Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:25 PM

66 posts, read 77,342 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a couple of homes in the Kingswood subdivision (near Harrison and Chapell Hill Road) and we aren't familiar with the area at all.

Things we liked so far are the location, shopping close by, lots of mature and green trees. Our concerns mainly center around the schools, train noise (which we are trying to gauge), older homes/neighborhoods and the "perceived desirability" of the area when its time to sell.

I dug through old threads and couldn't find much information besides discussions about the elementary school (which were quite helpful). Would love to hear opinions, thoughts or concerns that anyone familiar with the area would care to share
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 03:01 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,839 times
Well, that area is definitely a lower income area. That's why the elementary school it is zoned to, Kingswood Elementary, is a magnet school. We actually applied to that magnet for my son. It was my second choice for him and he got in and will be attending next year. From what I can tell it's a really great school. I've visted twice and spoken to a couple teachers and the principal. I don't know what schools would be zoned for middle/high school.

As for resale value, I think everything is on an uptrend, especially in Cary. I wouldn't hesitate to buy there if it was in my budget and I liked the house.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Well, that area is definitely a lower income area. That's why the elementary school it is zoned to, Kingswood Elementary, is a magnet school. We actually applied to that magnet for my son. It was my second choice for him and he got in and will be attending next year. From what I can tell it's a really great school. I've visted twice and spoken to a couple teachers and the principal. I don't know what schools would be zoned for middle/high school.

As for resale value, I think everything is on an uptrend, especially in Cary. I wouldn't hesitate to buy there if it was in my budget and I liked the house.
Thanks for the info. As far as schools go the elementary school is our primary concern (who knows what will happen by the time we have to concern ourselves with middle and high-school going kids ), and most reviews had positive things to say about the school. So that has helped ease some of our concerns in that regard.

It just feels (and almost certainly is) so different from the rest of the subdivisions in Cary (and NW Raleigh) that our search for a home has taken us so far, that we really do not know what to make of the neighborhood and surrounding areas.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:15 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Specifically looking around Kingswood Drive? Don't think there are many for sale right around there. We're very close to there, near Reedy Creek and Maynard. Can't beat the location...easy access to 40 gets you anywhere you want to be quickly. Downtown Cary, good shopping centers, etc. all close by.

Train noise isn't an issue for us. We're closest to the Maynard crossing...do get plenty of trains through there, but they don't bother us.

The whole Kingswood area is quite a hodgepodge. You do have a lot of apartment complexes and rental duplexes that make for a more transient resident base on the whole. But the single family home neighborhoods, while small are pleasant and fairly wooded. Homes generally smaller/cheaper/older than you'll find in much of the rest of Cary, though there are some pockets of newer homes in the area.

The elementary school has a fabulous staff, but does face some challenges with socioeconomics and language issues due to mix of residents. New magnet status this year seems to be providing some stability and increased parental involvement, so that's good. We are, however, concerned about Reedy Creek Middle and will be our weighing our options as our kids get close to moving on to middle school.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:29 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
We rented on Brunswick Ct. for a year when we moved to town in '97. We tried to buy the rental, but the LL wasn't ready to sell.
Then over to SFspiderman's neighborhood for a few years.

Extremely convenient location, and we may have stayed if Harrison Square Shopping Center had been built quicker.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Specifically looking around Kingswood Drive? Don't think there are many for sale right around there. We're very close to there, near Reedy Creek and Maynard. Can't beat the location...easy access to 40 gets you anywhere you want to be quickly. Downtown Cary, good shopping centers, etc. all close by.

Train noise isn't an issue for us. We're closest to the Maynard crossing...do get plenty of trains through there, but they don't bother us.

The whole Kingswood area is quite a hodgepodge. You do have a lot of apartment complexes and rental duplexes that make for a more transient resident base on the whole. But the single family home neighborhoods, while small are pleasant and fairly wooded. Homes generally smaller/cheaper/older than you'll find in much of the rest of Cary, though there are some pockets of newer homes in the area.

The elementary school has a fabulous staff, but does face some challenges with socioeconomics and language issues due to mix of residents. New magnet status this year seems to be providing some stability and increased parental involvement, so that's good. We are, however, concerned about Reedy Creek Middle and will be our weighing our options as our kids get close to moving on to middle school.
I didn't realize how close you live to me.

My younger two attended RCES (one started there in 4th grade, the other in 1st), then RCMS. One did all 3 years there, the other just 6th before we moved. She's at WCMS now.

My son had no issues and did well at RCMS. My daughter didn't like it.

It likely depends on the kid.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Yup off kingswood, there are a couple that are about to hit the market soon, in the next couple of weeks.

Quote:
Whats a good time to be there to gauge the train noise? It looks like the sort of thing that shouldn't be concern to us, but want to know what its like first hand.

Quote:

This is exactly our issue with what the neighborhood "feels" like and we don't know what to make of that. At this point all we know is that its different from what we've seen/experienced .
There isn't a neighborhood park or an HOA, neither are things we are used to (not sure if the lack of an HOA is a positive or a negative). Are there many kids in the neighborhood(s)? Where do kids play?

We have heard/read almost completely positive feedback about the elementary so that is no longer a real "concern" for us. Its more about the "fit" of the neighborhood and resale (given that most like these homes will list at a little over $300K).

Thank you for replying, was hoping that you would, some of your past posts were also helpful!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We rented on Brunswick Ct. for a year when we moved to town in '97. We tried to buy the rental, but the LL wasn't ready to sell.
Then over to SFspiderman's neighborhood for a few years.

Extremely convenient location, and we may have stayed if Harrison Square Shopping Center had been built quicker.
Thanks for the info Mike (your posts on CD as well as blog posts are always very informative!)
Any thoughts on resale, especially at a price point a little above 300K? (which is what most likely the homes will list at, they are built in the 90s).

Old 04-17-2015, 07:57 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeCatcher View Post
Thanks for the info Mike (your posts on CD as well as blog posts are always very informative!)
Any thoughts on resale, especially at a price point a little above 300K? (which is what most likely the homes will list at, they are built in the 90s).
I wouldn't worry about resale.
The absence of HOA is turning into a selling feature. There are plenty of people who prefer not to have one.

If you are looking at the KHov houses, they have some attractive floor plans.
If you are looking at the Westminster houses (KHov Lite), they also have some nice plans. But, with Masonite siding, I would look for obvious excellent maintenance.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I wouldn't worry about resale.
The absence of HOA is turning into a selling feature. There are plenty of people who prefer not to have one.

If you are looking at the KHov houses, they have some attractive floor plans.
If you are looking at the Westminster houses (KHov Lite), they also have some nice plans. But, with Masonite siding, I would look for obvious excellent maintenance.
One is on Beasley and the other closeby on Kingswood. Not sure if these are KHov or some other builder, any ideas? Looked at the deed history and it didn't suggest Khov.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary