Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:59 AM
VSB VSB started this thread

170 posts, read 798,259 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

The good news:

We are relocating in April, as I start work the second week of April.

The disappointing news:

It appears that there are no longer any nonstop flight offerings between RDU and any California cities. According to RDU's own information about nonstop flights (http://www.rdu.com/airlineflightinfo/destinations.htm - broken link), the furthest west one can go nonstop is Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver, and Salt Lake City.

I'm surprised that the demand isn't there to support a nonstop flight. In fact, Delta started a nonstop flight last June and dropped it as of last week. Apparently, RDU officials are working on getting another airline to start service. My vote would be for Southwest. Though one article cites "fuel costs" as the reason for dropping the route, the more plausible explanation has to be lack of demand. The effects of fuel costs should be lessened on longer haul flights, I would guess (again, this is a guess).

In addition, with only one airline serving a nonstop route, prices for those routes are likely to be on the high side.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I went to college in San Diego and as it turns out, just about all of my friends from college and graduate school have landed in the LA area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 07:08 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,083 times
How about flying to Greensboro on Skybus (http://www.skybus.com/ - broken link)

Old 01-17-2008, 07:36 AM

Default Skybus

Have you every flown Skybus?

I like what they're doing. I LOVE Burbank's airport (it looks like a small, drive right up to the gate, crappy kind of building and the luggage carousel is outdoors, but after flying and flying and flying, you realize that what's most important is speed).

How is the space on their planes?

HOWEVER, Skybus doesn't fly from RDU to Greensboro, just from Greensboro to Burbank. They also don't get you to any other west coast destination nonstop from Greensboro though LA is the most important as far as I am concerned.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Default Perspective is everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSB View Post
"HOWEVER, Skybus doesn't fly from RDU to Greensboro, just from Greensboro to Burbank."
So I'm telling my wife that I think we should try Skybus when traveling to the Boston area in May. She says that she's not crazy about the long drive to Greensboro from Raleigh.....

As someone who spent the past two decades flying in to and out of virtually all of the New York City airports I had to chuckle. On a good morning it took me 45 minutes to drive to La Guardia or JFK and 75 minutes to Newark International. And that was assuming I was out of the house before 5:00 AM.

Honestly, is driving an hour or so to Greensboro really an issue, particularly when you consider how easy of a drive it is? I'm thrilled to have Skybus as an option even if they don't fly out of RDU.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:52 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
I usually check fares at GSO, and if I could save $75+ and still have decent routing, I'd fly out of there over RDU. Generally, though, GSO has less routes and fares are about the same. With Skybus, though, things might change.

The drive to GSO doesn't seem like a big deal to me either. However, when we lived in Flagstaff, we had to drive 2 hours to the airport in PHX down a twisty steep interstate, so Raleigh to GSO seems like a piece of cake in comparison.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 AM

271 posts, read 700,693 times
THis might sound Silly but I love Jet Blue. When I fly to Las Vegas. I take a Connecting Flight. RDU to JFK to LAS

Jet Blue Files to Burbank, San Diego

Old 01-17-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Honestly, is driving an hour or so to Greensboro really an issue, particularly when you consider how easy of a drive it is? I'm thrilled to have Skybus as an option even if they don't fly out of RDU.
No, you're right, the drive isn't THAT big of a deal. We used to live in Charlottesville, and I always preferred driving the 90 minutes to Dulles (IAD) instead of taking a puddle jumper out of Charlottesville. Besides, Dulles has a very slow economy lot shuttle service and that annoying, antiquated trolley system to their gates (is that train up and running yet?).

Now we have an 8 month old and if everything goes well, we'll have a second in another 24-36 months. My priority will be reducing layovers and stops. Anything to shorten the trip. I suppose there's two sides to this coin (i.e. kids gets bored being on super-long flights and stops might provide a diversion though they then need to re-board for the next potentially tortuous leg versus just getting there and getting done).

Re: JETBLUE.

I love JetBlue too, but I'd rather drive to Greensboro and fly nonstop than lengthen my day by flying north only to stop in Newark or some other place.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 AM

Default One more thing . . .

I just find it odd that Greensboro is the destination that Skybus chose.

Skybus MUST be assuming that they'll lure some of the RDU market to fill those westbound flights.

As far as I can tell, the RDU metro area has at least 600,000+ folks (OK, 1.3 MILLION and growing). Ultimately, that growth will force airlines to offer direct west-coast routes. Greensboro, meanwhile, has something on the order of 500,000+ (OK, 1.0 MILLION and growing) folks.

However, I would guess that since Raleigh is the seat of NC government and the home to RTP, there would be many more coast-to-coast travelers in the RDU market than in Greensboro. The cost savings of running an airline out of Greensboro must be substantial. I read that RDU spent $150,000 in marketing on Delta's behalf when they launched their short-lived nonstop RDU-LAX route.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by VSB; 01-17-2008 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: WRONG POPULATION FIGURES

Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
You can double your population estimates for both RDU and GSO markets...more like 1.3 million and 1 million in the respective metro areas. I'm guessing the Delta route that was just dropped from RDU to LAX would've been a deterrant for Skybus, too. However, I would imagine it is cheaper for Skybus to operate out of GSO than RDU, too.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 AM

Default Population

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
You can double your population estimates for both RDU and GSO markets...more like 1.3 million and 1 million in the respective metro areas. I'm guessing the Delta route that was just dropped from RDU to LAX would've been a deterrant for Skybus, too. However, I would imagine it is cheaper for Skybus to operate out of GSO than RDU, too.
That's interesting. I was just reading a Forbes article about Raleigh job growth (written in May 2004) that estimated Raleigh's population as 1.3 million. I had just added the Chapel Hill, Durham, Cary and Raleigh population figures from City-Data's 2000 census numbers (as opposed to using the projections).

That raises an interesting question. How many (east coast) cities with a metro area population > 1 million LACK nonstop flights to the west coast (California primarily, Washington, Oregon)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary