Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,895 times

Advertisements

I've accepted a job off of Capital Blvd and will be moving as soon as my home in Va sells. I am somewhat familiar with Raleigh business areas since I only live about 100 miles away......but I'm lost when it comes to choosing the right area of town to live in. I have a 6 year old...schools will be important and so will safety and ammenities. I understand that some newer suburban neighborhoods have pools etc....what are the pros and cons to choosing a more vintage neighborhood vs a new development. Home vs townhome...downtown vs suburbia..............help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:49 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquee1 View Post
I've accepted a job off of Capital Blvd and will be moving as soon as my home in Va sells. I am somewhat familiar with Raleigh business areas since I only live about 100 miles away......but I'm lost when it comes to choosing the right area of town to live in. I have a 6 year old...schools will be important and so will safety and ammenities. I understand that some newer suburban neighborhoods have pools etc....what are the pros and cons to choosing a more vintage neighborhood vs a new development. Home vs townhome...downtown vs suburbia..............help!
First thing that comes to mind is price point and what type of commute you want to have. Those to things will help narrow things down for you. What type of living experience are you looking for? You have lots of options in Raleigh. Everything from New planned communtieis with pools, tennis courts, and pocket parks, to older communites inside the 440 beltline (some can be quite epensive). There is also the option of living in one of the new condos in downtown raleigh or perhaps a historic neighborhood like Oakwood.

You have lots of options to choose from. What are you looking for?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:27 AM

58 posts, read 211,670 times
NRG is right. If you give us more information, we will be able to help you better. We are currently in the process or relocating from VA to Raleigh as well. We like you, are trying to sell our house... We also have a six month old daughter, so I have researched neighborhoods and schools quite a bit.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,895 times
Default more info on relocation

Thanks guys. top of price range is mid 200s. I like the idea of a community with a pool and pocket park. I'm not averse to looking into a townhome within one of those communities. downtown is soooo tempting...would there be any parks within walking distance?

Haven't thought much about the commute. I'm prepared to commute in order to find a safe/cheerful place to be.

Also, what are some choices for after school care that seem popular?

much appreciated!!

Old 01-20-2008, 04:37 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Places you might think about

Harrington grove
woodlawn
dominion park
kingsland ridge

all are in north raleigh, I am not sure where you will need to be on capital, but there are some great neighborhoods in your range in north raleigh.

Leigh

Old 01-20-2008, 05:28 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
I've lived in North Raleigh about 12 years, in areas around Capital.

Much new action around Triangle Town Center. Avoid Mini-City area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary