as many as possible at one time and thus save time and gasoline during relocation. Simply place the traps door to door open them and then tap on the wire and they will run in the opposite direction. I have had as many as six in one trap using this method.
good luck
bob

Old 12-16-2008, 09:15 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
We used to have some in our attic when I was a kid. Scared the ever livin s**t out of me, when they were running around on the ceiling in the middle of the night. My dad bought a pellet gun, and we had no more problems.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:10 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,990 times
I had a few in my attic once. I fixed the holes during the day, they tried to get in later but couldn't. Eventually they gave up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary