U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 09:08 PM

39,156 posts, read 67,851,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeCatcher View Post
One is on Beasley and the other closeby on Kingswood. Not sure if these are KHov or some other builder, any ideas? Looked at the deed history and it didn't suggest Khov.
New Fortis?

That is, well, WAS, KHov.

I am currently in a New Fortis home, and the original 1993 literature called it:
"New Fortis Homes, a K Hovnanian Company."
Then they just moved everything to the KHov brand.

ETA:
That house on Beasley is a knockout! You should be sure to get into it tomorrow. I also wonder how the back yard is. That is a pretty deep ravine between Beasley and Northampton.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 09:20 PM

66 posts, read 69,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
New Fortis?

That is, well, WAS, KHov.

I am currently in a New Fortis home, and the original 1993 literature called it:
"New Fortis Homes, a K Hovnanian Company."
Then they just moved everything to the KHov brand.

ETA:
That house on Beasley is a knockout! You should be sure to get into it tomorrow. I also wonder how the back yard is. That is a pretty deep ravine between Beasley and Northampton.
Excellent info! Yes "New Fortis" it is, how is your home (assuming its around the same age) holding up? Thoughts on the build quality? And yes it looks great (love the plan), and the backyard is the biggest concern, might not be much usable space

Old 04-17-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Excellent info! Yes "New Fortis" it is, how is your home (assuming its around the same age) holding up? Thoughts on the build quality? And yes it looks great (love the plan), and the backyard is the biggest concern, might not be much usable space
It is like any tract builder. It isn't built like a battleship, but it isn't terrible either. You buy them one at a time, and look at the specific house and how it was maintained and updated.
At 22 years old, we have a new roof, have replaced the Masonite with vinyl, and completely updated the kitchen and master bath. And, various etc's. At least the one you are looking at has the screen porch. We built ours.
We still have the Polybutylene, but it has not been problematic.
But this house was built before KHov went all big space for the least $$$/SF, as some of the Kings Wood houses were.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
It is like any tract builder. It isn't built like a battleship, but it isn't terrible either. You buy them one at a time, and look at the specific house and how it was maintained and updated.
At 22 years old, we have a new roof, have replaced the Masonite with vinyl, and completely updated the kitchen and master bath. And, various etc's. At least the one you are looking at has the screen porch. We built ours.
We still have the Polybutylene, but it has not been problematic.
But this house was built before KHov went all big space for the least $$$/SF, as some of the Kings Wood houses were.
So as expected for the average tract builder, good to know!
The Masonite will definitely be something to watch out.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:21 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,004,338 times
Quote:
Whats a good time to be there to gauge the train noise? It looks like the sort of thing that shouldn't be concern to us, but want to know what its like first hand.
I guess it says something about how little it bothers us that I don't really know what times the trains come through. One came through about 10:10 AM as I was writing this though.

I know Amtrak comes through around noon, 5PM, 8PM, and other times. Plenty of freight trains, but I've never paid attention enough to know if they're on a regular schedule.

Quote:
This is exactly our issue with what the neighborhood "feels" like and we don't know what to make of that. At this point all we know is that its different from what we've seen/experienced .
There isn't a neighborhood park or an HOA, neither are things we are used to (not sure if the lack of an HOA is a positive or a negative). Are there many kids in the neighborhood(s)? Where do kids play?
I've never lived anywhere with an HOA, so I don't have a good comparison, but not having one doesn't seem to have affected us negatively at all. We're on a cul-de-sac with a bunch of kids, and they all play in the yards, out in the cul-de-sac, etc. We belong to the Silverton/River Rock pool over near Evans and Cary Parkway for the summers...it's open to anyone willing to pay.

On our street at least, everyone is friendly, but it's not like a big block party atmosphere where the adults hang out together. That's frequently very dependent on a specific block vibe though, so can't really speak specifically to where you're looking. Our street is very diverse with families from over the world...very cool in some respects but in others the cultural differences mean we're not all best buddies. And that's fine with us.

Quote:
We have heard/read almost completely positive feedback about the elementary so that is no longer a real "concern" for us. Its more about the "fit" of the neighborhood and resale (given that most like these homes will list at a little over $300K).
I can't offer too much help on the resale issue, as we haven't tried to sell one here and turnover on our street since we moved in 6 years ago has been nearly non-existent. It's not something we've been particularly concerned about, even knowing we're likely to move on to something bigger at some point.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
New Fortis?
The backyard was a deal-breaker for us so we didn't make an offer. The rest of it was beautiful. Am surprised it sold in a single weekend though

Old 04-20-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
That's frequently very dependent on a specific block vibe though, so can't really speak specifically to where you're looking. Our street is very diverse with families from over the world...very cool in some respects but in others the cultural differences mean we're not all best buddies. And that's fine with us.
This was great information, and definitely the vibe we got after spending some time walking around the neighborhoods. The particular house we saw this weekend didn't work for us, but will be keeping our eyes peeled for another, we liked what we saw of the neighborhood!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
The backyard was a deal-breaker for us so we didn't make an offer. The rest of it was beautiful. Am surprised it sold in a single weekend though
I'm not at all surprised, based on photos, location, and no HOA.

Stuff is moving fast.
It is good to get that objective lesson on a house you decided you didn't really want.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I'm not at all surprised, based on photos, location, and no HOA.

Stuff is moving fast.
It is good to get that objective lesson on a house you decided you didn't really want.
That definitely is the case, its a really hot market right now.

Sadly though we already were "taught" this lesson, and not on a house we had decided against . We've lost multiple houses in our search over the last couple of months, either to a higher bid or to it going contingent while we were in the house

Old 04-20-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
That definitely is the case, its a really hot market right now.

Sadly though we already were "taught" this lesson, and not on a house we had decided against . We've lost multiple houses in our search over the last couple of months, either to a higher bid or to it going contingent while we were in the house
Yep. That is the dynamic in Cary, and much of Wake County, right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary