Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 05:16 AM

580 posts, read 709,868 times

Advertisements

Our school is having one more informational session this week that I will go to.
My first question is how do they make sure there is no theft- lock the classrooms when kids are not there?
In the WCPSS paperwork, they bring up over and over how they are not liable for theft or damage, etc.
So if the teacher forgets to lock the door- then who is liable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 06:41 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,020,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
Our school is having one more informational session this week that I will go to.
My first question is how do they make sure there is no theft- lock the classrooms when kids are not there?
In the WCPSS paperwork, they bring up over and over how they are not liable for theft or damage, etc.
So if the teacher forgets to lock the door- then who is liable?
I'm guessing only the owner is liable. Which is why I say don't send a $$ tablet with them . Get a cheap one that won't break the bank if replaced. I would guess maybe a possible lock box that they could all me stored in. Doesn't all Apple devices have a locator on them if stolen?

Old 04-21-2015, 06:53 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,261,299 times
Orange County provides laptops for all their students I believe. They take them home for homework too. I think I remember reading about chatham county working toward this too, maybe working from high school down? In CHCCS the schools have computers and iPads, but not necessarily one for every child in the school and the kids don't take them home . They've gone to using iPads in the library for portable access to the catalog, btw.

ETA: Orange County Schools provides 1:1 laptops starting in 3rd grade: http://www.orange.k12.nc.us/1to1/1_to_1.html . I have no problem with technology in the classroom and think this is great. I also think that the schools should provide them. This is the kind of thing that PTAs raise money for. As a middle income parent I have absolutely no problem stepping up and giving extra for the families that can't afford to contribute. I do this all the time as I'm sure most of yall do for things like field trips etc. I usually try to give a little extra and if it's an expensive field trip, like the 5th grade beach trip, I'll kick in double or triple. I'm happy to contribute to a technology fund too so every kid has equal access to technology.

Last edited by poppydog; 04-21-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 07:09 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,418,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That's what's so tough about BYOD in younger grades. It takes time for kids to learn how to care for and transport costly electronic devices.

My kids got cell phones early. Then, the younger two got iPod Touch devices. Then, handed down iPhones (my eldest was 17 when the first iPhone was released. He bought his own. Still has it stored away. He's a collector.)

My younger two got handed down iPhones in 2010 when they were 10 and 13.

They're 14 and 17 now, and my 14yo also has a handed down iPad and a MacBook Air that she paid half for in order to get it. My 17yo has his iPhone (both kids have the 5s) and a Windows laptop he bought himself last year.

Of all 3 of mine, the only one to wreck an iPhone so far is my 17yo. He dropped his 5C in the toilet (it was flushed already...LOL). He bought himself a new 5s at full price. Kid is a big time saver of money so he had it to pay.

We're really gadget-y around here, so they've grown up learning to be careful with their devices.

They also know they'll have to pay for a new device or the AppleCare+ fee if they damage one.

It's tough, though. Some kids (and adults) are much more prone to accidents and incidents than others and these devices are not cheap.

If the schools are insisting on them, they should be supplying them.
Not to change the thought of the thread, but GOOD FOR YOU in making your kids responsible for their own possessions at a young age! I promise it is the BEST thing for them and college will be quite an eye opener to them when they dorm with kids whose parents have done EVERYTHING for them and then sent them off to college UNprepared. I could write several best sellers on all that my now 23 yr old has come and shared with me about what goes on in college dorms. He was 'Mr. Goto' by pretty much a whole 7 story dorm because he could think critically and had to budget his own money, etc. It's refreshing to see other parents preparing their kids to go out and live independently!

Old 04-21-2015, 09:18 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,763,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
My dd's middle school is piloting it, and I hate it. We got an e-mail from one of the teachers asking parents to remind their kids not to text, watch videos, etc. on their device. Um...you allow the devices in the school - you enforce the rules. I'm not there and I didn't make the rule that they needed to bring one.
Thanks for reminding us why it's so tough to be a teacher these days--parents refuse to teach their kids anything related to behavior and say "it's the teachers' job!" Do you think this specific teacher actually created the rule that they have to have these devices? Likely not; I'm sure it was a school or grade decision. Simply saying "please remind your child not to waste class time playing" is no different than expecting parents to teach their kids not to talk during movies or to say Please and Thank you--NOT the teacher's job, and something the teachers cannot enforce if it is not reinforced at home. No wonder teachers are leaving the profession, quite aside from the pay issues.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:37 PM

686 posts, read 1,762,914 times
I am curious, do the schools require minimum/certain size and capabilities for the devices?

Old 04-21-2015, 05:51 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,203,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
Books at the third grade level aren't very expensive, and often aren't even required for learning (reading lessons can be handed out on a few pages at a time by an instructor, they aren't reading hundreds of pages at a time).

Best of all, textbooks do not shatter when dropped, do not consume electricity, and can be handed to the next student the next year in most cases, unlike tech devices which are often quickly rendered obsolete in a relatively short period of time.

I couldn't disagree more! Books for third graders are expensive and reading lessons are not handed out a few pages at a time-which also adds up to a lot of copies-something teachers often DON'T have access to!

When I taught third grade, each reading group (and I had 5 or 6 groups of 5 or 6 kids each) read 1-2 stories/books week. That is 25-36 books a week at different levels for the different groups. Many of the books I bought in small sets of 5 or 6 copies. It IS expensive. They are not reading hundreds of pages at a time, but small trade books by the group do get costly. I'd like to know where books are not required for reading. they are pretty necessary when teaching young children the basics of reading.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Many of the books I bought in small sets of 5 or 6 copies.
That would be an advantage of a device — reading a book online and saving teachers buying books. Did you have to do that often, goodbyesnow? I know in my daughter's school the library has many sets of books for book clubs, readers theaters, and reading groups. I volunteer in the library so am maybe more familiar with them than most parents.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:27 PM

304 posts, read 368,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I couldn't disagree more! Books for third graders are expensive and reading lessons are not handed out a few pages at a time-which also adds up to a lot of copies-something teachers often DON'T have access to!

When I taught third grade, each reading group (and I had 5 or 6 groups of 5 or 6 kids each) read 1-2 stories/books week. That is 25-36 books a week at different levels for the different groups. Many of the books I bought in small sets of 5 or 6 copies. It IS expensive. They are not reading hundreds of pages at a time, but small trade books by the group do get costly. I'd like to know where books are not required for reading. they are pretty necessary when teaching young children the basics of reading.

I guess methods have changed since I was in third grade. Back then, we didn't necessarily need a copy of an entire book for every student in the class for every story we read, stories and lessons were often on photocopied handouts. We did have textbooks, but they were used for many years at a time, so when divided by the number of total students that used each book for a year of learning, they were pretty much cheap as dirt. We did have to do book reports and such, but they were checked out from the school library (for the most part a different book for each student), most of them probably donated.

Even still, I think you're focusing on only one aspect of my point. With tablets, you have a device that costs many times the cost of books, yet in itself has no content -- someone still has to buy the eBook or content, which although is cheaper than handing out unique printed versions, it's not like they are one tenth of the price of a printed book. Are you saying that with books, the teacher must purchase the books out of their own pocket for every child without re-using them from year to year, whereas with e-books there is a cost savings because the cost is passed on to the parent instead? If that's what you meant, there is still is not a total cost savings because to the best of my knowledge eBook licenses cannot be transferred to the next group of students the following year.

And, as I said before, at the end of the day you don't have to worry about bullies knocking iPads out of kids hands and shattering them (or the humbling realization that these devices are only as durable as a responsible adult can care for them, and were never designed to hold up to the abuse a child can dole out), you don't have to worry about someone breaking a window to steal the books, you don't have to use electricity to charge the books so that they can be read, the books don't become obsolete in a few years, lithium ion batteries do not degrade to the point of being useless with books, you don't have to worry about text messages and games getting in the way of learning with books, etc. the list goes on...

Old 04-21-2015, 08:46 PM

They definitely don't photocopy reading materials in my kid's classes. They do print out math worksheets, but not reading.

A tablet or laptop is so much more versatile than a single book, though. It's like having a library right there in each kid's hands, y'know? Google has a great educational suite. My kids do research, share docs with classmates and their teachers. I was volunteering in the library today when the 2nd graders came in to do research on their bug unit. They use some reference books, but mostly it's all done on laptops and iPads with the google doc shared with their teacher, just like you might do at work.

Last edited by poppydog; 04-21-2015 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary