Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:44 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
FWIW my father is also a custom builder in the luxury market of North Raleigh and has been for over 20 years (has built many of the homes in neighborhoods like Devon & Bay Leaf Farms) so I have a little more insight than your condescending tone implies you believe.

Are you honestly going to suggest that the real estate market in Wake County does not have fewer starter homes now than it did before the housing bubble? I don't think a tenured realtor in this area could say that in good conscience.

Again; it's not necessarily a "bad" thing that Wake as more high-end homes than "starter" homes now....but it is a reality. Hyperbolized by N&O or not....it's a trend; not one unique to this area at all but most definitely present here.
Are we talking about North Raleigh or Wake County? I'd like to see some hard figures, as I have to think that there are still plenty of starter homes available in Knightdale, Wendell, Zebulon, etc., in addition to Garner (where I know there are plenty).

Old 04-27-2015, 08:50 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokijoo View Post
See my other posts in thread about taking charge of your career.
So just to be clear, you're claiming that for everyone in the United States who hasn't seen their inflation-adjusted salary go up in the last 22 years -- enough people so that the average for the entire country has remained flat for thirty years -- that's simply due to laziness?

Old 04-27-2015, 09:10 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokijoo View Post
That's a subject in itself, have you considered creating a thread to discuss it in the appropriate topic?
Actually you are the one who took a housing-cost thread and is trying to turn it into a "You are a doormat if you don't take charge of your own career" thread. Don't complain about a thread tangent off your own tangent--BOTH should be a separate thread from the original, which is about affordable housing in the area (though you would never know any of this from the thread title).

Old 04-27-2015, 09:29 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Yeah and interest rates were more like 7-8% in 1993, where is this 12% science fiction number? You're holding me to 1993 prices but giving yourself the freedom to use whatever interest rate you want?

Look back at the interest rate in 1990

Old 04-27-2015, 09:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
While housing and the ability to afford it are linked, let's stick to housing and not blame people for having salaries that cannot afford a home of a given price. We all know that people buy houses with money other than salaries from work.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:58 AM

248 posts, read 494,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Actually you are the one who took a housing-cost thread and is trying to turn it into a "You are a doormat if you don't take charge of your own career" thread. Don't complain about a thread tangent off your own tangent--BOTH should be a separate thread from the original, which is about affordable housing in the area (though you would never know any of this from the thread title).
No, my point started with post #28 and others took it where it ended up. My point is that local annual housing cost increases are only going to outrun income to those who allow it to. As I pointed out in another post, the economy shifts with supply and demand that is created by us. If a city gets so expensive that blue collar workers can't afford to live close enough to come to work, the city ceases to be functional. And likewise if we allow our income to continually fall below housing cost increases, it is because we allowed it to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary