Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:05 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonmom View Post
We have been extremely happy in Flowers Plantation, and overall happy with the schools. I am especially pleased with Corinth High. Yes, it is crowded, but I feel my child is getting an excellent education. With high growth comes overcrowding issues, whether it is here or Wake County.
My kid at Corinth is not getting a challenging education. She has been doing science experiements i was doing with kids when I taught 2nd grade, and I am not kidding: digging chocolate chips out of cookies, using food coloring in bread, and other very elementary "labs".

i want to be happy with this area, but the schools don't compare. The schools my kids went to/would be going to are on our former state's top 20 list> corinth didnt even make a NC list. Crowded I could deal with, lazy teachers leave a lot to be desired. I am very critical since I did teach for 15 years, but there is no reason there should be so many lousy teachers in these schools.

We chose Johnston over Wake because we wanted stability with school assignments and neighborhood schools in walking distance, but there is a trade-off which we are still getting used to. I am hoping the quality of life here in NC is worth it. I love NC but am not happy with the schools. We can't afford to live in Chapel Hill so we'll stay put, but gosh, they have work to do with these schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 08:27 PM

38 posts, read 41,323 times
Do you have any experience with Archer Lodge? My son will be starting 6th grade there.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:55 PM

289 posts, read 489,585 times
michele327- I sent you a DM.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:01 PM

19 posts, read 26,484 times
We just moved to Clayton from TN at the end of February. I joined an online facebook group for Clayton Moms before we arrived here and they had only positive things to say about River Dell and Powhatan, so we found a house zoned for Powhatan. I spoke with the principal of River Dell during our house hunting and he was very helpful and kind. I don't have any experience with the high schools here, but my son attended a magnet school in TN (2nd grade) for high academic achievers and his school work here has been comparable to what he was doing in TN. He hasn't been bored, which I was honestly worried about. His teacher is excellent and we've had a great experience so far!

Also, I read in the local paper recently that they are planning to build a Powhatan Middle School (to open in 2018 I think it said). I hope that helps some and you end up loving it here!

Old 05-15-2015, 08:24 PM

19 posts, read 26,484 times
Found the link about the proposed school building projects:
Bond vote could come next spring | News & Observer News & Observer

Old 05-16-2015, 04:44 PM

615 posts, read 1,503,628 times
My friend is a 6th grade teacher at archer lodge and has about 25-30 students in her classes....with most being AIG/advanced students. It's a nice school with VERY involved parents.
Corinth Holders is also very nice with many AP class offerings and early college courses. I know many parents of seniors this year both there and cleveland high school in Clayton, and all are going to top notch colleges ( UNC Wilmingtin, Duke, VA tech etc) and/ or military service due to a great ROTC program. The Cleveland High athletic progrAms are wonderful and the Corinth holders arts/ band program also gets high marks from parents and teachers I know there.

I am a teacher in johnston county and a parent of a special needs teen and have been very satisfied and impressed with the schools and programs they offer, since moving here 8 years ago from New Jersey.

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2015, 06:56 AM

3 posts, read 3,458 times
We have sent three kids through Powhatan (including two AIG) and LOVE that school.

The Johnston County school board members do have a tendency to pat themselves on their backs in a self-congratulatory manner. I think the primary reason for improvement is the character of the population that has moved here. IMO, the school board needs some new blood

Old 05-17-2015, 12:33 PM

38 posts, read 41,323 times
Thank you so much for your help! We signed a contract yesterday. Have to sell my current home now :-)

Old 01-09-2016, 04:09 PM

45 posts, read 54,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post

I know its been a few months since you posted this but it appears that page is no longer available. Do you know of any updates to building new schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary