Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:39 AM

204 posts, read 383,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
[/b]
I'm not. Garner Police are famous for doing that along Aversboro and the section of Timber. Both are 35mph. My mother freaks out if we don't slow all the way down to a crawl through there!

Holly Springs PD on Sunset Lake, Holly Springs Rd. and Main Street. Also primarily 35mph.
Yeah, I was clipped on Sunset Lake heading down to Broadwells for some plants at 7:30 in the morning! I was doing 42 in a 35. I just paid it and went on with my life.

I would like to say it is unfair, but for all intents and purposes I was exceeding the speed limit by 7.

What was odd is that it was two motorcycle cops and they flanked my car. I know that is likely standard police procedure, but it was unsettling to say the least.

It started out as such good day, windows down, grateful dead on the radio, sun was shining, then boom - blue lights!

Good luck, OP. I wouldn't stress out about it at all. Maybe try to go see the magistrate early to see if they can toss it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 06:45 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
From this - http://www.ncdoi.com/_Publications/C...rance_CAU1.pdf - it looks like it will be 1 point.
It also says this:

"Special Exemptions – NO SDIP
POINTS WILL BE CHARGED FOR:

Speeding 10 mph or less over the posted
speed limit; provided all of the following
are true:

The violation did not occur in a school
zone; and
There is not another moving traffic
violation for the experience period
(an isolated Prayer for Judgement
Continued [PJC] will not count as a
prior conviction for the purpose of this
exception)."

The OP indicated he had no other moving violations, and did not indicate it occurred in a school zone.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 AM

48 posts, read 66,395 times
If there are points at risk, have your speedometer calibrated. There are places that will do that. It may show that your speedometer is low by 2-3 mph. If so, bring the results to court. If the judge thinks you got a ticket for driving what you thought was 2 miles over the limit, he may toss it.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:55 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
In Wake county they will not do the improper equipment thing so no use in doing that if that's where the OP was ticketed. Also, from experience, your speedometer likely overestimates your speed by 5-10% if it is wrong, so it's probably not going to help.

I am pretty sure the 5 over will not count against your insurance as carolinadawg2 pointed out so this is one time you are probably best just paying it. You can definitely go to court and talk to the Assistant DA on the day and see if they will be willing to work with you, but usually people are looking to get a ticket of say 10-15 over dropped to under 10 so I'm not sure what they can do. You could use a prayer for judgement, but that would essentially be wasting it for three years since your insurance won't go up for this.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
same thing happened to my daughter earlier in the fall on New Bern Ave, 40 in a 35. She went to court and it was reduced and tossed but still had to pay court costs.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:53 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Biggs View Post
If there are points at risk, have your speedometer calibrated. There are places that will do that. It may show that your speedometer is low by 2-3 mph. If so, bring the results to court. If the judge thinks you got a ticket for driving what you thought was 2 miles over the limit, he may toss it.
Yeah that's an urban legend at this point. Won't happen and the mechanic will laugh at you if you ask. Been there ,tried that.

I just got a ticket a couple weeks ago (they are in full force downtown Raleigh). Officer clocked me at 47 in a 35. Wrote my ticket for 43 . They aren't worried about points or fines,they just want the cost of court which is over $200 now. Cha Ching. Irks me because I was coming up Hammond which is 45 into Raleigh and was down to 35 by the time I hit south park. Unfortunately they had someone hiding in the bushes where it switches to 35 on your way down the hill.Just felt like a cheap shot for a ticket.

I agree about Timber. It goes from 45-35 without much reason and they will pull you going 5 miles over. I'll often go down Benson Rd and turn up Timber just to avoid driving that stretch.

Oh last but not least. If your poor like me and have time to fight it. It's worth a shot. I've had several tickets dropped in the past because the cop not showing or on vacation etc... remember it's not so much the fine as the cost of court for minor infractions.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:36 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
It's a crying shame that you still pay full court cost if you plead guilty and send in the fine without an appearance.

Complete ripoff.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:00 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,380 times
There Is Always SO much misinformation in these speeding ticket threads. I hate to say it, but search the forum. People with REAL experience have posted up good suggestions, not people who speak about what they read on the Internet, or offer the same bad advice they took from people before (like paying the ticket...NEVER just pay the ticket).

Cliff notes:

5 over is embarrassing. If you don't want to hire a lawyer (who likely would have it dismissed and you won't have to do a thing but write a check), go to court, there will be a line of folks there. Get in line, when you get to the front they will review your paperwork, and likely dismiss + court costs. 5 over is a joke.

It's all about revenue. Revenue for the lawyers and for the county. As long as everyone gets their money, you can get away with some pretty wild stuff on the road. Not advocating, just stating facts.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:52 AM

48 posts, read 66,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Yeah that's an urban legend at this point. Won't happen and the mechanic will laugh at you if you ask. Been there ,tried that.

I just got a ticket a couple weeks ago (they are in full force downtown Raleigh). Officer clocked me at 47 in a 35. Wrote my ticket for 43 . They aren't worried about points or fines,they just want the cost of court which is over $200 now. Cha Ching. Irks me because I was coming up Hammond which is 45 into Raleigh and was down to 35 by the time I hit south park. Unfortunately they had someone hiding in the bushes where it switches to 35 on your way down the hill.Just felt like a cheap shot for a ticket.

I agree about Timber. It goes from 45-35 without much reason and they will pull you going 5 miles over. I'll often go down Benson Rd and turn up Timber just to avoid driving that stretch.

Oh last but not least. If your poor like me and have time to fight it. It's worth a shot. I've had several tickets dropped in the past because the cop not showing or on vacation etc... remember it's not so much the fine as the cost of court for minor infractions.
I actually did this in VA. The calibration test said my speedometer was 3 mph low, and it did help me. Now if Wake County doesn't accept this, that's a different point. But it did work for me. Also, sometimes speeding tix can be lowered to non-points, non-moving violations called something like "Failure to pay proper time and attention".

That's my actual experience in VA, not an urban legend.But it may work differently in Wake.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:57 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Biggs View Post
I actually did this in VA. The calibration test said my speedometer was 3 mph low, and it did help me. Now if Wake County doesn't accept this, that's a different point. But it did work for me. Also, sometimes speeding tix can be lowered to non-points, non-moving violations called something like "Failure to pay proper time and attention".

That's my actual experience in VA, not an urban legend.But it may work differently in Wake.
Yeah, the speedometer calibration thing worked 20 years ago. Lol. Now everything is electronic so there is no calibration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary