Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 11:59 AM

12 posts, read 10,936 times

Advertisements

So we have a detached garage / carriage house on our 1/4 acre lot. It was built in the 1920's (we think). We have an issue with water intrusion / minor flooding. The concrete floor is sub-grade by probably 6-12 inches and is has a cinder block foundation a few blocks deep.

We know some of the water is coming from yard drainage - the driveway is sloped to direct water to a pipe that traverses underground next to the carriage house and empties on another lot - but it doesn't do the job well (even after it was cleaned out a year or so ago) and with heavy rains we wind up with a pool that goes up over a lip, and under the garage door (has an inch or so gap). There is also intrusion from where the floor meets the wall and the concrete is damp almost all the way around the building perimeter (interior), and algae is growingn on the exterior areas. There are no gutters on the roof. We could probably fix some of the problem through gutters to keep water from pooling, and maybe some sealing and grading, but it also looks like there could be some cracks, and I am unsure how to handle the drain pipe issue. We are also seeing water damage on window frames and are not sure how much water may be from leaky windows. So in short we need help!

I said all that to say this!
My questions are:
1) should I be calling a home inspector OR a waterproofing contractor to tell us what all the problems are, and solutions? I suspect the benefit of a home inspector is you might be less likely to be ripped off by someone who wants a job from a clueless homeowner (me!), and maybe because we can identify the tasks we can do ourselves then call the experts for the tough stuff. Or is there another expert I'm not thinking of?

2) recommendations on either an inspector who could give us the information we need, or a waterproofing contractor?

The joys of owning a historic home!! Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:09 PM

I might add I'm looking for suggestions of folks in the Triangle. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2015, 01:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickingAUserNameIsHard View Post
1) should I be calling a home inspector OR a waterproofing contractor to tell us what all the problems are, and solutions?
Neither. Sounds like you need someone to address grading and drainage issues.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Neither. Sounds like you need someone to address grading and drainage issues.
Who specializes in this? I have no idea where to start!

Old 04-21-2015, 03:55 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
start with what town/city your home is in. Gutters and grading should do most everything you need - based upon your details to date

Old 04-22-2015, 05:40 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Honestly a regular home inspector would be waste. They are there to point out flaws in the home and yours are apparent. It does sound like grading is the issue. It much easier to direct water away rather than stop it getting in. Some waterproofing contractors, by the nature of the work will have equipment that can take care of it so I would start with them and ask.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:29 AM

53 posts, read 67,335 times
We used Shamrock Waterproofing for water and grading issues in Raleigh. They were great. Keith Locker 919-795-4381
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary