Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 08:31 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know of any local businesses that will scan and digitize old family photo albums? I've got several old photo albums and multiple family members interested in them so I thought putting them onto a CD/DVD or online for download would be the best way to make sure everybody gets what they wanted. So, anybody know of anybody in the area, especially in Durham or Chapel Hill that would do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 09:15 PM

153 posts, read 194,562 times
Photo scanners are common home electronics these days, usually part of a combination printer/scanner/copier. If you do not have one, chances are one of your neighbors does. They are not that expensive these days.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:23 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SeanWalker- View Post
Photo scanners are common home electronics these days, usually part of a combination printer/scanner/copier. If you do not have one, chances are one of your neighbors does. They are not that expensive these days.
That can be very time consuming when there's a large quantity of photos to scan. Sometimes it's worth the expense to take the photos someplace with equipment that has automated scanning capabilities.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:32 PM

153 posts, read 194,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That can be very time consuming when there's a large quantity of photos to scan. Sometimes it's worth the expense to take the photos someplace with equipment that has automated scanning capabilities.
Yeah, I guess that is true.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:23 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Exactly. I have a scanner and know how to use one. The volume of photographs we're talking about would be prohibitive for me to do on my own (literally 50+ years of photos in multiple albums), which is why I specifically asked for services/businesses that'd take care of it for me. So...anybody have any suggestions?

Old 04-27-2015, 06:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
A few years ago I had all the photos in my photo albums scanned - about 3,000 photos total. I used ScanMyPhotos.com - not a local service, but they did a fine job. They had a Groupon deal at the time, so the cost ended up being very reasonable. One drawback was that all photos had to be the same size. Thankfully 95% of mine were, but with 50 years of photos I can imagine you've got more variety.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:49 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Similarly, I used DigMyPics out in Arizona and was very happy. Saved a bunch of time and was worth the cost.

There may be local companies doing this; in Orlando, for instance, my stepsister-in-law has a "digital organizing" business that includes photos. You might search for that term to see if anyone in the RTP area is doing that work.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:51 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I have no experience with Flicko's, but they have been in Cary for years.

Photos / Slides / Neg - Flicko's Video Services

Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 AM

6 posts, read 4,245 times
We used Home Video Studio in downtown Apex for several albums of ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary