Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 01:03 PM

544 posts, read 852,404 times

Advertisements

A neighbor attended the Raleigh NW Citizen's Advisory Council (CAC) meeting and reported back on some development proposals

There is s re-zoning request for a new neighborhood next to Woodlawn on Leesville for 40 homes.

Across the street from the new fire station on Leesville there is a request to re-zone 7 acres for 28 homes.

And there is a request to re-zone the wooded lot on the southeast corner of Leesville and Strickland. There is already a drug store approved for the lot. The re-zone would allow for 63,000 square feet of retail, including a grocery store.

Now if they will just finishing the Leesville widening, a project that voters approved the bond for *10 years* ago, we can absorb some of that growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 01:08 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Small stuff compared to the Del Webb development on Leesville Rd (1275 homes).

Old 04-16-2015, 01:18 PM

544 posts, read 852,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Small stuff compared to the Del Webb development on Leesville Rd (1275 homes).
Good point

Old 04-16-2015, 01:58 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
I have officially lived here long enough to lament the explosive growth in my backyard. I remember when they first built the CVS on Leesville and when there were almost no houses on Leesville Road west of the Circle K.

While I'm not overly concerned about growth (due mostly to the fact that once you cross over into Durham you're going to a whole 'nother sort of school system), I am going to miss the very simple drive down Carpenter Pond Road as a backdoor way to RTP. With all the new development it's going to choke it to the point where it won't be the relaxing country drive I've come to know and love.

We've been bracing ourselves for another massive development just beyond where we live on Old Creedmoor Road. There's been a sizable parcel of undeveloped land for sale at the intersection of Old Creedmoor and Carpenter Pond Road and we just heard that it was sold.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I have officially lived here long enough to lament the explosive growth in my backyard. I remember when they first built the CVS on Leesville and when there were almost no houses on Leesville Road west of the Circle K.

While I'm not overly concerned about growth (due mostly to the fact that once you cross over into Durham you're going to a whole 'nother sort of school system), I am going to miss the very simple drive down Carpenter Pond Road as a backdoor way to RTP. With all the new development it's going to choke it to the point where it won't be the relaxing country drive I've come to know and love.

We've been bracing ourselves for another massive development just beyond where we live on Old Creedmoor Road. There's been a sizable parcel of undeveloped land for sale at the intersection of Old Creedmoor and Carpenter Pond Road and we just heard that it was sold.
I worry about these huge neighborhoods for a variety of reasons. One reason...I worry about is those buyers that purchase in phase 1. If we hit another slowdown, we'll have these neighborhoods that are full of empty lots...again.

Too much, too soon?

I also live in this area and remember the country feel of the area. It is no longer. "MY" horse farm on the corner of Strickland and Leadmine is gone.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:02 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
I'm not sure what property was actually sold, but if it's the property across from JK Ray's then I'm not surprised. It was on the market before the last real estate crash and I saw survey activity there a few months ago.
Interesting to see what happens there - the adjacent MacTavish subdivision started out as $1M and up but was scaled back after the last crash. I wouldn't call sales there brisk ...

Frank

Old 04-16-2015, 09:28 PM

715 posts, read 888,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I worry about these huge neighborhoods for a variety of reasons. One reason...I worry about is those buyers that purchase in phase 1. If we hit another slowdown, we'll have these neighborhoods that are full of empty lots...again.

Too much, too soon?

I also live in this area and remember the country feel of the area. It is no longer. "MY" horse farm on the corner of Strickland and Leadmine is gone.
Country feel...we sadly lost it and think our best days are behind us...

Old 04-16-2015, 09:41 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
There are already two drug stores at the corner of Leesville and Strickland, seriously? Also, they tore down all those woods right off Leesville Church Road to build a middle school, when Leesville Middle is less than five miles down the road.

Can this growth stop already? I like the idea of people moving into downtown Raleigh, all the trendy apartment complexes that have been recently constructed down there are pretty cool. However, I HATE sprawl going on forever. I HATE seeing the beautiful countryside of North Carolina being torn apart to make more versions of Cary. They say North Carolina, in general, is becoming more suburban and it makes me sick to my stomach. I don't think I'll ever move out of North Carolina, or too far from the Triangle, but this is seriously getting on my nerves.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:17 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
There are already two drug stores at the corner of Leesville and Strickland, seriously? Also, they tore down all those woods right off Leesville Church Road to build a middle school, when Leesville Middle is less than five miles down the road.

Can this growth stop already? I like the idea of people moving into downtown Raleigh, all the trendy apartment complexes that have been recently constructed down there are pretty cool. However, I HATE sprawl going on forever. I HATE seeing the beautiful countryside of North Carolina being torn apart to make more versions of Cary. They say North Carolina, in general, is becoming more suburban and it makes me sick to my stomach. I don't think I'll ever move out of North Carolina, or too far from the Triangle, but this is seriously getting on my nerves.
You are not alone.

NC needs to stop encouraging growth with heavy impact fees and no more road projects encouraging long commutes.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:41 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Sprawl is the reality and it's not going to stop. People continue to move here, influential people want that growth to continue, and all the growth cannot be contained within existing city footprints. The outer ring of counties (Chatham, Granville, Franklin, Johnston, Lee, Harnett) are already preparing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary