Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 653 times

Advertisements

I know that there are tons of realtors around and have talked with several, but I have yet to find one that really meets what I am looking for. I'm looking for a realtor that can really help us figure out what area would be best for us and also be knowledgeable with the various schools. The realtors that I have spoken with have not really offered me anything that I am not able to do myself by running a database search. Therefore, I thought I would get some community input. I am a mom to 3 and currently live in Knightdale. I have truly loved living in Knightdale and watching the city grow. We have been very pleased with our Elementary school (Lake Myra). However, we had a 3rd child last year and have run out of room in our house. My oldest is also going off to Middle School and we are not happy with our current option. Schools are very important in our search. My husband technically works remote for his company, but rents office space out in Zebulon. He is not tied to this location long-term, but it works for the time being. He does occasionally have to travel for work and most of the time that is headed towards the Triad. We are looking around $250k for a house. We are not really interested in walking out our back door and waving to our neighbor. We are leaning towards Wake Forest/Rolesville or even Clayton. Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:08 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Hmmm, interesting.

With the advent of the internet, it is indeed true that if you're using the correct website, you can see all the same houses for sale and under contract as we do. If you've got a subscription to the right site, it'll even provide the sold information. Note, there are multiple "right sites", not just one.

The Realtor's job is not to "find" the right house for you, but to help you find the right house for you (since you'll be living in it, not them. You have to be happy, not me).

As for schools, I consider myself an expert on the schools my children attend. I'd say that have "expertise" in all of the schools that my clients' children attend, because I can get their honest feedback on those schools. I'd also say that I have more expertise in looking at schools for their real evaluation beyond what "great schools" can tell you. And what I'd point out most of all is that there are about 120 elementary schools, 40 of which are probably fantastic, 40 more which are perfectly acceptable, and 40 more which need help. I'd also point out that don't buy a house in the Triangle - IN YOUR PRICE RANGE AND SIZE NEED - based upon the school. Because you'll be buying in a region that has higher growth and the need to build new schools and reassign families. You might be at your school for 2 years, 5 years, or 20 years. But there's about as much guarantee of school assignment as there is career employment at IBM.

lastly, on schools - we are going to present you with the information ... whether you have or can find it yourself ... and let you decide. Because if I tell a client "you can't miss going to that school!" and either the asssignment, the principal, heck the PTA leadership changes - who ya gonna blame? Yourself, or me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary